U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM

43 posts, read 129,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'm thinking they were calling all Alaskans "Native," when for most here, "Native" refers to the local Indian and Eskimo tribes. When used in the right context, it's not a slur. Some non-natives might take offense to it. Yes, I was wondering about it too, until I thought about the context.
Yes, this is what I meant.

I said "close to" a slur right? (this is the only way I can think to describe it based on reactions)

I don't consider it that way, but I'm also not "from here" I just got a lot of negative feed back when asking non alaskan tribe members if they were native alaskans (white people).

it SHOULD NOT be a negative term, but reality isn't always as it should be either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 AM

27 posts, read 53,404 times
People in the South, regardless of the state, take great pride in being a Native as the term is understood as where one was born. That's particularly true here in SC. I am now, and always will be an outsider here, as well as my native born children since we haven't lived here for at least 3 generations! "Yankees," "Rebels," "Hillbillies," "Rednecks" -- they're still fighting the war around here! I'd like to get away from that too. As for weather- we'll take some cold and snow over 110 degree weeks in July and August. Its becoming unbearable here.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM

110 degree's may be unbearable, but keep in mind that -20 degree's(not that it happens all that often) can quickly become FATAL.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
We have fatalities here due to the heat (and heat exhaustion/dehydration) as well. Triple digit heat and heat indexes are not 'safe' either. Maybe not quite as dangerous as -20 and lower, but still dangerous.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 AM

1,926 posts, read 3,711,488 times
Sounds like a grand adventure! Have fun.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM

We are going up Feb 27 and staying a little over a week for my interview and to look around.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbpsc View Post
We are going up Feb 27 and staying a little over a week for my interview and to look around.
Bring a jacket, and apparently an umbrella, it's raining right now (???)

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 PM

And hats and gloves I'm sure! How popular are Jeep CJ's there? And is there and place to go and drive them? They've closed almost every place to go 4wd here. My poor CJ just sits most of the time because of it.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,711,488 times
Visit the guys at the Shell Station, on the corner of Boniface and Debarr. Jerry's the guy you want to talk to. They have a Jeep and 4X4 Club.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,495,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbpsc View Post
How popular are Jeep CJ's there? And is there and place to go and drive them? They've closed almost every place to go 4wd here. My poor CJ just sits most of the time because of it.
Most off roading up here is done on 4-wheelers, because the trails tend to be very wet and boggy. "Muddin" isn't very fun when you get hopelessly stuck... There are a few places I know people take full size rigs, especially in the Mat-Su. Jim Creek, Kings River, some of the old mining spurs off Hatcher Pass Road, way out Petersville Road, etc. There are lots of places to ride 4-wheelers (and dirt bikes, though they're not as popular) around most of the accessible parts of the state. Only the trails immediately behind Anchorage (and few other scattered areas) are single track, non-motorized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage