Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,166 times

Advertisements

I know its better to have a position secure but thats easier said than done when I live on the opposite side of the country. I've applied to a few positions there but they just don't want someone from Florida.

There seems to be plenty of work up there for someone with my background doing advertising/marketing/web for local businesses, some of my clients are from there having done some advertising work for GCI, Alaska United Fiber, Ocean Beauty Seafoods and a few others. At this very moment I'm putting together something to send to a client in Sitka.

How much money do you all think is necessary to have saved up before moving there if it takes me a couple of months to make connections and land something permanent? I'm healthy, single and completely debt free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times
My opinion: $6,000 to get a place and survive for a couple of months. Plus the cost of getting up here.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM

96 posts, read 221,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
My opinion: $6,000 to get a place and survive for a couple of months. Plus the cost of getting up here.
For 2 months minimum...but you can't count on getting work in 2 months (though you might find a job right away, I have seen a few jobs in your field advertised recently ), so I would say $8-10k just to be safe.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Between 6K to 10K. Quality rentals aren't cheap here. And with some landlords wanting the first and last months rent as well as a deposit up front that can add up pretty quick.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM

284 posts, read 404,557 times
We are moving to SE AK. from way south Florida in April. We have jobs there. The cost for us to get there is going to be about 2700. We also are moving our stuff--another 5000-6000. We are driving to Bellingham, Washington then hopping the ferry. Ferry ride including cabin, vehicle and dog is 1535.
We did work in Anchorage and drove it from N.C. a few years back--awesome drive and took 8 days. Threw that in there in case you were thinking of driving! As for cost, got to agree with whats been said--it is expensive in AK. We will be renting and thats going to run 1800/mth & thats a one bedroom house! Groceries are about the same as the in the Keys. Its an awesome place--thats why we are going back. Great people and great fishing and hunting opportunities!
Good luck!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 168,465 times
$50,000 at a minimum.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM

90 posts, read 165,122 times
My wife and I moved from Virginia to Anchorage in August. We drove (added expense of hotels and gas). We planned and saved for 2 years. We had 17k when we left and I must say we needed almost all of it when all was said and done. No place to stay and no jobs, although we had interviews. We needed about 2k just to move in to our apartment, plus furnishings and down payment on a 2nd vehicle. It adds up MUCH more quickly then you may think. We made it work.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
$50,000 at a minimum.
Really!? One needs enough to live for 2-3 months and a one way ticket back in case things don't work out. I'd say $10-15k is more than enough. It really depends on what standard of living you want.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Alot is personally dependent on your expenses, but let's say you wanted to give yourself 3 months. Below is my research for prices in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. I welcome residents adjustments to my figures. I need a 3 bedroom place and there are 4 of us.

Let's do the math:

1. Round trip to AK moving your stuff both ways. ($7000 - $10000) 2 cars.
2. First, last, security for rent ($6000)
3. food ($3000)
4. Fuel ($1500)
5. Internet/phone ($450)
6. Heat/electric ($1000)
If you are going to be there in the winter and are from a warm climate add:

$1200 or so for warm clothes.
$2000 tires/winterizing 2 cars

If you did not move furniture then add that in too. On a value budget say $500 - $1500 for some basic stuff.

That adds up to: $23k - $26k...

Obviously if you find things a little cheaper you need less. This also doesn't have a budget for fun things. You can also use "credit" on a credit card for some of the needed fund, but that can also come back to bite you as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM

96 posts, read 221,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Alot is personally dependent on your expenses, but let's say you wanted to give yourself 3 months. Below is my research for prices in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. I welcome residents adjustments to my figures. I need a 3 bedroom place and there are 4 of us.

Let's do the math:

1. Round trip to AK moving your stuff both ways. ($7000 - $10000) 2 cars.
2. First, last, security for rent ($6000)
3. food ($3000)
4. Fuel ($1500)
5. Internet/phone ($450)
6. Heat/electric ($1000)
If you are going to be there in the winter and are from a warm climate add:

$1200 or so for warm clothes.
$2000 tires/winterizing 2 cars

If you did not move furniture then add that in too. On a value budget say $500 - $1500 for some basic stuff.

That adds up to: $23k - $26k...

Obviously if you find things a little cheaper you need less. This also doesn't have a budget for fun things. You can also use "credit" on a credit card for some of the needed fund, but that can also come back to bite you as well.
I think I would contribute to Dakster's thorough list as such:

1. What are you including on "moving stuff both ways"? I would say that if you are going to be uncertain about whether you stay or not, don't move your stuff up. It's way too huge a cost to account for - you're better off selling it, or at least storing larger-sized valuables that you don't want to sell until you know your move is at least somewhat permanent. It also might be better to only bring up one car because of the cost of gas, unless your vehicle is so great that it wouldn't make financial sense to sell it and buy another. If you drive in the summer you can camp which also saves money over hotels. Anyway, I think your moving cost is overestimated (even for 4 and two vehicles) having just done the Alcan drive this past fall - for gas and hotel I spent less than this, and I did the round trip.
2. That's a good average.
3. I think food is overestimated too, we spend about $100 a week for 2 and we eat really well. But we also buy a lot of seasonal stuff from local growers (and eat way more taters, carrots and such in the winter), and we don't buy a ton of meat. I also cook with a lot of legumes and grains. I guess it just depends on what you eat. Costco is great too!
4. Fuel may be about right for two cars if they are not very efficient and if you are commuting.
5. About right depending on your plan.
6. Depends completely on where you are renting, what your landlord covers, and what type of fuel you use for heating. For us that would have been really overestimated - we spend significantly less on electric for a one bedroom, but we are also warmed by neighboring apts and keep things cool. Houses will be a lot more, gas is cheaper, etc.

However, it never harms to overestimate in this kind of situation!

It is also good to keep in mind that if this person is coming up single, and if they don't feel the need to move their possessions, they could just buy a plane ticket and those moving costs are significantly reduced.

A lot of it is up to how the individual wants to handle things logistically and what their comfort level is for living on the cheap for a while...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage