Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,067,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I would never do a post dated check either.

500 gal. tank at $5 a gal... That's a lot of coin at $2500.... Even now at $1250 thats a lot to come up with when you are already doing first, security and moving expenses.
Darn right... plus steep rent + security (which equaled one month's rent), it cost me quite a chunk of change to move up here. We need to remember fuel deposits next time someone asks us about moving up here. It can be a huge expense, no matter the price of fuel. Especially if you move up here in winter like I did. I got here in the middle of October, which was not ideal but necessary.

Oh yeah, we also need to remember to tell people that most places require you get a minimum of 100-gallons for delivery, or of course you can haul your own via 5 or 10 gallon containers or get a 55 gal drum and a pump, which I jokingly refer to as "man work." lol. Neither is a good time when it's -40*F, which is when every rookie either remembers or discovers they need fuel... or propane, if you're lucky enough to have a propane stove, and no one delivers propane. Can't forget, mostly these are above ground tanks. It's a ***** to fill a below-ground tank in the dark when it's cold, let alone one that's how many feet off the ground.

Oh yeah, speaking of "man work," don't forget you also have to PLOW! Sounds fun. Gets old in about 10 minutes flat. Ohh, and you have to rake the roof, too. Nothing fun about that. What other "man work" did I forget? I know there's more.

Dang I'm just full of it today, aren't I??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 05:12 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,175,344 times
"What other "man work" did I forget?"

No Comment!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,468,165 times
Riceme - Yikes... You are on a roll... I had a 55 gal. drum with a pump in Miami so I could store extra fuel. Unless I needed the height of a pickup bed to get it into an above ground tank I wouldn't do that. I do have 5 gal containers and you are correct that none of that is fun at -40. In the past 2 years I have been in Anchorage it hasn't really snowed, so when it does, I'll let you know how long it took to get old.

I have OCD when it comes to fuel. I don't like to let my vehicles get below half and I've been known to top off at 3/4 full if it is convenient. So I am confident that I would have my Jerry cans filled up and would be dumping them in the above tank often. Where I currently live we have natural gas piped to the house, but I still keep a couple cans of gasoline and diesel full since we have both a gas and diesel vehicle. I also have 2 propane tanks for the gas grill... As soon as one is empty, I'm getting it refilled or exchanged....

For the benefit of others, as I know Riceme and RayinAK know this already. These are probably not necessary things to do, but are good habits especially if you are living in Alaska. Can't be over prepared. If the 'big one' hits or a Volcano erupts you could be days to weeks without access to supplies. And having up to a 3 weeks supply of some sort of food and water isn't a bad idea either. Obviously if you are on a cistern you would just use the water for drinking/cooking to extend your supply. And of course if it is winter with snow/ice around melting and sterilizing water could be done in a pinch. (Just avoid the yellow snow)

Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,175,344 times
What no spare air filters for your vehicles?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,147,132 times
Quote:
I would never do a post dated check either.

500 gal. tank at $5 a gal... That's a lot of coin at $2500.... Even now at $1250 thats a lot to come up with when you are already doing first, security and moving expenses.
We dropped $4k on our house before we even saw it. Then the power deposit.
Our moving expenses was handled through the post office (within the state) and the barge. It ended up being $12k to move 400 miles south. Lol.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Darn right... plus steep rent + security (which equaled one month's rent), it cost me quite a chunk of change to move up here. We need to remember fuel deposits next time someone asks us about moving up here. It can be a huge expense, no matter the price of fuel. Especially if you move up here in winter like I did. I got here in the middle of October, which was not ideal but necessary.

Oh yeah, we also need to remember to tell people that most places require you get a minimum of 100-gallons for delivery, or of course you can haul your own via 5 or 10 gallon containers or get a 55 gal drum and a pump, which I jokingly refer to as "man work." lol. Neither is a good time when it's -40*F, which is when every rookie either remembers or discovers they need fuel... or propane, if you're lucky enough to have a propane stove, and no one delivers propane. Can't forget, mostly these are above ground tanks. It's a ***** to fill a below-ground tank in the dark when it's cold, let alone one that's how many feet off the ground.

Oh yeah, speaking of "man work," don't forget you also have to PLOW! Sounds fun. Gets old in about 10 minutes flat. Ohh, and you have to rake the roof, too. Nothing fun about that. What other "man work" did I forget? I know there's more.

I don't mention the fuel deposit but I do include it in my initial move in cost. I believe I tell them $3500 for move in costs.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:44 PM

Man's work- chopping/packing wood

Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,468,165 times
That was an expensive move. I don't think I paid that much to move 5000 miles...

Old 02-14-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
That was an expensive move. I don't think I paid that much to move 5000 miles...
Part of that cost was barge fee for the car. It wasn't cheap. Bush Alaska is nice, but it has a price.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:19 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,067,274 times
I actually kind of like splitting wood. I find it therapeutic, but it still qualifies as man work and it for sure sucked when I had to do it all by myself.

I was in for $4100 just for move-in expenses, not counting gasoline and everything else when I moved up. And that was for a dry cabin .

Dak, I am also really anal about keeping fuel in my vehicle. It never gets below 1/4 tank and I always have at least 5-gal in the back, plus a rotating stockpile at home. I get agitated when I get into someone else's vehicle and it's on or near empty. It's hard for me not to mention it, which is problematic 100% of the time when it's a man. Same thing with tires. It drives me nuts when people ignore tire inflation.

I have to say, I'm impressed with your 1/2 tank rule. That's pretty aggressive, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage