Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If the owner of the debit card didn't 'give' it away how did Keyes know the PIN ? The probability of him guessing a 4 digit number has to be 1,000's to 1.

This guy has to be involved but clearly they know hes not the killer .... this case gets weirder and weirder.
The FBI has showed the paperwork United States VS Keyes for electronic fraud, even before she came up missing (another case). That is why the Feds went looking for him to, he missed a Federal court hearing.

The CC/DC in question was stolen out of someone car in AK at 2:00 AM one morning.

Video
Feds Transporting Keyes: Alleged Fraud Charges | Coastal Television | Anchorage, AK News, Weather and Sports | Alaska News

Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 PM

222 posts, read 389,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's actually possible to use a debit card without a PIN if the clerk runs it as credit, and some retailers will add cash to the total. But if he used it at ATMs, he had to have had the PIN. You're right; it's weird.
There are some idiots that write their PIN on their card.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,559,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrot View Post
There are some idiots that write their PIN on their card.
Sadly when/if she was tortured, she may have been promised they would stop if they got the pin number from her. Cheep price to pay if they did, but clearly they could have lied if there is a connection.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
Quote:
It's actually possible to use a debit card without a PIN if the clerk runs it as credit, and some retailers will add cash to the total. But if he used it at ATMs, he had to have had the PIN. You're right; it's weird.
You can re-pin cards pretty easily. I can go into my bank and re-pin my card, and they don't even check my ID.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Sadly when/if she was tortured, she may have been promised they would stop if they got the pin number from her. Cheep price to pay if they did, but clearly they could have lied if there is a connection.
Starlite, the card wasn't hers. Now we are wondering if the card was used as 'payoff' for services rendered it has to connected with the case somehow. Either way someone somewhere knew where to find her and told the police.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
The person who killed Samantha is most likely the person who told them where to find the body.

If the person whose card was stolen was somehow involved, that person would be in police custody by now. Even if the card had been used as "payoff"...that would not and could not have been accomplished without an actual arrest. If the credit card holder had known of the whereabouts of her body, he would have been arrested. Law enforcement personnel do not have the authority to make the kind of "deals" that's been suggested.

These things rarely play out the way that they do in mystery novels.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
Quote:
The person who killed Samantha is most likely the person who told them where to find the body.

If the person whose card was stolen was somehow involved, that person would be in police custody by now. Even if the card had been used as "payoff"...that would not and could not have been accomplished without an actual arrest. If the credit card holder had known of the whereabouts of her body, he would have been arrested. Law enforcement personnel do not have the authority to make the kind of "deals" that's been suggested.

These things rarely play out the way that they do in mystery novels.
It wasn't fiction I got the deal info from, it was an Ann Rule true crime novel but the deal was made by the prosecutor, not law enforcement. From memory only, wasn't Gary Ridgeway-the Green River Killer-also promised things in return for his help in locating some victims? I read non-cheasy true crime to educate myself but it didn't help me very much in identifying an actual con artist in my own family.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
What I was referring to was the statement that perhaps the credit/debit card holder was somehow "in" on it and not anything that you said. My point, again, is that if the person who the card was stolen from offered info on where to find the body, that person would have been arrested by now. Again, law enforcement personnel doesn't get to make that call -- they don't have the choice whether or not to arrest someone if they supply evidence. That is not how the law works.

Any info that Ridgeway offered happened after his arrest. It isn't the same thing.

To put it as simply as I can -- if the credit card holder had told them where to find the body, that person would have been arrested by now. Someone in that position may be able to make "deals" with prosecuting attorneys, but they cannot make deals with arresting officers.

Again, I was not referring to your post about the Ann Rule book.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-06-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
Quote:
What I was referring to was the statement that perhaps the credit/debit card holder was somehow "in" on it and not anything that you said. My point, again, is that if the person who the card was stolen from offered info on where to find the body, that person would have been arrested by now. Again, law enforcement personnel doesn't get to make that call -- they don't have the choice whether or not to arrest someone if they supply evidence. That is not how the law works.

Any info that Ridgeway offered happened after his arrest. It isn't the same thing.

To put it as simply as I can -- if the credit card holder had told them where to find the body, that person would have been arrested by now. Someone in that position may be able to make "deals" with prosecuting attorneys, but they cannot make deals with arresting officers.

Again, I was not referring to your post about the Ann Rule book.

Oh, sorry. I agree with that

Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
The implication was not that the card holder was in on it but the person who stole the card in the first place.

In any case its going to be a while before anyone knows the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage