Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 AM

339 posts, read 588,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
I am a REAL ALASKAN, born and raised, unlike the vast majority of you people posting on this thread! I am not up there right now because I am attending college in Atlanta, GA, but every time I come up there for a visit it seems to be getting worse and worse because of people moving to AK from the Lower 48. These newcomers, as others have mentioned, mostly come from Texas and other Midwestern states and have an ignorant "Texas attitude" and most of them don't hold anything beyond a basic high school diploma.

These newcomers are bringing down the economy and trying to make Alaska like the other 49 states and REAL ALASKANS do NOT want that! I wish all these newcomers would just stop moving to AK.

And the PFD should only go to those that are BORN IN ALASKA!

Hmmm Did UAA and UAF close down? I guess you come from the ORIGINAL Alaskans? No? Then get off your high horse. Just because someone is born is Alaska it doesn't make them any better than someone not born there. I have seen "Alaskans" destroying Alaska, we'll leave out the vagrants and drunks, and "non-Alaskans" trying to preserve. Goes both ways. You are being ignorant. And what is a "Texas attitude"? Pompous and self-rightous? Sounds like you'ld fit right in. And YES I was not born in Alaska! I love Alaska and do not want to see her destroyed but I don't need to be born in Alaska to feel that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I don't care anymore. I have seriously been debating NOT coming back to AK after I graduate for the simple fact that it has changed so much and becoming like every other part of the U.S. So what's the point? I am done going back and forth with you people. The Anchorage thread is just RIDICULOUS!

Gee I thought one of the PFD rules on collecting while being Outside was your intent to return. Sounds like you are just being greedy and wanting that money while living out of state. And yes you are effectively living out of state. It does qualify you to keep getting the PFD while in school but only so long as you plan on returning and I think you have to return during school break. Anyway, move away and make more room for those staying. God help the South.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
These newcomers, as others have mentioned, mostly come from Texas and other Midwestern states and have an ignorant "Texas attitude" and most of them don't hold anything beyond a basic high school diploma.

These newcomers are bringing down the economy and trying to make Alaska like the other 49 states and REAL ALASKANS do NOT want that! I wish all these newcomers would just stop moving to AK.
What is a "Texas attitude", Sir Little Nutts ? Have you even been to Texas ? Do give us the data showing from where people are moving into Alaska, including percentages by state. Please do cite a reference for your data; otherwise you're just a comic windbag. Ditto for data regarding educational backgrounds of these transplants.

How is it that newcomers are "bringing down the [Alaskan] economy" and "trying to make Alaska like the other 49" ? You cited only one thing: the construction of an Olive Garden restaurant. Do you know who built it and/or owns it ? How is building a chain restaurant "bringing down the economy" ?

Your ignorance is laughable. Better transfer from Clark or Morehouse and go to a better school; you're not learning anything where you are.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Here's an interesting thought - if the city limits of Anchorage were populated at the same density as the city limits of Singapore, the city of Anchorage would not have 292,000 people - it would have 36,858,061. Now THAT would be quite a sight...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM

116 posts, read 546,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
Hmmm Did UAA and UAF close down? I guess you come from the ORIGINAL Alaskans? No? Then get off your high horse. Just because someone is born is Alaska it doesn't make them any better than someone not born there. I have seen "Alaskans" destroying Alaska, we'll leave out the vagrants and drunks, and "non-Alaskans" trying to preserve. Goes both ways. You are being ignorant. And what is a "Texas attitude"? Pompous and self-rightous? Sounds like you'ld fit right in. And YES I was not born in Alaska! I love Alaska and do not want to see her destroyed but I don't need to be born in Alaska to feel that way.
Amen to that. I have never even been to Alaska and i'm in love with it. My dream is to be a state trooper up there one day. I don't want to change it, if i wanted Alaska to be like were i'm from I would just stay were i'm at.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
I have never even been to Alaska and i'm in love with it.
Which really means you are in love with your idea of it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 PM

116 posts, read 546,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Which really means you are in love with your idea of it.
No. I'm in love with every thing I have researched about it, what people on this forum say about it, and the pictures I have seen of it.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 AM

When my ex and I request a transfer to Alaska it was based on what we had heard from his brother. This was back in '78 so all the shows hadn't even been aired. We love Ak. So go ahead and fall in love with Ak. I think in todays world there is little that isnt put out there for you to see about how Ak can be.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
While living there I ran into more people from Michigan then I can count.
Even the owner of Chimo Guns in Wasilla is from a smallish town about an hour from me, he's from Grayling MI.

And on the flip side, I'm still seeing quite a few AK plates here in Northern MI.
I wana know how chimo guns is still in buisness, their prices are sky high, anyone in their right mind would drive to anchorage to make any major gun purchase, unless they stay open from people buying a box of shells here and there.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Here's an interesting thought - if the city limits of Anchorage were populated at the same density as the city limits of Singapore, the city of Anchorage would not have 292,000 people - it would have 36,858,061. Now THAT would be quite a sight...
City limits of anchorage or limits of anchorage proper (ie where the main roads and infrastructure are). Most of anchorage city limits are unbuildable or military base land. Thats really the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage