U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM

207 posts, read 137,434 times
Default Anchorage is full

It can't just be me - does anyone else think there are way too many newcomers in Anchorage now? It seems like everyone I meet is from Texas or the Midwest. Is that why the city seems so damn crowded these days; an influx of outsiders? What's the deal?

It probably seems like I'm a total grouch, but these people always act like I should be THRILLED that they moved to my town, and just fascinated by the fact that they up and moved to Alaska. Most of the time they are nice people but dang, Anchorage has changed so much in the last 10 years and I think it's because we have way too many people here. So no, I'm not thrilled to see you move here. I get annoyed when you call yourselves "Alaskans" having been here one year. I am tired of meeting people who didn't grow up here, it's changing the character of the region.

Actually, it already has changed the character of the region. I bet it can't be saved at this point.

Can we hang out a "no vacancy" sign already?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM

120 posts, read 226,797 times
Although I no longer live there, I completely understand (I currently am in the Midwest). It was that way during the pipeline, too. Seemed everyone was from Texas or Oklahoma. Helly Hansens and a husky do not an Alaskan make.

I remember when we had to park along the highway and hike into Russia River. If someone was close enough for us to see them, we walked a little ways upstream until we were by ourselves again. And you could use treble hooks to snag 'em. Oh, the good ol' days!

What I don't understand is what jobs are there up there for them? Isn't it pretty much limited to Government/Oil/Retail?

Unread 04-14-2012, 04:03 PM

4,016 posts, read 4,343,062 times
No, there are plenty of other corporate and healthcare jobs potentially.

Unread 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,366,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
It can't just be me - does anyone else think there are way too many newcomers in Anchorage now? It seems like everyone I meet is from Texas or the Midwest. Is that why the city seems so damn crowded these days; an influx of outsiders? What's the deal?

It probably seems like I'm a total grouch, but these people always act like I should be THRILLED that they moved to my town, and just fascinated by the fact that they up and moved to Alaska. Most of the time they are nice people but dang, Anchorage has changed so much in the last 10 years and I think it's because we have way too many people here. So no, I'm not thrilled to see you move here. I get annoyed when you call yourselves "Alaskans" having been here one year. I am tired of meeting people who didn't grow up here, it's changing the character of the region.

Actually, it already has changed the character of the region. I bet it can't be saved at this point.

Can we hang out a "no vacancy" sign already?
First of all you say 'my town' - hmmm wasn't aware it was privately owned. Were you born here?? BTW before you ask I've been here 11 years and..I'm originally from the Midwest.

We live in the Valley but yes Anchorage is crowded, but what can you do.

Unread 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

6,399 posts, read 6,709,059 times
Don't forget, the Mat-Su valley was founded by people from the Mid-West.

Unread 04-14-2012, 05:53 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,366,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Don't forget, the Mat-Su valley was founded by people from the Mid-West.
Yes, I forgot that. Thanks.

Unread 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM

6,399 posts, read 6,709,059 times
While living there I ran into more people from Michigan then I can count.
Even the owner of Chimo Guns in Wasilla is from a smallish town about an hour from me, he's from Grayling MI.

And on the flip side, I'm still seeing quite a few AK plates here in Northern MI.

Unread 04-14-2012, 09:22 PM

15,400 posts, read 13,842,961 times
I think that it's pretty normal in any city these days to have a lot of "transplants."

To the OP: Human beings are hardwired to move away from where they grew up. It's in our genetic code because it prevents the human race from becoming an inbred mess. There are plenty of people who were born and raised in Alaska who no longer live there as well. Stop whining.

Unread 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM

118 posts, read 95,777 times
I transplanted from washington state this is not a problem isolated to anchorage. Right before I left i found myself thinking that if I had to listen to one more person say "Back home in TEXAS" or "They have real beaches in California" that I could have been the next famous serial killer in the pacific northwest.

There doesn't seem to be many of them here in southeast Although I'm sure the locals see me as an infidel.

Unread 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 1,917,927 times
Most people here are originally from somewhere else. If there was nobody new coming in this place would be a ghost town, since most kids who grow up here go off to the real world at some point. Maybe there are a few folks who get all sniffly about it, but it hadn't resulted in Armageddon just yet. I'm sure I'm biased, but I don't think people who happened to be born here are in some way superior to those who loved it here enough to move far away from their homes and families. If they call themselves Alaskans prematurely it's just because they're excited to live here. Better to get to know them and help steer them in the right direction than to sit there and complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage