Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 AM

57 posts, read 105,637 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Looking for nice kid friendly areas in anchorage or really close to anchorage. Also, are there only country areas or are there cities? We plan to move their I'm more of a city girl. Are here any areas that are "city"?

Also, how close is walmart, target, Ross, etc? To anchorage?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Well, as far as city areas in Anchorage, well, there is Anchorage:

Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 AM

I mean little towns near anchorage?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:52 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Anchorage is a city with almost 300,000 people. Just about all of the major retailers have stores in Anchorage. There are at least 3 Walmarts and one Target. Do not know about Ross.

Eagle River is just a few miles from Anchorage. There is no real downtown district there. Just a bunch of strip malls along the main road thru town.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
So you are moving without having ever visited? You might be in for a bit of culture shock... Are you maybe military?
Going north from Anchorage you have:
Eagle River
Chugaik
Birchwood
Peters Creek
These are all technically in the Municipality of Anchorage. And they are more like neighborhoods than towns.
Anchorage has several Walmarts and a couple of Targets. No Ross in Alaska. Eagle River also has a Walmart.

And then you have Wasilla and Palmer in the "Valley". Wasilla has a Target and a Walmart.

South of Anchorage is the neighborhoods of Indian and Bird Creek and then the town of Girdwood. If you are going to be commuting to Anchorage, these are not the best options. The Seward Highway going south of Anchorage stays very busy.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:34 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamommy1 View Post
Hey all. Looking for nice kid friendly areas in anchorage or really close to anchorage. Also, are there only country areas or are there cities? We plan to move their I'm more of a city girl. Are here any areas that are "city"?

Also, how close is walmart, target, Ross, etc? To anchorage?

Thanks everyone!
Having just moved to Anchorage from a major metropolitan area - here is my impression.

I have so far found Anchorage itself to be more city like than Country. With exceptions, of course, I find the homes are on city-sized lots. My humble impression of what I think "country" is when I hear someone describe an area that way is that homes on large pieces of land (measured in acres) and not a lot of stores around them. Something that is in SHORT supply in Anchorage is buildable land.

Not all big box stores are there, but we didn't have any issues buying the things we normally consume. Unfortunately, even got to try out the Emergency Room when we were there. Fortunately, I found the nurses and doctor's there, very competent and nice.

As far as big city life - I just don't see Anchorage as being comparable to a New York, L.A., or Miami... Not that there are not a ton of wonderful things to do in Anchorage. In fact, the reason we choose to more to AK is because we don't like or want a New York, L.A., or Miami lifestyle... (We moved from Miami....)

Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
So you are moving without having ever visited? You might be in for a bit of culture shock... Are you maybe military?
Going north from Anchorage you have:
Eagle River
Chugaik
Birchwood
Peters Creek
These are all technically in the Municipality of Anchorage. And they are more like neighborhoods than towns.
Anchorage has several Walmarts and a couple of Targets. No Ross in Alaska. Eagle River also has a Walmart.

And then you have Wasilla and Palmer in the "Valley". Wasilla has a Target and a Walmart.

South of Anchorage is the neighborhoods of Indian and Bird Creek and then the town of Girdwood. If you are going to be commuting to Anchorage, these are not the best options. The Seward Highway going south of Anchorage stays very busy.
Yes. My husband is military. We are coming next month to visit and get a feel. Just curious which areas to visit while we are there for the week!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Which areas should we stay away from? We are wanting to be close to walmart target and the army base.
Is there like party city, dollar store? Stores like that? Payless?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Is your husband going to be on the Army Base or the Air Force Base? (Elmendorf or Richardson?)... Yes, I know it is a Joint Base -- but the reason I am asking is that different areas of Anchorage (or Eagle River) are closer to one side. Since my wife is going to be working on Richardson, and not too far from that entry gate off the highway, we picked living in Eagle River. And we are tired of big city life... However, If she was going to be on the Elmendorf side, we would have picked an area in Anchorage proper.

Define what you mean by close and I am sure one of us here can help you pinpoint a location that is close to stores AND the gate your husband would want to use to get to work. My idea of close is within 10 minutes in good weather. When you can basically get from one side of Anchorage to the other, not in rush hour and in good weather within about 15 minutes, almost everything is "close" for me.

When I looked up crime stats in Anchorage, it was fairly easy to tell which areas I didn't want to live in.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM

He's army. So the army side lol. And where did you look that up? What did you come up with? The areas I mean that are high crime rate?

By easy commute I mean exactly what u said, literally 10 minutes.

Also, anyone know any job opportunities? Where's the best place to look? I wouldn't mind looking on base, but something closer to eagle river, which I'm pretty sure that's where we are wanting to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage