U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,717 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to anchorage in the fall to start at UAA. I know they have a GSA club that I plan on getting involved in but I'm wondering about the safety, discrimination, violence and the general attitude on lgbtq in anchorage in terms of housing and jobs. I've read the other post that are several years old saying its cool as long as your not the " in your face" activist/ or person. I also saw a study for 2011 on the violence. I am 25 Human, that happens to be lesbian, genderqueer/fluid, androgynous, butch, tomboy and whatever else you choose to label me as. I am wondering if that's accepted or do I need to defend myself daily because I choose to exercise the right to be me and not conform to anyone else standards or ideas. I do not want to have to dress and act a certain way at work and to secure housing because other people are uncomfortable seeing a person who doesn't fit their idea of the gender binary. I am aware of The Center and an identity center with support groups/ education. I plan on a social work degree and a career in mental health, emergency preparedness or to work with lgbt youth/ adults. Thanks

Disclaimer: if you don't know any of these terms, please ask. I'd be happy to educate you. Please keep your judgements and assumption to yourself. You only sound like an a** and if its not helpfully I don't want to read it. "Be the change you want to see" Ghandi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Also any ideas on neighborhoods near the university that are lgbtq friendly? I am 90% sure I'd like a house share due to budget. I do have a cat so university housing is out if the question

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM

66 posts, read 62,274 times
Alaska is pretty friendly too all people so you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 PM

1,926 posts, read 4,025,116 times
I've never heard of any problems.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM

1,926 posts, read 4,025,116 times
The Spenard area might be good but honestly, I don't really see an issue living anywhere here.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 PM

21,804 posts, read 27,826,421 times
I don't know Anchorage well enough to offer an opinion because I usually just pass through it now and then, but there's a strong Lesbian presence in Talkeetna. Not that you can live there while going to school, but it's a good weekend destination for when you're out exploring the state.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,356,806 times
There are all sorts of people up here. And lots of them don't conform to whatever someone else's idea of "normal" is. Just go about your business and try to meet people you have things in common with. You do come off as just a little defensive, which may be understandable depending on prior experiences. I think you'll have a better time up here if you don't assume that you'll have to explain yourself. Not that there isn't a fair amount of homophobia up here. There definitely is. I assume it's less so in Anchorage, like most cities. But when it comes down to it, there are a lot of oddballs up here (and I use that word in the best possible sense). And I think due to a variety of factors, not towing the standard line is more accepted up here than a lot of other places.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,147,934 times
It seems the only ones that are not LBTQ froendly in Alaska are the original inhabitants (native tribes , and bears, although there is a doubt about the bear that ate Tim Treadwell).
So don't worry if you don't go into the wild, you will be fine , even maybe super fine.
("tongue-in cheek")

Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Great to hear, you just never know especially in a red state. Thanks everyone. And I definitely plan on exploring. Thanks for the ideas

Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,210,305 times
PETA membership would be a bigger concern, or whether you support the rights of hunters and trappers - issues that are sometimes linked to radical feminism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or