Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,794,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I feel like I'm not allowed to post in any state forum without people judging me and starting flame wars and personal attacks directed at me based on the fact I don't live there.
People are not "starting flame wars," let alone doing so based solely on the fact that you don't live here. They are telling you not to give crappy advice, and warning future readers that you are giving crappy advice. If you want to post in a forum for a region you've never had any experience with, then you need to do so without being a poseur and without presenting misinformation. You are not in a position to offer advice about Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 PM

65 posts, read 120,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I knew a couple of teachers with family in Alaska all through high school, and one person who passed through Anchorage before.

Also, knowing people who lived in Alaska doesn't mean you 'know' things about the state. Imagine if I went to the Asia forum and was a know-it-all on Japan because my step-grandmother is Japanese. Sure, I love Japanese culture and buy tons of Japanese products, but I am not going to the Asia forum and act like I know everything about the place.

I read your things about Alaska and ignore them in the end because knowing someone that has lived in Alaska or has family living in Alaska will never make you knowledgeable on the subject unless you have been there. I wouldn't even listen to someone who has lived in Anchorage their entire life and who has never lived in the bush tell me what the bush is like. Reading/hearing about Alaska will never replace the experience of being there. I have lived in Barrow for three years and my home base is now Palmer but I continue to go out to the bush all the time. I can give basic information about Barrow and I don't act like I know the town like a local who has lived there their entire life. Giving information like you know everything about the place can be troublesome for some folks who read what you say and think that is how it is.

In short, knowing someone doesn't put you in a position to dole out information like you have been there or lived there. You should start with what you say with, "I heard from someone....". You don't, even when that is really where you get your information.

Last edited by BarrowWx; 09-16-2015 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM

714 posts, read 741,669 times
My mother lived there for virtually her whole life, mostly Annette Island and Anchorage/Chugiak, until the family moved to WA when she was 37. She has Seasonal Affectiveness so the long, dark winters just got to be too much. There were A LOT of ex-Alaskans in the Spokane area where we moved who cited similar reasons. Mom said she was "sick and tired of being sick and tired" so we moved and she is rarely sick and at a normal level of tired.

I know the lack of sunlight in the winter is a dealbreaker for a lot of people. It's something a lot of people think they can deal with until they are a month or two into it with a couple months to go...

Old 09-21-2015, 02:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,758,030 times
Probably the same reason I'll never get my husband to have us move there. We both know realistically the career ladder for anything technology-business related there is much lower than in the other 48 states. I'm in the medical field so no problems there. Ya can't have it all eh?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,251,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
I know the lack of sunlight in the winter is a dealbreaker for a lot of people. It's something a lot of people think they can deal with until they are a month or two into it with a couple months to go...
I'm odd, because it's the summer in Alaska that is the harder part for me. Too much sun. I can say this now having spent my first summer here. My hours got even crazier than usual because I would sleep at odd times during the day just to ensure I was up for the twilight hours. It got to a point I was desperate for some nighttime lol.

I like it cold and dark just fine. It comforts me. Could care less if the sun came out at all, honestly. If I had it my way it would be dark or twilight all the time.

The sun is my nemesis.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,231,060 times
rhiannon67, I can understand that. I am a night person, and twilight is one of my favorite times no matter where I am.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,758,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have been watching the MLS and the sellers market is slipping, I am seeing more and more price reductions because most people know what is going on and are not going to buy until the real good deals start showing up, not lowering a 400k house by 10 grand, try 200 grand. The sellers now are going to have to find a sucker becuase the hand writing is on the wall of what is happening.

The lay offs are not "en mass" but the lay offs that are happening are the better higher paid jobs which were the people buying these over priced homes.
I saw one today for $2.48 million and it was listed as a bargain deal compared to it's $10 million original listing price. Now don't fight each other for it now.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:18 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,251,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
rhiannon67, I can understand that. I am a night person, and twilight is one of my favorite times no matter where I am.
Good to know I'm not alone

The light is perfect during that time.

I don't understand the appeal of that horrendously bright, burning orb of hell...at all. All that thing does is make me want to hide until it's very low in the sky....on its out for the day!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 AM

1,185 posts, read 798,803 times
I spent some time in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Loved the scenery but the cost of living was high and the winters are long and tedious. The lower 48 had more jobs opportunities with less harsher climate so had to follow the $$.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I'm odd, because it's the summer in Alaska that is the harder part for me. Too much sun. I can say this now having spent my first summer here. My hours got even crazier than usual because I would sleep at odd times during the day just to ensure I was up for the twilight hours. It got to a point I was desperate for some nighttime lol.

I like it cold and dark just fine. It comforts me. Could care less if the sun came out at all, honestly. If I had it my way it would be dark or twilight all the time.

The sun is my nemesis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
I spent some time in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Loved the scenery but the cost of living was high and the winters are long and tedious. The lower 48 had more jobs opportunities with less harsher climate so had to follow the $$.
WTF?

Are you two vampires or something?

What's the deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage