Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,382 times

Advertisements

Here's my question I will be moving from Alaska to OR. I have a uhaul 17foot box van with a trailer. 2wheel. So have anyone done this in Nov? Also what about a fifth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM

63 posts, read 168,474 times
I've heard the Alcan is totally driveable throughout most of winter. Of course, it will be difficult driving, you will have to be very careful. But it is all plowed and maintained in the winter, and many folks drive it year-round.

Just be careful to always tank up. I just drove the Alcan two weeks ago, and many gas/food/rest places were already starting to close down for the season.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Everytime I've done the highway has been in the winter. Once with two mini buses, once with a uHaul truck pulling a car trailer and three times in a Subaru Justy.
I always suggest a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion it's the best guide to the drive.

The only thing that would mess you up is an unexpected snow storm. If it's a lot it might take them a day or two to get things cleared up. Just plan on slowing down if things get icy.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM

202 posts, read 355,880 times
does your trailer have brakes? I think in B.C. if over 3500 lbs must have brakes.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
does your trailer have brakes? I think in B.C. if over 3500 lbs must have brakes.
Most states require that as well, not that you have as good a chance at being inspected in the US as you do in Canada.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Beware of bitter cold. By that I mean -30F or colder. Vehicle systems start to fail at super cold temperatures. I wouldn't want to bet my life on a U-Haul performing well at those temps or below. In November you should be able to avoid most of that. If you can get chains for that van through U-haul do it. There are several big grades that you do not want to lose traction on. When the signs say chain up, do it when hauling loads. Much better safe than sorry.

Research the other threads about Alcan driving in the winter. There are issues with services being limited or open at all. Drive the section between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson in daylight or plan to stop somewhere before dark. There are many reasons for this advice. Get the Milepost and call all of the places that you plan to stop for the night or fuel to check if they will be open and their hours. Take those answers with a grain of salt. Some you can take to the bank, others, well we've had to pass places that said they were going to be open when we called a month or two prior but the 3' wall of untracked snow in their drives told us that they weren't. Always have plan B.

Good luck on your move.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM

313 posts, read 324,510 times
All good advise. Dont take the cassier highway. They claim it saves time, but its not worth it. Battery cables or a jumper box and a tow strap would be worth taking. My uncle ran off the road and if they had not had there winter clothes easily accessible might have died. A road grader came by after 5 hours and pulled them out. Gives them a nice story but could have been really bad. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM

287 posts, read 598,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Most states require that as well, not that you have as good a chance at being inspected in the US as you do in Canada.
What about at the border?

It sounds like you are not comfortable driving a vehicle this size in the snow... maybe you should consider another alternative...

Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Anything is possible, but I saw more all vehicles over x tons must pull over in Canada and a bigger sign that said this INCLUDES RVs.

I saw one sign like that in the US and cannot for the life of me remember which one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage