Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 AM

45 posts, read 126,179 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of relocating to AK from L48 with my company. I was researching schools for my son and am interested in either a charter or open optional school. However, I noticed they are LOTTERY based.
The problem is I have not finished all of the red tape and have no address yet.
How competitive is the lottery and will I still be able to enter in April/May?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 03:31 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,144,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamelao View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of relocating to AK from L48 with my company. I was researching schools for my son and am interested in either a charter or open optional school. However, I noticed they are LOTTERY based.
The problem is I have not finished all of the red tape and have no address yet.
How competitive is the lottery and will I still be able to enter in April/May?
Truthfully I doubt you will get in this year. April/May is the end of the year.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,065,257 times
You could send them to a private school until they are accepted to the lottery. A lot of the public schools are gang and drug ridden in Anchorage.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You could send them to a private school until they are accepted to the lottery. A lot of the public schools are gang and drug ridden in Anchorage.
What's funny is that there are drugs and gangs in private schools. Fraternities are gangs IMO. And drugs exist anywhere teens are at. Public schools will have drugs. Private schools will have drugs.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
What's funny is that there are drugs and gangs in private schools. Fraternities are gangs IMO. And drugs exist anywhere teens are at. Public schools will have drugs. Private schools will have drugs.
It all boils down to the specific kid and if they fit into said groups. They may do well at bartlet or east or they may do better at an alternative or private school.

As far as drugs picture 5 hippies smoking weed or crypts and bloods doing crack. Both drugs, both fairly useless though not the same, not even close to the same. We are not allowed to state the obvious on this forum but the OP needs to be aware of the demographics.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
It all boils down to the specific kid and if they fit into said groups. They may do well at bartlet or east or they may do better at an alternative or private school.

As far as drugs picture 5 hippies smoking weed or crypts and bloods doing crack. Both drugs, both fairly useless though not the same, not even close to the same. We are not allowed to state the obvious on this forum but the OP needs to be aware of the demographics.
5 hippies won't be in a private school. It will be five future frat boys. Instead of weed, it will be cocaine.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
5 hippies won't be in a private school. It will be five future frat boys. Instead of weed, it will be cocaine.
Still way different than other example, a lot easier for a kid of the same demographic to walk by the 5 future frat boys going to class and not be harassed than it is for said kid to walk by some bloods doing smack or just general thugging.

So it very strongly depends on what demographic this kid falls into as to where they will want to go, but your right its not about the drugs its about the demographic and where the kid will most easily be able to be successful.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Still way different than other example, a lot easier for a kid of the same demographic to walk by the 5 future frat boys going to class and not be harassed than it is for said kid to walk by some bloods doing smack or just general thugging.

So it very strongly depends on what demographic this kid falls into as to where they will want to go, but your right its not about the drugs its about the demographic and where the kid will most easily be able to be successful.
You know, I am going to disagree with you. There are gangs in schools. There are frat boys in school. Both can be well behaved or not.

I teach in public schools. It ain't the same as hanging out on the block.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You know, I am going to disagree with you. There are gangs in schools. There are frat boys in school. Both can be well behaved or not.

I teach in public schools. It ain't the same as hanging out on the block.
I went to east for a year and then the valley for the remainder 3 years of high school. The violence and intimidation was much more extreme at east than what happened in the valley.

Also if you fit the demographic even if your not part of the "gang" or "click" or whatever you can get by a little easier than if you are a totally separate demographic AND not in the "gang" click.

Watching 2 skinny rich kids of a certain demographic get into a scuffle vs 2 thugs at east ... very different things.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 PM

256 posts, read 447,849 times
The lottery is very competitive and they have specific dates for applications. Any students with siblings coming of school age usually get a spot, same with any student that is a child of an instructor, etc.

I do not live in Anchorage and have only heard from family they are set up the same as Kenai Peninsula.

My son didn't "win" the initial lottery, but did get accepted 3 weeks later. However he was doing good with his current teacher / school, and decided he was better where he is currently at. We're really happy with our decision and the school, his up-coming teachers for next year, and school principle are amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: