Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 AM

13 posts, read 26,878 times

Advertisements

Well we did it! Lower Hillside here we come. DH arrives via driving up with the RV on Thursday I follow with our 3 & 4 year old via air on Monday. Wooohooo. I haven't even seen the house we bought yet. Anyway, we had to leave our swing set behind. Saved some money to get the girls a new one. Need a company that will install them. Lowe's doesn't provide the service in Anchorage. They are the only ones I know of. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
anchorage / mat-su labor & moving classifieds - craigslist or if that seems too dubious perhaps in the phonebook under "Handyman".

It's easy to do. They come with instructions and are usually held together with a minimal number of bolts or other fasteners. I did mine in a few hours with a little help and I'm mechanically retarded. Can you just wait until your husband shows up and make him do it?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Great Idea. I think that's what I'm going to have to do is hire an individual. Lowe's, K-mart, Sears all offer installation everywhere BUT anchorage. And unfortunately my husband has to jump right into work and won't be able to do it. I've read it takes about 20 hours for two people to put those wood sets together. Thanks, I'll look for a "Handyman".

Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM

202 posts, read 355,880 times
Wait until you get here to worry about the swing set. It is getting towards fall and it will be raining more. Maybe install a set inside the garage or under cover till spring. A tree swing would be nice for the kids all you need is a length of rope and a crab buoy.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Did you buy the playset yet? If not, DON'T get one of those wooden ones because they have a very short lifespan especially in extreme wether. Spend a little extra and get a powder-coated steel & molded plastic one. Here is what we got which is great: Amazon.com: Lifetime Big Stuff Clubhouse Outdoor Playset (primary color): Sports & Outdoors
It's not cheap but they do have some cheaper models though if you just want a swingset. So far, after several seasons of of Rocky Mtn. weather, it's living up to its brand-name. It also isn't easy to setup, but me and a friend did it in about 8 hours total. The amount of fun the kids have had on it has been worth every penny to me... I don't like public playsets. They're dirty and the unsupervised kids r mean.

If you did buy a wooden playset already, then never mind... enjoy your new playset!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! No I haven't bought it yet. So helpful. And it actually is less money than the big wooden ones I was looking at and seems easier to assemble.

Last edited by Joplinmarie; 08-21-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM

Ugh! I was so excited! It even said this one was only a few hours to assemble. But Amazon won't ship it AK, I tried it as a Prime member and even paying for it. Grrrrr

Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joplinmarie View Post
Ugh! I was so excited! It even said this one was only a few hours to assemble. But Amazon won't ship it AK, I tried it as a Prime member and even paying for it. Grrrrr
Shipment for that thing doesn't work like other prime items because it weighs hundreds of pounds and comes in a big wooden crate. Mine showed up in a big moving van with a couple of guys and a hydraulic lift to handle it.

Costco sells them too. You can probably have it delivered to the store for a lot less $$ than private shipment to your home (or maybe even free), and then you'll just need to figure out how to get it home. Other online sellers handle them too and some will be able to help you but it won't be cheap to ship to AK. That's one of the reasons you get that subsidy check for living there year round, isn't it?

Just search on the NAME of the playlet brand/model (they also have an earth-tone version). The amazon link was just for reference. If all else failse, call Lifetime and see what they can do to help you get it there.

In any case, it's not a simple endeavor to get a fully assembled playset into your backyard in the 48 states much less in AK. Once it's there in a crate, it's still a long setup process. Even with a friend who's a professional contractor helping me, it took about 6-8 hours to get it fully assembled. But the instructions were accurate, all the pieces were there and with some time and patience we got it done. It has been well worth the effort for me, including the $5k landscape project we had to do just to get the dang thing to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Swing set installation?-playset_assembly.jpg  

Last edited by otterprods; 08-22-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joplinmarie View Post
Welcome to your first taste of life in Alaska...

Check out Costco when you get here. They usually carry that stuff.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
We're not in Alaska, but step daughter and son-in-law bought one of those big wooden swings sets before they left South Carolina and moved back to Kentucky (he's in the Army). The swing set, still in the box, came with most of their furniture, while they were visiting other relatives elsewhere. When the movers got everything from the truck to the storage unit, all that was left was the swing set in a very torn up box. They ended up, with son-in-law's OK, going ahead and tearing the rest of the cardboard off and carrying the swing set off piece by piece! Movers were nice not to say anything but sure would liked to have been able to read their minds! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage