Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 02:11 AM

44 posts, read 157,452 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Alaskans! I just finished reading on City-Data/Alaska of someone coming from out-of-state for school here. I found this site recently in my reading travels and remembered it. I believe it was a link inside a Business Insider article. It shows the cost of college in each U.S. state. Very interesting. It shows Alaska as the 2nd most affordable at $4,649 in-state, per year, college education in the U.S(behind Wyoming). I continued through each graphic and find that Vermont is the 49th most expensive state at $14,419 in-state, per year, for college costs(behind New Hampshire#1 most expensive). I had no idea Alaska would be the second least expensive state to go to school in front of all other states. This link shows 2014-2015 school year. Stunning! I don't think the University system is part of the budget cuts, but some things might be? I went to school at Anchorage Community College, which has been absorbed, in the early 80's but I can't remember what the cost was then.

Here is the link of college costs of each state: The Best and Worst Places to Stay for a Low-Cost College Education | Buccareer.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:47 AM

681 posts, read 1,199,312 times
Those numbers look low. My son, who lives at home, pays almost $7k in tuition and fees before scholarships. Add books and other expenses and it's over $8k. Someone living on the campus will be over $10k.

https://uaf.edu/catalog/current/expenses/tuition.html

If you follow the news, you will see that UA is very much a part of the budget cuts.

Last edited by akpls; 02-27-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 6,283 times
Clemson univ in sc cost $20g+ a year just for tuition. by the time all is paid ( ie. books,room,board...etc) its over $60g yearly. From what ive read schooling cost is one other perk I am looking forward to our move up there.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,149,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raemarti View Post
Hello fellow Alaskans! I just finished reading on City-Data/Alaska of someone coming from out-of-state for school here. I found this site recently in my reading travels and remembered it. I believe it was a link inside a Business Insider article. It shows the cost of college in each U.S. state. Very interesting. It shows Alaska as the 2nd most affordable at $4,649 in-state, per year, college education in the U.S(behind Wyoming). I continued through each graphic and find that Vermont is the 49th most expensive state at $14,419 in-state, per year, for college costs(behind New Hampshire#1 most expensive). I had no idea Alaska would be the second least expensive state to go to school in front of all other states. This link shows 2014-2015 school year. Stunning! I don't think the University system is part of the budget cuts, but some things might be? I went to school at Anchorage Community College, which has been absorbed, in the early 80's but I can't remember what the cost was then.

Here is the link of college costs of each state: The Best and Worst Places to Stay for a Low-Cost College Education | Buccareer.com
I think it is more than that. I'm paying about $1500 a class just for tuition. That doesn't include books or Internet fees. I am taking online graduate classes and three classes run me 15 gigs of data.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky dunk View Post
Clemson univ in sc cost $20g+ a year just for tuition. by the time all is paid ( ie. books,room,board...etc) its over $60g yearly. From what ive read schooling cost is one other perk I am looking forward to our move up there.
It takes two years to be a resident for schooling purposes and in Homer I believe you'd have a nice commute for school.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,473,935 times
I did prepaid college for my kids. Not the Alaska plan though, the Florida one. The Alaska one on a 5 point scale gets a '1' where '5' is the best. Florida is only a '2' so not much better.

Homer to Anchorage for school is not a doable commute as Haolejohn eloquently pointed out.

Aren't grad classes more expensive than undergrad?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I did prepaid college for my kids. Not the Alaska plan though, the Florida one. The Alaska one on a 5 point scale gets a '1' where '5' is the best. Florida is only a '2' so not much better.

Homer to Anchorage for school is not a doable commute as Haolejohn eloquently pointed out.

Aren't grad classes more expensive than undergrad?
Cheaper than nonresident I believe.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:09 PM

44 posts, read 157,452 times
akpls, our University system was not included in large, 'hard' state cuts prior. This year, 2016, through big pressures of the state budget, UA was put on the cutting board.

I sure would like to know how this article got it's numbers? and exactly what their numbers mean. Pretty sure the examples are all public universities or state college costs.

Thought sure too, I would get a rise out of someone.... Bernie Sanders state of Vermont being 2nd highest college tuition in the U.S. Isn't college costs Bernie's deal?...yes. Although Vermont's governor handles state 'gives and take a ways', Bernie has been Vermont's Senator for many, many years. One would think he would have gotten his states' college costs, at least to center, before going on the national stage. lol

Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM

681 posts, read 1,199,312 times
Yup, the BIG cuts for UA are yet to come. From the chatter on campus, my son thinks big tuition hikes might eventually come, but most don't think that will even be enough to save some programs.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:10 PM

459 posts, read 603,873 times
I do think that UAA has a reciprocal tuition with some states that you can pay instate fees just by transferring up there. In the late 80's, I was thinking about moving up here transferring from Eastern WA Univ. and it was actually cheaper to pay for college in AK because UAA had semesters and EWU had trimesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage