Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM

339 posts, read 588,486 times

Advertisements

My appologies for my "short tempered" post yesterday. It had been a bad day full of putting up with a@@es. No excuse so I do regret the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
My appologies for my "short tempered" post yesterday. It had been a bad day full of putting up with a@@es. No excuse so I do regret the post.
I need a like button on here.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
I hit the wrong post to quote, I liked your first one before you apologized!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
So just curious but how long do I have to live in Alaska before I can call myself Alaskan?

I have an Alaskan drivers license, does that count? Maybe take a few years off the mandatory waiting period?

Is there a rulebook somewhere?
I've been here for a couple of years now, and have called myself an Alaskan most of that time (what else should I call myself, a Missourian, when I have no intention of returning?) But I think the moment I really started *feeling* like an Alaskan was the day last month when I was complaining about the dreadful heat and realized it was only 68. Bingo - Alaskan!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I've been here for a couple of years now, and have called myself an Alaskan most of that time (what else should I call myself, a Missourian, when I have no intention of returning?) But I think the moment I really started *feeling* like an Alaskan was the day last month when I was complaining about the dreadful heat and realized it was only 68. Bingo - Alaskan!
I seem to only meet women who love heat, and hate cold, and I can't stand the heat. Say, do you have a sister?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 AM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I hit the wrong post to quote, I liked your first one before you apologized!
It wasn't so much the whole post just the way I worded it, "get over it". It seemed a little harsh. I try to stay calm and not get antagonistic, enough of that already, so that was why I regretted the way I worded it. But thanks. I really have to start cutting back on Community Board meetings as they frustrate the daylights out of me. Bunch of egotistical, wanna-be dictators. Ahh life in a small town.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
That would be "legal" residency. I do believe the OP is reffering to what they believe are "Alaskan" standards. Funny thing is I was at a local Board meeting here in NCa, last night, and they were basically saying the same thing. Well actually only a few of the "born here" variety were saying it but they were wanting to know why the board members were on the board when they were not "from here". We, Americans, are a mobile society thus we move. Get over it those of you who are of the "I was born here so I am superior" variety.
Thank you. If you ever want to move to Georgia and consider yourself a Georgian(or go to any other state), there is no law that prohibits you from doing that. The same stands for me if I move from Georgia and go to any other state in this nation.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As long as Alaska remains a part of the USA, people like those you meet have every right to be in Alaska. The USA is a free country. Hanging up a "no vacancy" sign will just cause a lawsuit.
It seems that the States that have a low population and/or extreme weather conditions seem to have this attitude that it is "their" State and no one else's. As if their toughness to live through adverse nature gives them the right.

Alaska is the twice the size of Texas yet has one of the lowest populations. Texas is the second most populated State, yet has a heckofalot of open space. Alaska has room for a few extra transplants.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Well then I guess I can call myself Alaskan now because I was sweltering in Barrow's 62 on Thursday!

This was me:

2 Live Jews - Oy' It's So Humid - YouTube

Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Interesting. I do meet a lot of nurses and doctors who have just moved here. It's unfortunate that the educational system here hasn't caught up with the industry needs, or employers could hire Alaskan rather than importing.
It should be a source of shame that we don't have our own medical school, dental school, or law school.

Honestly, it's a no wonder why so many of our kids can't wait to go to school in the Outside and very few of them return. After all, what do we have to offer them in terms of professional post-graduate education?

The real shame is that our state has the financial resources to correct this situation, but we lack the political will and inclination to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage