U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 PM

157 posts, read 118,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I refuse to be the first person through a green light anymore, that's darn near suicidal.
I hear you on that. I try and look and look to make sure someone isn't failing at stopping.

I'm a pokey driver in the winter. Heck, I'm a speed limit driver in the summer. I try not to slow down too much, but there have been a few times this winter when I was almost the person unable to stop at a red light. Many of the intersections just stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,516,113 times
Traffic was horendous ten years ago in Anchorage, I was sick of all of it. We changed our lifestyle and we walk everyplace we need to go. You would be surprised at how easy it is to access all parts of Anchorage by walking. Have you noticed some of the "drunks' and homeless ?? They walk everywhere in this town. .

Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,356,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Have you noticed some of the "drunks' and homeless ?? They walk everywhere in this town. .
Yeah, they don't usually have to be anywhere in a hurry, do they?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 AM

674 posts, read 863,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I actually think the long winter is wearing on the psyche of the people of this town. It's not just the recent transplants, they are mostly too busy going 13 mph on the Glenn because it snowed half an inch-but every day is another encounter with random acts of vehicular terrorism. I refuse to be the first person through a green light anymore, that's darn near suicidal.
Is road rage a problem there? Where I live it is mainly because of people driving too slow and being on cell phones. We have a lot of elderly too so it's not good, lol.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,578,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Compared to most of the world. There is no traffic.
Correct!

And once you have been here long enough you know all of the alternate routes and what to avoid at any given time of day. The only time I get stuck in "traffic" anymore is due to the unexpected wreck, or by not paying attention and inadvertently taking the wrong street.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:59 PM

1,344 posts, read 760,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
I'm a pokey driver in the winter. Heck, I'm a speed limit driver in the summer.
Please tell me you're not one of the wintertime jerks who drives 10 mph on the Glenn during rush hour because a little snow fell and made it a little wet and slushy or one of the "unsworn citizen cops" who drives side by side with the Subarus at or below the speed limit on the Glenn, holding up traffic by not speeding up or moving over for the other drivers because you feel they are "going too fast".

Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM

275 posts, read 264,949 times
So what I am learning from this thread is: Everyone who drives slower than me is an overly cautious jerk and those who drive faster are crazy maniacs.

Just Sayin...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM

260 posts, read 248,808 times
Rush hour traffic can be bad, I especially hate the Diamond/Seward area. But I disagree that drivers are bad here. They were way worse in the other states I lived in. Michigan drivers are absolutely terrible.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 AM

871 posts, read 650,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
So what I am learning from this thread is: Everyone who drives slower than me is an overly cautious jerk and those who drive faster are crazy maniacs.

Just Sayin...
I wanted to rep you for this.

The first thing that shocked me about Anchorage drivers was how many don't seem to realize that ice and snow make roads slippery. Each winter weather event is a revelation to some of these folks.

Other than that, my main gripe is people who block the crosswalk at intersections. It's hard enough being on foot here in winter, without having inattentive drivers force us into the paths of oncoming cars.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,265,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
We have a lot of elderly too so it's not good, lol.

I am reminded of an episode of South Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage