Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times

Advertisements

A lot of military families live in Eagle River. My wife worked on base and door to door it was 10 miles and usually 15 minutes including going thru the guard gate. She had to be there at 9am - so it wasn't the main part of rush hour. You can live closer than we do to the base in Eagle River as well. Chugiak and Peter's Creek are a little further away. To us a quick and close commute was paramount, which is why we choose Eagle River - and my wife's work was on the North end of the base too. She changed jobs and works in Anchorage itself now - which is why we are looking to move again.

Having said that, there are places in Anchorage proper that are close to the base too. It really depends on where on the base you will be stationed. The base is quite large. Although some of the areas close to the base in Anchorage I would try to avoid.

Been there, done that with the traffic (but not in PR). Being from Florida all of us had to get a new wardrobe too. Value Village, Kohl's, Costco, to a lesser extend Salvation Army Surplus stores. There are a couple of VV's in Anchorage and IIRC one in the Valley too. Still gotta be careful with prices, but we did find some clothes with the tags still on them for 50% - 75% less than the store they were bought from at Value Village. It seems to be the place people dump their new stuff at when they have to leave in a hurry. One thing I like about Value Village is that things are organized.

We got a lot of furniture on craigslist and went garage sale hunting too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 03:34 PM

80 posts, read 146,419 times
You may be able to wait to buy all your "winter" clothes if you are coming in May/June because it will in the 50-60s dry in comparison to humid temps of FL/PR - Dakster can probably weigh in on this since he's from FL. However, this is a good time to take advantage of sales because retailers are getting ready for spring/summer. Backcounty.com, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Cabelas, REI, and of course thrift stores (Platos Closet, Bishops Attic, Value Village, Salvation Army) and FB pages up here.

It is more difficult to rent with a lot of animals. Can you get base housing temporarily?

Here are some rentals that are "pets on approval" on the MLS:
flexmls

Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 PM

We bought a lot of warm stuff at that transition time in 2014 and got great deals as Erica pointed out.

Just a word of caution if you have always been in a warm climate. It isn't surviving the walk from the car to work outside, it's being stuck with your car disabled/broken down for hours on end on the side of the road. That requires you to dress or have supplies for that possibility in the car. In above zero temps, I've been known to walk outside to the car in shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt. However, I'm not sticking around outside in that.

My other advice, heated garage is a BIG BIG plus, but if not, you at least want some sort of covered parking. Saves a lot of work and frustration in the morning.

Good luck with animals and rentals is all I can say. It's tough. But with the market shifting, it may get a little easier. Animals are the one reason I really want to buy now, rather than wait. Otherwise I would be waiting a bit to see what happens to the real estate market here.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:34 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Our time in anchorage in the winter is always rough. It was 30ish degrees warmer on average than where we lived. I couldn't wait to get to the hotel to unload all my gear. One time I forgot my town shoes. I had a pair of birks for the conference and j had to wear my winter boots around town. Man did my feet stink.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:35 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
My advise on winter clothes. Make sure your outer layer is wind/water proof.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 13,779 times
Awesome, thanks for all the tips! I did manage to score 3 pairs of winter boots on Macy's clearance for $15-20 apiece (2 are waterproof, and one will be just for around the house) and was able to have them shipped here. I know I'm going to have a rough adjustment period, so I'm trying to prep as much as possible to make it less painful. I mean, going from 80s and sunny to having an actual winter for the first time ever would be tough on anyone!

As for the house situation, I'm really hoping we'll find something perfect since we're very willing to settle on an older place, extra deposits, whatever. Ideally, we'll find a nice ranch-style home with a backyard, fireplace, and at least a carport, if not a garage, but all that really matters is our pups being happy. Housing *may* be an option, but they weren't sure and said we could apply for a waiver for the 3rd dog, which we will be doing as a worst case scenario. I reached out to a realtor who does rentals and he advised there might be some possibilities available and to contact him a little closer to the move, so that's on my list. 99 days til we arrive!

Old 02-21-2016, 05:01 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
There is winter in Anchorage? A light fleece sweater and a pair or slippers should suffice .

In all seriousness, I knew someone who rented a house in Eagle river with 4 dogs, sight unseen, with no issues. They did have to pay a pet deposit for each dog, and if I recall correctly it may have been non refundable and $500 per dog.... This was from a property management company. Good luck to you.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
What kind of "pups" do you have?.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 13,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
There is winter in Anchorage? A light fleece sweater and a pair or slippers should suffice .

In all seriousness, I knew someone who rented a house in Eagle river with 4 dogs, sight unseen, with no issues. They did have to pay a pet deposit for each dog, and if I recall correctly it may have been non refundable and $500 per dog.... This was from a property management company. Good luck to you.

Well, ya know, 'winter' compared to the 85 degrees I'm working with here! And I'd be perfectly okay with those pet deposits! I hope I find something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
What kind of "pups" do you have?.
They're mixed-breeds. One is a 14 year old (70lb) Louisana Catahoula/black mouth cur, and the other 2 are 50 lb Puerto Rican Satos, which is slang for street dog strays. They're a complete mix of who-knows-what. The vet thought Roxy was chihuahua at first when she was 3lb, but now that she's 50lb, that's definitely not possible!

Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Tasha7712 - You will do fine in Anchorage and for the most part unless I am out hiking I wear tennis shoes. I see women wearing high heels. How they do it I don't know. Granted right now it's icy so you can't be in a hurry to walk or even drive. You need house slippers because you don't wear your shoes in the house - too muddy.

We pay an extra $50 per month rent for each pet. We didn't need an extra deposit. Everyone is different though.

The other thing get ready to have broken windshields. They sand and rock the roads here so busted windshields are very common. (It's referred to as the Alaska Windshield) Every vehicle I have has pits in the windshield and one this morning cracked all the way across it. And get ready to always have a dirty car unless you like spending $5 - $15 a day at the car wash.

Don't over think stuff and when you get here, you will figure it out pretty quickly as to what you need. I'm sure your new friends and co-workers will help you as ours have helped us. And of course this forum has some helpful people too.

6.7 - You are right about Anchorage not having a real winter, but it also doesn't have a summer - unlike interior AK, which can get really hot in the summer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage