U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM

535 posts, read 459,165 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads-up.

My wife and I are in North Texas, but she's Hungarian -- after living in her neck of the woods for a while, we miss the Real Winters(tm) and are investigating whether we could pull off a reloc up there with our girl. We'd definitely be in the "put down roots" rather than "make money and leave" category. Would love to see if you can make your own terra preta up there for gardening (gotta talk to the Mat folks).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 17,041 times
yes, a janitor of sorts, work w cardio unit ... in the 48, the salary is 50k/75k range at my level of exp. Salary profiles for AK do not seem to be current, even though the dates say that they are...a lot of discrepancy between what I have been told in the health field VS. statistical information I am researching. I know I would probably be fine, but it's a big move to wind up broke...ya know? Wanting to improve quality of life and just trying to weigh the facts here... Thanks for everyone's input~

Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM

199 posts, read 618,927 times
Talking Mind-sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Most people here are originally from somewhere else. If there was nobody new coming in this place would be a ghost town, since most kids who grow up here go off to the real world at some point. Maybe there are a few folks who get all sniffly about it, but it hadn't resulted in Armageddon just yet. I'm sure I'm biased, but I don't think people who happened to be born here are in some way superior to those who loved it here enough to move far away from their homes and families. If they call themselves Alaskans prematurely it's just because they're excited to live here. Better to get to know them and help steer them in the right direction than to sit there and complain.

Tigre79,
I live in a tourist town from March thru September-ish, so I feel what it is like to have a town full of visitors who come every year. [Virginia Beach, VA].
I appreciate your words. Once we have an empty nest, my husband and I plan to move to Alaska. We are thinking Wasilla or Palmer, but am kinda leaning toward the Butte area.
I do hope that I meet others with your mind-set. I have a lot to learn once we get there, and hope that there will be people willing to teach us.
Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,084,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
News flash for you all: EVERYWHERE you go these days, there are newcomers from "somewhere else."

I live in Chicago and half the people I work with are from places other than Chicago or even the midwest.

Its a fact that we live in an increasingly mobile society. People are moving around more than ever before. Deal with it.
Since this thread is awake again, I'll add a few thoughts...

I was chuckling through most of it -- if you did a "search and replace" and changed all the Alaska and Anchorage references to Hawaii and Honolulu, you could post this entire thing in the Hawaii Forum. People move to desirable places. End of story. Some make it, some don't. Some add to it, some detract. Oh well! Oh - and if you want a University there that has medical, law, and other things the kids leave to find... won't that involve bringing a LOT of non-natives up there? Food for thought.

I don't know what "native" i am... I was born in NY, but left at 4 months. Does that make me a "native newyorker? Gawd, I hope not. I grew up in the midwest and left at 17. So am I a native midwesterner? Or am I a native Hawaiian because I lived there for 3 decades? (answer - no. That would start THIS conversation up on that forum.) I'm just native to the universe in my head. How does that line go? "I live in my own little world, but it's OK because they all know me there."

One observation, though, is that ANY conversation on City-Data Forum telling people to NOT move is sort of silly. Isn't the over-arching goal of this website to HELP people MOVE??? Just sayin'

I saw an old M.A.S.H. show the other night. Colonel Potter picked up a newspaper and read from it, "The population of the United States just hit 150 million people. Wow."

And there is the real crux of all these conversations -- Our country's population has doubled since the Korean War. So in 50+ years every nook and cranny in the US is going to have the possibility of more people, more strip malls, more more more. Crime will go up. Things, unfortunately change. I imagine if there were a way for a lot of us to get on a plane and fly back to 1959, we might just do it. But we'll have to activate The Matrix to make that happen.

So here we are, sitting at our computers and doing what was unthinkable a few decades ago. We are exploring exciting new places to move from the comfort of our couches and office chairs. We are making friends online in far flung places. We are exchanging information, ideas, opinions, and plans for improving - or at least changing our lives -- all with the help of complete strangers.

I tip my hat to all of you who chimed in here. Even the negative comments are helpful. It's a good reminder to anyone moving anywhere to be conscious and conscientious of the lives that are being lived in our intended new homes.

I spent a great deal of my life in Hawaii and am now living in Phoenix, mostly for the good airport and the great country western dance places. But it is time to move on. And, sorry OP, I'm headed for AK in a few weeks to check out moving there. I have many friends there and several job prospects. I promise I am respectful; I bring job skills, good common sense, and a love of the outdoors. I don't want to change things, but I do know that moving there will change me... that's just the way Life works. I don't take up much space... Hopefully I can meet some of y'all while I'm there.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 2,641,943 times
Thumbs up Rep worthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Since this thread is awake again, I'll add a few thoughts...

I was chuckling through most of it -- if you did a "search and replace" and changed all the Alaska and Anchorage references to Hawaii and Honolulu, you could post this entire thing in the Hawaii Forum. People move to desirable places. End of story. Some make it, some don't. Some add to it, some detract. Oh well! Oh - and if you want a University there that has medical, law, and other things the kids leave to find... won't that involve bringing a LOT of non-natives up there? Food for thought.

I don't know what "native" i am... I was born in NY, but left at 4 months. Does that make me a "native newyorker? Gawd, I hope not. I grew up in the midwest and left at 17. So am I a native midwesterner? Or am I a native Hawaiian because I lived there for 3 decades? (answer - no. That would start THIS conversation up on that forum.) I'm just native to the universe in my head. How does that line go? "I live in my own little world, but it's OK because they all know me there."

One observation, though, is that ANY conversation on City-Data Forum telling people to NOT move is sort of silly. Isn't the over-arching goal of this website to HELP people MOVE??? Just sayin'

I saw an old M.A.S.H. show the other night. Colonel Potter picked up a newspaper and read from it, "The population of the United States just hit 150 million people. Wow."

And there is the real crux of all these conversations -- Our country's population has doubled since the Korean War. So in 50+ years every nook and cranny in the US is going to have the possibility of more people, more strip malls, more more more. Crime will go up. Things, unfortunately change. I imagine if there were a way for a lot of us to get on a plane and fly back to 1959, we might just do it. But we'll have to activate The Matrix to make that happen.

So here we are, sitting at our computers and doing what was unthinkable a few decades ago. We are exploring exciting new places to move from the comfort of our couches and office chairs. We are making friends online in far flung places. We are exchanging information, ideas, opinions, and plans for improving - or at least changing our lives -- all with the help of complete strangers.

I tip my hat to all of you who chimed in here. Even the negative comments are helpful. It's a good reminder to anyone moving anywhere to be conscious and conscientious of the lives that are being lived in our intended new homes.

I spent a great deal of my life in Hawaii and am now living in Phoenix, mostly for the good airport and the great country western dance places. But it is time to move on. And, sorry OP, I'm headed for AK in a few weeks to check out moving there. I have many friends there and several job prospects. I promise I am respectful; I bring job skills, good common sense, and a love of the outdoors. I don't want to change things, but I do know that moving there will change me... that's just the way Life works. I don't take up much space... Hopefully I can meet some of y'all while I'm there.
I know that for the sake of taking up less space I shoould be only highlighting the best parts of the above post and make my commentary, however, this (yep, all of it) had to be said and has been said very well in my opinion.

I hope if you haven't read it that you will read it and if you have already read it, read it again and allow it to sink in...and God Bless America and each and every one of us!

Bravo R_Cowgirl, great read!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,065 times
I have spent my life in Alaska. It is always a trip to hear people complain about "outsiders moving here" especially when they are transplanted themselves, which accounts for everyone with the exception of our indigenous Native Alaskans. I have traveled for my work with Alaskan Native Health Services, all over the state, including many of our Alaskan Native villages , and rural hub towns. Over the years I have met scores of different people who call Alaska home. It is always interesting to me , as to how territorial we as humans are..wherever we lay down our nest , some of us choose to immediately begin to judge those "newcomers who come to town". I have been in areas where if a person has been married for 40 years, and the spouse is from another state, country or the next village over ..they are an outsider. I have come to look at individuals who come to Alaska , become familiar with the land, cultures and adapt to rural living ..especially those who contribute to their neighbors and community , generally do not have time to be "territorial". I tend to look at the type of people who come to live in Alaska today. Are they active, do they appreciate our Great Land? Or are they running from something, trying to suck off resources and /or collect permanent fund checks for their 10 kids?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM

3,764 posts, read 6,706,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Bravo R_Cowgirl, great read!
Make that a double bravo to Cowgirl! Well said!

Hope the OP reads it.....

Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM

44 posts, read 65,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Make that a double bravo to Cowgirl! Well said!

Hope the OP reads it.....
Weeeepeee for the Cowgirl!!!

Hey, my family goes like this......Two Brothers from Spain to the Carribean, they got married, had kids and the kids got more kids etc....today is a huge family of about 30k or more...some came to the states, some to other places. Today, from my parents to the youngest one, we are in almost all the 48 states. and here we are fixing to go to Alaska. Any questions? This is with my family and it happen with every single one of us and our families. That's why we have so many people in the world. Think simple! 1+1=2.....and so on....

:shocked ::rol leyes:

Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,161,123 times
RavenTrax - Unless you are a 'native american' we are all outsiders wherever we live in what today is known as the United States. I don't get the outsider thing, maybe because I live in an area that more people are from somewhere else, other than 'here'.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM

674 posts, read 597,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
RavenTrax - Unless you are a 'native american' we are all outsiders wherever we live in what today is known as the United States. I don't get the outsider thing, maybe because I live in an area that more people are from somewhere else, other than 'here'.
If you go back far enough (~14,000 years) we're all outsiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage