Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 12,334 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are dead set on moving to Anchorage, have been for a while now. She will be completing her BSN and getting a year's experience before we move up there so she is more likely to get a job when we get there. I on the other hand am in charge of a team of machinists at a metal fab shop. I can machine, program CNC, and weld. When I have searched around, I don't see much in the way of metal fabrication job listings in Anchorage. Just suggestions to go work for the oil companies. We are also animal people, and we will probably have a pug, a great dane and a cat when the time comes to move up there.

So my questions boil down to this:

Is there ANY hope in finding a rental place that will allow us a cat, a small dog, and a great dane?

Are there any metal shops in Anchorage?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Check back about 3 or 4 months before you're ready to move. Things change up here. Wiedner is now renting to people with animals. Good luck!!!

http://www.weidner.com/weidnerapartm...nce=&Community=

Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the tip stiffnecked. You're right about waiting. I just get anxious and worry about things that are way ahead of me. It's what I do best.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Any pets in Anchorage will cause problems when trying to find a rental - I called well over thirty different places before I found my apartment building (they only allow one small cat OR dog, but I managed to convince them to allow both my cat and dog).

Small pets (under 25 lb) are easier when it comes to finding a landlord willing to accept them, and the best options that I know of is Weidner and the McKinley Building (apart from some smaller, private rental homes). The great Dane however might be a problem, especially in Anchorage. I don't know how e.g. Eagle River does regarding pets and rentals, but you might have better luck there (there's more private rentals there too).

I haven't needed a metal shop this far (thankfully - to be honest, I'm not sure what they are but I assume they have something to do with cars?) so I can't help you out on that one. I assume they are around though.

Hope this helps a little

Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Before buying our house, we rented with Weidner with 3 pets, no problems.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Good to know bongo, thanks!

I think we will be waiting on the dane until we have our own place. But we will still need a home for a pug and a cat.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM

339 posts, read 588,098 times
We had no problem finding a rental, in Anch, with our pets. We had a chihuahua/terrier mix and a cat. Our final choice was leary but once they met our WELL-BEHAVED pets they were ok with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage