U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,260 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Moving to Anchorage area for my job. Born and raised in VA, then moved to CA for school. Currently living outside of Los Angeles, and I absolutely hate it and can't wait to get out!

Just took a quick four-day trip up there. Loved it. I wouldn't say I like Anchorage that much, but maybe that's because where my hotel was was downtown, and that's pretty much all I saw. I went out to Seward, Talkeetna, and some other little places, which I absolutely fell in love with, the people, everything.

Because I wasn't too fond with what I saw in Anchorage, I'm looking for a place in the outskirts. I remember going through Wasilla and liked that area. I don't believe I drove through Palmer, but I'm looking at places there, too. Could anyone, kind of, give me some other "outskirt area" suggestions, or the differences between Wasilla and Palmer? I remember driving past Eagle River, but didn't actually stop to go see it. Whatever input you'd like to add would be greatly appreciated! Also, having serious trouble finding a place that's pet friendly.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,552,797 times
We live in Wasilla. We almost bought in Palmer and sometimes I wish I had. Between here and Anchorage there's Peter's Creek, Chugiak, Birchwood & Eagle River.
The actual city limits of Palmer & Wasilla is fairly small. So there's lots of residential areas on the outskirts of both towns and in between.
The difference between Palmer & Wasilla: Wasilla is more commercial, with more stores. We've got Target, a Super Walmart, full size Fred Meyer's (although they are building one in Palmer), Sears, etc... Palmer has more of a small town feel. Some people really hate Wasilla, but I've never understood the angst.
For Palmer & Wasilla and the surrounding area (often referred to as the "core" area of the MatSu Valley) the "good" areas and "bad" areas in interspersed with each other. So in looking for places to live you'll want to see it for yourself before you commit. If you are going to be renting, the more strict the process, the better. Look for a landlord who is very particular about who they rent to. Having pets will make it more challenging, but not impossible.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:10 PM

AKStafford, thank you so much for your response! You gave me the exact info I was looking for.

Maybe the best thing to do will be when I move up there to stay in a hotel for a few days and look around, see the actual place first. I'm looking for something that is around 1,400 (utilities included would be nice!) so I'm hoping with that that it will be in a decent area. It will be just me and my little 15 pound dog, so definitely looking for something safe and comfortable!

Would you say that 1,400 will land me in a good area, or is that too low, or do you just never know and have to check it out first?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:59 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,856,134 times
In my personal opinion, Palmer is much nicer. It feels like more of an actual town, while Wasilla seems to feel more suburban, congested and developed. That's not to say there's not nice areas of Wasilla, but the traffic down the parks with all the stoplights really puts a damper on things.

Is your job in Anchorage? If I was just renting, I wouldn't commute all the way to and from the valley. The only way you can justify that commute is if you are owning for way way less than you would in Anchorage. I'd look more closely at eagle river. A little more expensive rental wise probably, but a much saner commute.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEAP2009 View Post
Would you say that 1,400 will land me in a good area, or is that too low, or do you just never know and have to check it out first?
Based on what my sister-in-law is paying, $1,400 a month should be good. They pay about that for a 3 bedroom duplex.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:26 PM

21 posts, read 26,855 times
I moved to Anchorage from Fairbanks in '82 and at that time, both Wasilla and Palmer were quiet little communities. Since that time they've both grown tremendously and are still growing. Recently a friend posted that the glacial silt and dust was making it difficult to breathe. I understand the commute to and from the Valley to work in Anchorage is a total nightmare, especially during the winter. So sorry if this sounds like a downer--I'm just stating my personal observations. If it were me, I would seriously consider the Eagle River area. It's beautiful there.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

I'm a certified shorthand reporter and will be doing most of my work from home. Every couple of weeks I will head into the city for work, so I won't have to make the drive too often. (I'm also in the car now five to six hours a day commuting to and from Los Angeles, so I think anything is better than that) I will definitely look into the Eagle River area.

I see that paying 1,400 will land me with a three bedroom or two bedroom place, which I'm not really looking for because it's just me and my little dog. All of the one bedroom/studio's I've researched are all much cheaper but in not so great areas. Are there any nicer one bedroom places that I can find like that, or are they all pretty much in apartment complexes? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Old 05-16-2016, 07:17 PM

Jack White has a list of rentals: Search Rentals - Page 1
Yundt Homes has been building some great places: Available Rentals | Palmer Alaska Custom Homes | Robert Yundt Homes
If you have a question about a specific address or area, I might be able to give you some feedback. I'm pretty familiar with most areas of the Valley (eight years as a school bus driver...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage