Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
How else are "the people" supposed to get issues on the ballot if not by referendum? This is a democratic republic, after all.

RANT on!

Yes, unfortunately politicians across the board are irresponsible, incompetent, corrupt, greedy and self serving, and too many constituents are illinformed, ignorant, stupid and greedy. When "<those people" stop relecting "^those politicians" and do something for this country, and state to move them forward the chaos and decline will continue.

RANT off!
It was never meant to be a democratic republic, just a republic. Democracy = mob rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
It was never meant to be a democratic republic, just a republic. Democracy = mob rule
Just think, you, as an American citizen(if in fact you are?) can petiton for a change to the fundamental structure of this great country! Would you rather have it another way?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
What is the rule for getting something on the ballot? How many signatures?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Many would like to see that happen, that is what lured a significant % to the state in the first place. Those who it affects negatively will leave, that is what people do. You also have to factor in that the State only owns roughly 1/3 of the "state", native interests own another third, and the FEDS the remaining third. Ponder the ramifications of that.

The native interests will continue to exploit resources on their lands (=economy). The FEDS will reduce oversight and enforcement, allowing for a more "mavericks and scofflaws" to take advantage (=poaching, hunting, fishing, mineral extraction, drug grow and manufacture, etc.)= blackmarket economy. Just a few examples that come immediately to mind.

Traffic will be reduced, opportunity to put a moose in the freezer will increase, combat fishing will cease. These are a few positives that jump right out.

Further, Alaska is of great strategic import with respect to North America and Globaly, I cannot believe that the DOD would eliminate the Army from Ft. Richardson. The Air Force cannot provide the resistance against invaders in the manner that an army is capable of.

Considering the provacative actions of North Korea and the threat of China (real or perceived) on the economic front and desire for resources, the rapid advancements in military technology and sabre rattling, the military in Alaska is here to stay.
I talked to the bridge authority and the city is on board (I am guessing it was due to pressure from the state), the city is going to have to get used to having less money to spend, I know that has historiclly never happend but that time is comming, cant kick the can down the road forever. Most of the city budget is spent on the school board, they are going to have to start weeding out the dead weight in high schools, middle schools and even upper grades in elementery school so that the ones that want/should be there are there the rest need to go that will cut the budget hugely as the city budget is like 50% school board.

Oil and gas represents 85% of the state budget, all other industries combined are 15% roughly, the state needs to try a little harder to diversify.

That is true there are a number of people that want to see Alaska return to pre 1950, but I really question how many truely want that, my guess is they will be crying to the fed govt when all the costcos, fred meyers and other establishments close up shop and you HAVE to hunt and fish. My guess if there are VERY few of those types left. I know a few of these "hard core" types and I always see some food item from costco or some other good that they had to buy.

There is no way China or Korea could mount a land war with us. I dont disagree that we need some army, like maybe a crack ranger unit and some other special forces extreme arctic trained guys. But there is a large voluem of marginally trained trigger puller whipping boys on base (both air force and army). There is alot of condensing down that can be done and stay combat effective. There are alot of useless rable in the air force as well. The military loves their whipping boys though, they love to scream and yell and pull rank on lower rank people, if they condensed down the military to actual competency it would look alot different, it would look like the WW2 military guys.

In times of peace or minor police actions we only need the most competent highly trained drawing a regular pay check and living on base. If your not part of speical operations or a critical personal to high tech weapons then you need to go.

If china does something it will be a naval and air war long before its a full scale ground war and if that happens they can draft. I agree with you on a high level but there are just so many useless people that dont need to be drawing a check in both the military and politics and they are making it harder for productive people to get useful things done.

Also the cold war is over and Russia is not our enemy anymore. In fact I think they have more rights than us right now, the women are more feminine, they dont have anti male divorce laws and they dont tolerate alot of other things that woudl get me banned from this site. I think they are doing quite well.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Just think, you, as an American citizen(if in fact you are?) can petiton for a change to the fundamental structure of this great country! Would you rather have it another way?
I am in the process of learning to speak Russian, that should answer that lol. Because voting has been diluted down so much my vote is statisticly insignificant. It does not matter how credible I am my vote counts just as much as the guy smoking dope and collecting welfare. also isent collecting welfare and voting a conflict of interest?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,574 times
Quote:
I am in the process of learning to speak Russian, that should answer that lol. Because voting has been diluted down so much my vote is statisticly insignificant. It does not matter how credible I am my vote counts just as much as the guy smoking dope and collecting welfare. also isent collecting welfare and voting a conflict of interest?
It isn't a conflict if one feels they are entitled to it, it is one more reason for the decline of America, some politicians, The President and his admin. not excluded, as well as talking heads like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton et al. perpetrate and perpetuate the attitude to everyones detriment. By doing so they garner support and voters that exemplify my earlier description.

Quote:
I talked to the bridge authority and the city is on board (I am guessing it was due to pressure from the state), the city is going to have to get used to having less money to spend, I know that has historiclly never happend but that time is comming, cant kick the can down the road forever. Most of the city budget is spent on the school board, they are going to have to start weeding out the dead weight in high schools, middle schools and even upper grades in elementery school so that the ones that want/should be there are there the rest need to go that will cut the budget hugely as the city budget is like 50% school board.

I "think" Dan Sullivan may have actually cut the budget his first year in office after Mark Begichs' term was over. I tried to find the numbers, but there was too much garbage to wade through for my curent level of patience and interest.

As for the ASD, I have been PO'ed about that sinkhole for years, at one time they consume 55% yep, 55% of my tax dollars under Carol Cuomo, now it is down to 45%, still far too high in my opinion. Fortunately, it seems property owners/voters have wised up, at least for the past couple elctions and voted down many bond proposals when prior to that it was a given they would pass. That caused me alot of heartburn due to the ignorance of so many that do not understand that a bond passed means increased property taxes. It is akin to the mindset that federal dollars grow on trees and not understanding that it is TAXPAYER funds. Drives me fricken CRAZY!

Oil and gas represents 85% of the state budget, all other industries combined are 15% roughly, the state needs to try a little harder to diversify.

That is true there are a number of people that want to see Alaska return to pre 1950, but I really question how many truely want that, my guess is they will be crying to the fed govt when all the costcos, fred meyers and other establishments close up shop and you HAVE to hunt and fish. My guess if there are VERY few of those types left. I know a few of these "hard core" types and I always see some food item from costco or some other good that they had to buy.

There is no way China or Korea could mount a land war with us. I dont disagree that we need some army, like maybe a crack ranger unit and some other special forces extreme arctic trained guys. But there is a large voluem of marginally trained trigger puller whipping boys on base (both air force and army). There is alot of condensing down that can be done and stay combat effective. There are alot of useless rable in the air force as well. The military loves their whipping boys though, they love to scream and yell and pull rank on lower rank people, if they condensed down the military to actual competency it would look alot different, it would look like the WW2 military guys.

I have much confidence they would never make it across the Pacific, but with the massive population that China possesses, that booming economy and a Govt. that cares little for its' people, they could endure gargantuan loss of life attempting invasion by air and water. Hopefully, none of those in power are so idiotic as to pursue such endeavors.

Advances in technology certainly do lend to the reduction of actual bodies in the military, but there are major economic impacts every time budget changes are implemented that reduce military spending.

In times of peace or minor police actions we only need the most competent highly trained drawing a regular pay check and living on base. If your not part of speical operations or a critical personal to high tech weapons then you need to go.

Eliminating police actions would be far more cost effective than budgeting out other areas that are supportive of our military with regard to personel or technology. That is another of my gripes and a major reason the USA is so disliked across the globe. We do not need to be the world police! I will throw this in for good measure; the clause in the Geneva convention pohibiting political assination is assinine. Assassinating despots would save lives, grief and money. A nearly successful attempt on Gadaffi in Tripoly years back is testament to that. Ok, so that was another rant.

If china does something it will be a naval and air war long before its a full scale ground war and if that happens they can draft. I agree with you on a high level but there are just so many useless people that dont need to be drawing a check in both the military and politics and they are making it harder for productive people to get useful things done.

Also the cold war is over and Russia is not our enemy anymore. In fact I think they have more rights than us right now, the women are more feminine, they dont have anti male divorce laws and they dont tolerate alot of other things that woudl get me banned from this site. I think they are doing quite well.
There are a fair number who would dispute the existence of a cold war with Russia atm. P,us,sy Riot would strongly disagree with you.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
What is the status on the bridge? Is it being planned, getting ready to be voted on?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times
highlife2,

I suggest that you spend some time learning Alaska history. Especially ANILCA, the military in Alaska, KOBATA and the bridge, (and not just what you read on the KOBATA site or hear from a KOBATA person), Alaska economics, and the history of the Alaska Pipeline.

After you honestly do that then you get back to us.

You might want to brush up on the type of Govt. the USA is supposed to be.
Quote:
Actually we were supposed to be a Representative Republic.

"A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one. In a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person. In a democracy the sovereignty is in the group."

http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsdem.htm

Last edited by hogfamily; 02-20-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
What is the status on the bridge? Is it being planned, getting ready to be voted on?
Wishful thinking stage?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
What is the rule for getting something on the ballot? How many signatures?
Laws governing the initiative process in Alaska - Ballotpedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage