U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 AM

4,472 posts, read 4,762,338 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the residential area west of merril field is ghetto or not, specifically on orca street? I keep meaning to drive over there but have not got around too it yet. I know that the area in the south east corner of the seward highway and 15th is pretty ghetto but I have never been to the north side to the west of merril.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 AM

17,852 posts, read 18,384,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Does anyone know if the residential area west of merril field is ghetto or not, specifically on orca street? I keep meaning to drive over there but have not got around too it yet. I know that the area in the south east corner of the seward highway and 15th is pretty ghetto but I have never been to the north side to the west of merril.
The area of Anchorage just west of Merrill Field is called Fairview, and it is one of the higher crime areas of Anchorage. There are no ghettos in Anchorage (unless you count the Spenard Area).

Orca street is the western border of Airport Heights, and eastern border of Fairview. Fairview extends west from Orca street to Cordova street. Fairview's border on the north is Ship Creek, and on the south by 20th Avenue. If you are on Orca street, the crime rate of Fairview may not extend that far since it is on the border.

Anchorage Areas --- The four areas in red are the high crime areas.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,455,888 times
Fairview qualifies as the second least desirable neighborhood after Mountainview, in the MOA. High crime, low income, poorly cared for (if at all) domiciles. Best avoided if possible.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Hi there. Bit of a lurker, decided I should respond to this post, as someone who lived in Fairview for a long time. Its a large neighborhood and extends W to E from Cordova over to Merrill Field. Between Cordova and Gambell it is more associated with downtown and has seen more development. From Gambell to Merrill Field, where you are concerned, people have different impressions. There are pockets of that part of Fairview which are great - mostly single family residences or duplexes, small places built in the '50's (and they are very well-built properties, nothing like the majority of '70's and '80's-built crap that you find in Anchorage). I never had any issues with crime when I lived there and never felt unsafe. The majority of crime would be domestic violence, which is contained in the home and happens in every neighborhood in Alaska. Not saying it's ok, but it's just not going to affect you. Although yes there are drugs, and there has been an occasional shooting. But this has happened in every neighborhood in Anchorage. APD responds to drug ODs in Hillside and other "safe" neighborhoods in Anchorage all the time.

I would only avoid getting a property next to a large multifamily, simply because of the potential for noise pollution. I would also want to get property close to either Merrill Field (Orca St) or the Elementary school, simply because you won't have any construction occurring, ever. And you get nice views of the mountains from these locations.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider Spenard a slum, unless they never experienced a real slum. It has some crappy parts to it, but most of Anchorage neighborhoods are like this. There are some trailer parks in Anchorage that are much more slum-like than anything in Spenard.

Personally I think people that act like Fairview is a scary crappy neighborhood are the people that Pete Seeger wrote his song Little Boxes about.

Anyway, you can also find similar priced property in Nunaka, an east Anchorage neighborhood that people also say is not good, but actually is a great little neighborhood. It's just farther from downtown depending on what your needs and wants are.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
Glitch what do the other colors on the map mean?

I guess pink is almost as bad as red?

What is Blue, yellow, green, and grey?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Glitch what do the other colors on the map mean?

I guess pink is almost as bad as red?

What is Blue, yellow, green, and grey?
The other colors merely reflect the different areas of Anchorage, as referred to by renters or real-estate agents. There were a lot of requests from people for a definition of "Hillside Area," or "University Area", etc. So I created that map. Click on one of the colored areas on the map, and it will show you to which area of Anchorage it pertains.

The only high crime areas in Anchorage are Mountain View, Fairview, Muldoon Area, and Spenard Area.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM

3,798 posts, read 3,401,443 times
Hey Glitch, how is the Government Hill area? I'm looking at the North Pointe Apartments near Elmendorf as they're not too far from the VA.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Hey Glitch, how is the Government Hill area? I'm looking at the North Pointe Apartments near Elmendorf as they're not too far from the VA.
Sorry, I cannot help you. I have only had an occasion to visit Government Hill a few times. Not enough to form an opinion either way. I suppose the good news is that I have not heard anything derogatory about the area.

When I lived in Anchorage I lived in the Campbell Park area, the University area, and Mountain View. If they ever do build a Knik Arm crossing, it will be going through Government Hill. Unfortunately, I do not think you have any construction to worry about for quite some time. They have been talking about building the Knik Arm crossing since 1980, and that is all they have done is talk.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 AM

4,472 posts, read 4,762,338 times
That map is great, thank you. Another area I am falling in love with is Sitka street which is near Fairview but it seems very nice, I did have a chance to drive though that little neighborhood and it seems very safe but is just outside of Fairview. Is there much spill over crime to Sitka street. Do they have problems with crime from Fairview on merril field? Merril field has a lot of expensive planes sitting around and is sandwiched right between the highest crime areas.

I have driven though nunaka and it seems very run down, I was not impressed. I have heard that the area right after tutor turns into Muldoon at the big curve on the south east side of Muldoon is nice?

I like the university area but I would think it would be incredibly rare for anything on uaa drive to come up for rent? Or even the area on 36th and lake Otis which is also nice.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
That map is great, thank you. Another area I am falling in love with is Sitka street which is near Fairview but it seems very nice, I did have a chance to drive though that little neighborhood and it seems very safe but is just outside of Fairview. Is there much spill over crime to Sitka street. Do they have problems with crime from Fairview on merril field? Merril field has a lot of expensive planes sitting around and is sandwiched right between the highest crime areas.

I have driven though nunaka and it seems very run down, I was not impressed. I have heard that the area right after tutor turns into Muldoon at the big curve on the south east side of Muldoon is nice?

I like the university area but I would think it would be incredibly rare for anything on uaa drive to come up for rent? Or even the area on 36th and lake Otis which is also nice.
There are lots of places in the University area that are outside the financial range of most college kids, so do not let that put you off. The southeastern side of Airport Heights, or the southern part of the Russian Jack area are also pretty nice neighborhoods, and not too expensive.

The area where Muldoon becomes Tudor is called Scenic Foothills, and it is aptly named. Since it is further from the coast than the airport, expect more snow and colder temperatures during the winter than what is reported at the airport, but still not nearly as bad as Hillside which is further up the mountain than Scenic Foothills.

Just avoid all the trailer home parks that line Muldoon, along with the areas around the bars on Muldoon, because those areas are where most of the problems occur. Scenic Foothills is far enough away from those "bad" areas along Muldoon that it should not be a problem.

Keep in mind that what passes for a "bad" area in Anchorage is pretty tame by comparison to most major cities with a quarter million population. Muldoon area is frequented by military personnel, particularly from Fort Richardson, and they can get a bit rowdy when blowing off a little steam. Nothing serious, but Muldoon does stand out as one of the higher crime areas of Anchorage.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-03-2014 at 03:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage