Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 PM

63 posts, read 183,698 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be flying in soon to check out the area, see where I would work, and check out places to live.

Any suggestions on what we need to see/experience and what we need to know/learn about Anchorage while we visit to help us make our decision. We will be visiting for 4 days.

My wife and I are both former military so we have both moved around quite a bit. She was born and raised in western Illinois and I was born and raised here in Houston, Texas.

We both prefer to live near the city, not in it. We prefer to live a little farther out and are looking for a more country feel but not totally rural. My job location is near the airport. The employer will not be paying for the move. I do not prefer a long cummute (who does) but its worth it for a view and privacy.

We know this is a huge move and big change for us so we are not taking this lightly. Any information would help us make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance.

-dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
People that want to avoid the "city" typically look for homes in Eagle River, Chugiak, Peter's Creek or the Valley. The Valley to the airport would give you about an hour commute.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post

We both prefer to live near the city, not in it. We prefer to live a little farther out and are looking for a more country feel but not totally rural.
There are place in Anchorage that have a rural feeling (by -48 standards).

Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Sure, you can try South Anchorage, or some of the subdivisions on the far East side. There are lots of nice sections of town that are not very "city" like.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,792 times
Hey drvasek, My wife and I are in pretty much the same boat although we are both from Illinois. I will be heading up there in July. I am also going to be working at Stevens... Pm me if you want... I will be following this thread! :-)

Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM

Are there areas like this that are less than 30 minutes commute to the airport?

We don't mind neighbors we just don't want their house 10 feet from ours.

We have been checking this site: http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

We are looking for 3+ Bed, 2+ Bath, Garage, Pet Friendly....

Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post
Are there areas like this that are less than 30 minutes commute to the airport?

We don't mind neighbors we just don't want their house 10 feet from ours.

We have been checking this site: http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

We are looking for 3+ Bed, 2+ Bath, Garage, Pet Friendly....
Eagle River or Chugiak. Or the Hillside or South Anchorage.
The big question is what is your budget for a house?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Commute times vary. Sure, on a good day, you can live in Peter's Creek and make it to Anchorage is 15-20 minutes but it's 22 miles from Anchorage. then you have to go through town, which could be easy or not. Don't attempt to drive ANYWHERE at rush hour.

And our airport is not connected to a highway. You have to drive through town to get there.

The Municipality of Anchorage is the size of Delaware. Can you drive across Delaware in 30 minutes or less?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Eagle River or Chugiak. Or the Hillside or South Anchorage.
The big question is what is your budget for a house?

Well after some research I do realize the cost of living is higher compared to here.

We are currently renting a 2,200 square foot home. 4 bedrooms, + a study, 2 bath, 2 car garage, decent fenced yard, built in 1997 on a 1/4 acre lot in a great neighborhood for $1,600 a month.

We plan to rent for 1 year or so to make sure I'm ok with the job and that we are happy with Anchorage before we get locked into a home investment.

I search for the same criteria and it can be anywhere from $2,000 - $3,000+ a month. So we already know we are going to have to down scale when we come up there to look in a few weeks.

I'm sure we can afford around $2,500 a month but I can't even see myself paying that much for something I don't own. So we will have to sit down with our Realtor that we already have scheduled and see what is out there.

Last edited by drvasek; 05-06-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM

11 posts, read 17,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg79fe View Post
Hey drvasek, My wife and I are in pretty much the same boat although we are both from Illinois. I will be heading up there in July. I am also going to be working at Stevens... Pm me if you want... I will be following this thread! :-)
My partner and me too! We just went up last week. Can't wait to finally move this summer! I posted a similar thread a few down and got some good tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage