Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,106,585 times

Advertisements

Jackie's Place on Spenard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 AM

33 posts, read 45,036 times
We like to go to:

Haru Sushi - my fav is Haru Berry roll (with raspberry sauce on top )
Thai Kitchen on East Tudor
Simon and Seafort - pricey, but it makes any "go out" special! Dont leave without trying their Crab and Artichoke Dip! I also love their Raspberry Mojitos and Cheff's Seafood salad! And Happy Hour deals are awesome too!
Larrys Cocoon - we ve been avoiding this place until recently and just laughed about the name But heard good reviews from friends, so decided to try - and we were not diappointed. Warning - their portions are huge!!!
Antonio's Bakery - greek place in the plaza behind the City Diner on Minnesota. Appetizers are great, and i really like their cabbage leaves stuffed with minced meat/rice/etc - reminds me of similar dish back home... And every time we ve been to this place they gave us complimentary decert!
Humpy's - Big Burger is the best
Tommy's Burger Stop - not a good place to dine in- but burgers were pretty good. So take away might be the best option! Must try their milkshakes!
Moose's Tooth - that beer and pizza and warm marinara sauce on a side to dip the crust... Yummy!
Spenard Roadhouse
Snow City Cafe

Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
I've read this with interest since I just bought a condo there for summers and eat out almost daily as a matter of preference, since I'm single. That said, even though I've traveled a lot, I'm not a foodie. I eat out for convenience and usually prefer quieter, smaller places and most often a late breakfast or late lunch/early dinner. I can even do Denny's for pancakes. : ) I really haven't found any in Anchorage yet that will be regular stops yet and hope to. I have an Anchorage friend who's traveled extensively, is a foodie and gourmet cook, and we've gone to a couple of her favorites.

Here are some I've tried.
City Diner-have eaten there 2-3 times over past couple years and liked it. I had french dip last-lean and good. Foodie friend doesn't do diners so no rating from her. : )
Great Harvest Bread-I liked sandwiches, but I sure wish they had soups and a quieter room. Any great place for soups?

Snow City-good. I've only been there once with foodie friend for dinner. She's a fan.
Bradley House- no one has mentioned it, but my foodie friend is a fan. I've eaten there 3 times for dinner and it's been fine, though it's a bit small and crowded feeling.
Gwennie's-had breakfast once and it was fine. Had a cheese burger and it was good, but it's a rare order for me.
Moose's tooth-have eaten there twice, but only go if I have out of town visitors. They seem to like it and foodie friend is a fan. I'm really not.

Thanks to those who've suggested Thai places. I'll reck this thread later for one. I lived in Fairbanks for years where there are several good ones and really miss Thai when I leave for winters-Alaska beats Atlanta for Thai. : ) I tried one on E Tudor and neither the service nor the food was good. It was in a strip mall-is that the Thai Kitchen? (BTW, if you overnight when passing thru Seattle, try Mango's Thai food near airport. Had it a couple days ago-excellent.)

I also want to try some Mexican places and will look back thru list. We used to go to La Mex when we'd visit, but the last couple summers, the food's just been fair. I also tried one on East Northern Lights and one time the food was fine and the next time, the service and food were not good at all, despite it being a very quiet day.
Vagabond's in the Valley seems to have decent soup. They make this Hungarian Mushroom that was amazing.
My hubby is a Pho' fanatic and loves his Pho. He feels that the best Pho is at Pho Siagon (we do the one in the Tikatnu Commons) I'm also a Pho Siagon fan but I love the Larb! That stuff is awesome. I recommend going for dinner as it's packed at Lunch time with the military crowd.
Also, try the Safeway/Carrs Deli for lunch. They have decent soups, nice sandwiches (some hot, some cold) and until Nov 10, the lunch deal is $7 for soup, sand and soda.

I once had the clam chowder at Arctic Roadrunner (next to Peanut Farm) and about gagged. It was the grossest thing ever. Also, Ruby's had super yucky soup. It was tasteless, and I think yesterday's soup cause the rice in the "chicken and rice" was so over cooked it was like porridge.

So far my favorite Thai place is Thai Village on Muldoon. I go there for Lunch and get the lunch special with Green Curry. I love curry!

There was a cute Thai place in Fremont CA near our aprt. that had some of the best curry, but I'm not sure if it was due to being pregnant or if they truly had the best curry.

The best and most consistently good Mexican food we have found it at Taco King. My personal favorite one is located on E. Tudor.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 AM

76 posts, read 153,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Vagabond's in the Valley seems to have decent soup. They make this Hungarian Mushroom that was amazing.
My hubby is a Pho' fanatic and loves his Pho. He feels that the best Pho is at Pho Siagon (we do the one in the Tikatnu Commons) I'm also a Pho Siagon fan but I love the Larb! That stuff is awesome. I recommend going for dinner as it's packed at Lunch time with the military crowd.
Also, try the Safeway/Carrs Deli for lunch. They have decent soups, nice sandwiches (some hot, some cold) and until Nov 10, the lunch deal is $7 for soup, sand and soda.

I once had the clam chowder at Arctic Roadrunner (next to Peanut Farm) and about gagged. It was the grossest thing ever. Also, Ruby's had super yucky soup. It was tasteless, and I think yesterday's soup cause the rice in the "chicken and rice" was so over cooked it was like porridge.

So far my favorite Thai place is Thai Village on Muldoon. I go there for Lunch and get the lunch special with Green Curry. I love curry!

There was a cute Thai place in Fremont CA near our aprt. that had some of the best curry, but I'm not sure if it was due to being pregnant or if they truly had the best curry.

The best and most consistently good Mexican food we have found it at Taco King. My personal favorite one is located on E. Tudor.

I agree!!!!!! The Pho at Pho Saigon is amazing!!!!!!!!! I am addicted, I have it probably once a week *lol*
I also live only 5 minutes away Their egg rolls and fried rice are pretty good also I think.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
One of the better burgers in town is the Whaler Burger at the Whaler on Muldoon. (I know, surprising) While there... order a Clam/Whaler (it's a drink that you share with whomever you are with).

Steak - Used to be Club Paris (aka Club P). Something has changed over time... place is looking a we bit run down. I prefer Sullivan's now.

Entertainment While Eating - The Bear Tooth Theater. They're burritos are delicious and it's the same pizza that you find at the Moose's Tooth. Keep this in mind if you want Moose's Tooth pizza without the crazy line. They also have several of their beers as well.

Mexican - Gallos - La Mex used to be the place... but it's been going downhill for awhile. Pancho's Villa in Spenard is good.. but the atmosphere not so much.

Place to take visitors for atmosphere and food - Glacier Brewhouse. This place is noisy but the decor is great. The food is a bit more modern and fancy. This is downtown so if you are in the area for dinner, check it out.

Place to take visitors for fun atmosphere and crappy food and worse service
- Sourdough Mining Company. This place used to be great 10 - 15 years ago. Now it is a tourist trap, shuttles are always visiting. The quality of food and service has dropped significantly as most of their clientele are one time visitors now. A real shame. Also, be sure to check out Wildberry Products across the street.

Seafood -Simon & Seafort's. Dress nice. beautiful view of the inlet, delicious food and fine wine.

Breakfast - Gwennies. Be sure to try their Reindeer Sausage. This is also a great place for visitors to go for Breakfast. It's old school Alaska.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM

275 posts, read 579,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sava_baby View Post
I agree!!!!!! The Pho at Pho Saigon is amazing!!!!!!!!! I am addicted, I have it probably once a week *lol*
I went to Pho Siagon at Tikatnu Commons for the first time this week after your and roadfamily6now's recommendation. The Pho was fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation. It's now on my list of favorte places.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
I went to Pho Siagon at Tikatnu Commons for the first time this week after your and roadfamily6now's recommendation. The Pho was fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation. It's now on my list of favorte places.

Yeah! I'm so happy to hear that.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM

76 posts, read 153,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Glad you liked it

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,106,585 times
Dirty Dining: A Look at Anchorage Health Inspection Reports - ktuu.com

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM

OMG! Thanks for posting that. I'm thoroughly grossed out now but I needed to see that.

I was able to make out a few of those restaurants from the list on the video
1. Bombay Deluxe
2. Fire Tap
3. Thai Town
4. Benny's Food Wagon
5. Dragon Restaurant
6. Fukumari Teriyaki
7. Korean Garden
8. Pho King
9. Don Jose
10. I love Sushi
11. Organic Oasis
12. Dish
13. Kansha Japanese
14. Leroy's
15. OEC Restaurant
16. Pho Jula
17. Popeye's

Last edited by roadfamily6now; 11-12-2012 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage