Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,426 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my name is Doug and I had a few questions for the folks living in Anchorage. I am a Journeyman Electrician in Michigan currently, and my wife is a Pharmacy Technician. While my licensing may not transfer to Alaska, and it may take time to become licensed, I can still work as an Electrician ect... My question is this, I have been able to get quite the nest egg in my checking account saved up to get the heck out of Michigan. I don't know the situation there as far as jobs besides what I see on Craigslist, and I've inquired a bit into a few different jobs, so has the wife, but what's the situation coming from a resident, like how in demand is an electrician, and pharmacy tech...ect. How are the schools? As we have a 3.5 year old coming as well. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
I know a few years back there was a demand for pharmacy people... I'm not sure about now.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9sc-doug View Post
Hey all, my name is Doug and I had a few questions for the folks living in Anchorage. I am a Journeyman Electrician in Michigan currently, and my wife is a Pharmacy Technician. While my licensing may not transfer to Alaska, and it may take time to become licensed, I can still work as an Electrician ect... My question is this, I have been able to get quite the nest egg in my checking account saved up to get the heck out of Michigan. I don't know the situation there as far as jobs besides what I see on Craigslist, and I've inquired a bit into a few different jobs, so has the wife, but what's the situation coming from a resident, like how in demand is an electrician, and pharmacy tech...ect. How are the schools? As we have a 3.5 year old coming as well. Thank you for your input.

We drove the Cassiar back in 2002 and it took a day and a half from Alaska to Washington, the road was mostly paved and there was road construction, but still drive-able. And the scenery was awesome.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 PM

28 posts, read 43,115 times
In regard to pharmacy tech jobs, there are chain stores with pharmacies here in Alaska. The places that come to mind immediately are: Target, Walmart, Sams Club, Fred Meyer and Walgreens. There are multiple locations for each of these in Anchorage while in Wasilla there is only one location for each; Target, Walmart, Fred Meyer and Walgreens. There is a Fred Meyer (mid-size grocery/discount store similar to Meijers in Michigan) in most larger cities in AK. All of these businesses have websites which I imagine would have a "careers" tab so that you could gather more info.

The schools in the Mat-Su Valley (palmer/wasilla area) are good and I hear good things about the schools in Eagle River (suburb of Anchorage). I am not familiar with any of the other schools in Anchorage.

We moved from Michigan to the Matsu valley last summer. It is everything we'd hoped! Good luck to you and your family!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM

75 posts, read 304,452 times
Just curious Have you ever been to Alaska before ?
Do you know what you are moving to ?
It is a very beautiful state and the people are firm republicans for the most part... very kind and decent people to be sure.
You will always be safe asking for help as people are willing to help others here who are truly in need....
BUT.... the cost of a rental that is in a location that may be less then desirable such as drug issues and such ( which my family learned first hand about in the Mat-Su valley area ) ... that may be the issue.You cant always be sure of the good areas vs the bad areas like that unless you ask a realtor point blank... what is the better side of town to live in and where should I stay away from .... Some / most will be truthful with you ... but if they say something like oh well all areas up here are safe and good... they are FULL of it... As any location you always have your good and bad....period !

Sounds like you have good careers... but if you are coming without work... I would suggest you prepare yourself for the cost of hotels in the summer months until you find a rental... they range high you can google them and call each one to get a truthful estimate of what you will be looking at that way... That alone will suck through alot of your resources until you have work... then you need to include food costs while you are in a hotel which is always more costly when you have to go out to eat every day....
I dont want to discourage you ... but I also dont want you to think that it will be a piece of cake... We lived here for some time now... but in all honesty as MUCH as I do love Alaska and all its splendor .... I would prefer to do what many end up doing when they can ... and only do it 3-6 months out of a year at a time.... Flying out for the winter is my goal at this point so that I can continue to love this state and all it has to offer... otherwise like many others it grow hard with the dark winters and certain costs on living ect.... making it hard to stay happy here....
Come up with real facts and figures.... CALL the realtors ect... CALL the hotels ect.... get REAL numbers ... dont rely on people in the forum for that info only.... You could even call Safeway to get REAL price checks on certain foods up here so you know what you are looking at that way as well.... Also ... Safeway has a pharmacy also... just so you know.

As far as Journeyman Elect.... have you applied for Slope work ?
Try through companies such as Fircroft ... they contract up there and are A GREAT company to work for and with !!! regardless you can also look on indeed.com , oilcareers.com, as well as other sites such as those...Google oil and gas job search sites and then look for jobs on them in Alaska....

Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM

75 posts, read 304,452 times
BUT.... the cost of a rental that ISNT ( SORRY ABOUT THE MISTYPE BEFORE ) in a location that may be less then desirable such as drug issues and such ( which my family learned first hand about in the Mat-Su valley area ) ... that may be the issue

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM

261 posts, read 506,118 times
I moved here from Michigan. The job market is exceptional if you can pass a background check and a drug test. Jobs are plentiful, not like Michigan at all. The cost of living isnt as bad as people say. I'm paying the same for my place as I did when I lived in Ann Arbor. Food is more pricey here, thats the only drawback.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Careers with YKHC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage