Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,076,143 times

Advertisements

My income is not keeping up with inflation so while I am able to save the costs of things keep sky rocketing (even gas is not that low relative to oil). I could go on a couple of years hiadus but thats about it, certianly not retirement. Also I dont know if you have researched getting jobs in other countries or even fed jobs but its not a cake walk and it pays considerably less than oil and the research I have done shows that most other places with good jobs are not overly cheap (cheaper than anchorage but not so cheap that I could live for 20 years underemployed).

Plus you have to learn a new lauguage which I am doing but its onerous and difficult and not fast. I I could maintain my current standard of living working in a coffee shop in reyjeveck iceland I would have been there yesterday lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
No! you are still here! You have been complaining long enough to have saved up enough money to move to any place in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 04:21 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,176,883 times
If you plan on staying in the USA you better learn Spanish. Iceland intrigues me too.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,473,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
If you plan on staying in the USA you better learn Spanish. Iceland intrigues me too.
Certainly need Spanish in my last locale... You'd think you were in another country since most of the time I get addressed in Spanish first.

I admit, Iceland and Greenland intrigue me too. But I don't see anything more than a potential visit to those places.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:29 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,071,257 times
In school we had a choice between Spanish and French... I never understood why so many people chose French. Seriously? Are you ever going to use that? Ever?? Ever ever ever?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:43 PM

681 posts, read 1,199,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
In school we had a choice between Spanish and French... I never understood why so many people chose French. Seriously? Are you ever going to use that? Ever?? Ever ever ever?
If you want to travel in Africa, French is handy.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
If you want to travel in Africa, French is handy.
Right. I'm sure it's handy if you want to travel to France too. I don't. My point is that for Americans learning Spanish is about one million times more practical, not to mention is a desired skill that will earn a person more money in the workforce and is often required for jobs in certain areas of the country.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 PM

It was the lesser of 2 crappy languages, anyone who goes into a technical field should learn Russian or German but neither of those languages were offered in my high school.

I retained almost nothing from french because I did not want to learn it, had I picked spanish it would have been the same, it was to check a box for college admissions.

Now I am going back and trying to learn Russian and it is very difficult, you see how much you take for granted all the different words we know to describe things and to have to replace all of those words is hard when you are older. Not that high school age was that much different.

People probably thought knowing french would help them get laid? Who knows.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 PM

Not areas I want to live in or jobs I want to do.

Quote:
Right. I'm sure it's handy if you want to travel to France too. I don't. My point is that for Americans learning Spanish is about one million times more practical, not to mention is a desired skill that will earn a person more money in the workforce and is often required for jobs in certain areas of the country.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 PM

German would have served me very well in my career. I can read a lot of turbine components and can understand some of the same in spoken language but pretty much zero conversational, and I can't speak any except to butcher a handful of components. Like you said about Russian, German is a very difficult language to learn. It's one of those languages that is hard for Americans to spit out.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,473,935 times
Kinda like Latin, you learn it so if you run into an ancient Roman you could speak to him or her. (sarcasm).

I tried learning Spanish in high school, but like Pittsflyer I wasn't really interested in it. At one point I got to a middle school level in conversational spanish - but once you stop using it, you lose it. And of course the spanish I learned was cuban spanish, not spain spanish.

I thought German was a very structured language with strict rules and was easier than other languages to learn.

I wish you luck learning Russian Pittsflyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage