U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 601 times

Advertisements

Your number for rent @ 1500 would be enough to have most utilities included. We have a 2 bdr. 1 bath furnished apartment for rent for 1400. which includes heat (natural gas) and water/sewer and trash. Tenant is only be responsible for electric, which is probably around $20/month. It is right in Anchorage near the University and Providence Hospital, an area known as UMED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 AM

80 posts, read 82,632 times
I'm sorry no one has responded to you in the real estate industry. I don't handle rentals, only sales, but I am purchasing a four plex in Eagle River and the rents are $1400-1500 per unit with one car garage, utilities included, 2 bed, 1 bath, 1000 sf. It's fully leased so I can't help you in Eagle River, but our house will be available in Palmer. That is a 2000 sf house, 3 bed, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage on 1.6 acres, and will be $1500 plus utilities. It's about an hour commute to midtown Anchorage. Sometimes landlords will pay utilities, some will not. For our 2000 sf house, gas is closer to $200 in the winter, electric is $150-200 in winter, but both drop significantly in the summer because you'll only use gas to cook, heat water, run clothes dryer and your lights are rarely on in the summers. Cable is $100, internet is $100. Sewer and water are probably only $25 a piece if that. Oil, propane and electric heat is a different, expensive story all together - I would avoid all three at all costs. As someone else mentioned, you will need to put deposits down with utility companies. As for gas cost into Anchorage from Palmer, 45 miles in a '12 Outback costs me approximately $25 per round trip. If you email me, I can set you up on an MLS search, although I've also found luck on Craigslist in the past. Real Property Management may also be able to help you out. You can get a lot more bang for your buck in the Valley, but everyone has different needs and lifestyles. My professional email is erica@lesbaileyandassociates.com

Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 AM

22 posts, read 22,289 times
The suggestion that food prices are 10% higher is a bit off; 2X is a lot closer. Seriously, the cost of eating is going to shock you. Having moved from Georgia to Alaska and back 3 times, I can give you some very good advice. Put your things in storage or sell off everything you don't want or need, and ship what you can't live without via parcel post. Be *sure* to get insurance and delivery confirmation. Ship heavy things like tools in flat rate boxes. Oh the happiness of sending 60 lbs of tools for $17, LOL! Gas is a buck a gallon higher than Ga. If you can sell the car and buy another when you get there you'll be way better off. You will be coming at the best time to get the best deals as a lot of people will be leaving before winter (pansies!).

Don't let the winters scare you in "Los Anchorage"; I worked outside in -20 and it wasn't that bad and all I had was a base layer (Under Armor), a cotton shirt, and a light jacket with fleece lining. You don't need *expensive* clothing; you just need the *right* clothing and you can get exactly what you need at Fred Meyers, Carhartt, or the Army/Navy store. If you're used to winters in Conn. you'll be tickled pink in Anchorage. If you're considering living in the valley or E.R. I would strongly suggest getting studded tires. You'll be stopping and driving 20 mph because somebody stopped to look at a rock or stick or because they've never seen someone with a flat time before, but that's only 1-2 days a week. And even with that the drive is breath taking.

Living in Anchorage is really awesome and I hate cities. Anchorage has sections where you live, eat, shop all in one place and you don't have to drive all over town to get things done. There are sooooooo many things to do there it's just unreal. I'm absolutely crazy about downhill skiing but the only places there are Alyeska (very steep and gnarly, mostly sort of groomed), Alpine Valley (VERY steep), Hilltop, 3/4 mile of almost flat terrain and one 80' hill at the base, and Hillberg, on Elmendorf AFB - my fav!! It's only a little less than half a mile run but the terrain is great, wide, not a lot of people, and it's dirt cheap.

We had a lovely 2br/1ba apartment near Sullivan Arena, off 15th Ave, for $950 mo that included water, sewer and garbage pickup, but we had to visit a lot of dog beds to find it.

Sams and Costco are your best shopping places for food. Their prices are not jacked up with "shipping" charges (gouging). Everything else has a "shipping charge" premium, including Alaskan seafood. Carrs does a weekly mark-down one day a week where you can get stuff 50% off. We found that the one at 13th Ave & Gambell had the best deals, even tho it's in a pretty seedy part of town.

So if you sell off / store your goodies, ship what you can't live without, and buy a car, used furniture, & furnishings off Craigslist and from thrift stores (NOT Salvation Army or "Good Will"), you can do this on a shoestring and save yourself a
ton of torture. Logistics of getting from here to there can keep you up nights and occupy your research for months; trust me. They sell everything you'll need up there and you'll be pleasantly surprised that a lot of it has the Alaskan flavor. You don't *have* to have a 4WD, or even a block heater. Don't lose your job in winter time there because they are nearly impossible to find. Summers are glorious there so plan to make the most of it, especially if it falls on a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage