Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

I would base my decision on the schools and your kids. S. Anchorage and ER are not night and day but different. More services, closer choices in shopping, movies etc in Anchorage. Eagle River is more laid back, friendlier (IMHO). Look at Alpenglow school and the surrounding area. I do hear good things about it.

Crime in ER is nearly non existent. Anchorage is different story though much crime is culturally/alcohol based it exists. That said I found Anchorage a good vibe.

Lease rates will be lower in Eagle River as will home purchase with more for your dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
I would never live on the South side!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
I can add that Ravenwood Elementary in Eagle River is one of the very best schools in the district.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I would never live on the South side!!!
Interesting comment. And your reason would be?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM

6 posts, read 15,809 times
Thanks to everyone for your guidance. I cannot express how much this helped calm my nerves. To the writer who said he gave up the 30 minute commute to live downtown and prefers it, I totally hear ya. The old me is much more of a city girl so that's probably why I felt so nervous being far away from the city. But I suppose if the peace and tranquility becomes unbearable (lol), we could always move to S. Anchorage in the future. For now, we are completely new to Alaska altogether, and we had to make a somewhat quick decision (let's just say living in a hotel with a toddler and infant wasn't ideal) so Eagle River it is. We could love it. We could hate it. I guess time will tell. Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Stop in and say hi to Sweden at Eagle River Photo!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM

75 posts, read 87,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Stop in and say hi to Sweden at Eagle River Photo!
Great family there!

As for the original post:

I have lived in Anchorage since '97 and moved out to ER last winter. All I can say is that I love it!

Schools are great (kid goes to Chugiak for Spanish immersion) and I'm a short drive to all the shopping. I too much prefer ER than the Hillside. The Hilliside has a lot of traffic and is packed. Not to mention the people in ER/Chugiak are much friendlier.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM

26 posts, read 75,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I can add that Ravenwood Elementary in Eagle River is one of the very best schools in the district.
Two of our three kids went to Ravenwood. Fantastic school! As a matter of fact, I had heard so much about Ravenwood before we moved out to Eagle River, that it actually was somewhat of a nudge into a particular neighborhood for us. No regrets! ...On the school, the neighborhood, or, Eagle River!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:06 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguyinAK View Post

I too much prefer ER than the Hillside. The Hilliside has a lot of traffic and is packed. Not to mention the people in ER/Chugiak are much friendlier.
Not sure what part of Hillside you're referring to. There are more and less crowded areas in both Hillside and ER. As far as people are concerned, people are people. You can find friendly people and jerks in both locations. ER and Hillside are both great (and comparable) areas. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
We leased a home in Turnagain for a year until we got the lay of the land, and even after exploring other areas, we still ended up purchasing a home a few streets over. The Turnagain Neighborhood has an unprecedented reputation as a safe, friendly, convenient, family focused neighborhood. It's also one of the few neighborhoods that has charm and character IMHO. I can't tell you the number of times we've had friends from other parts of Anchorage mention that that wish they could live there. However you'll need to temper your expectations as far as modern style and construction are concerned. We bought a fixer upper and made it our style. I suggest finding Turnagain Parkway on the map and head north for a scenic tour. This is not a particularly great time of year to buy, but more properties come on the market in a few months. BTW, my commute is 7 minutes to downtown.

P.S. Another great neighborhood is Intlet View near Westchester Lagoon. Inlet View is even closer to downtown and has excellent recreational trail access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage