Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to stay?
Yes, I like it here 3 100.00%
No, I want to move 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,505 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Anchorage and I very much would like to move!

1. Anchorage is definitely not what it used to be.. it used to be so safe that you could even roam around in mountain view walking at 1AM and have absolutely no problem! Now days its so unsafe that you literally should keep a weapon on you at all times.

2. The quality of life is not worth the cost of living. Here to get a decent 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood is around 1,000 to 1500 $ if even that! If you want anything cheaper you will be in a bad neighborhood which makes you more likely to be a victim of crime. I used to live in Spenard because they have some lower rental options but man I felt super unsafe because of all of the people that lived around me. Once I was walking home and this strange man kept staring at me from the street so my gut instinct told me to not go in the doors closest to my apt so I took the main building entry and I got by my apt and WOW what do ya know? The strange man was face to face with me because he took the entry way closes to my apt. I'm so glad I didn't take that way because he would have been RIGHT behind me and easily could have harmed me. Luckily since we came from opposite directions he just looked at me and I kept walking. I know for a fact that he did not live in my apt building and he was a very sketchy looking guy but there all over spenard. Alaska also has the highest rape stats so theres no doubt in my mind that he wanted to harm me. It costs alot of money just to be safe here, in some states you can rent a nice condo for only 800 dollars! The only reason half of the people in Anchorage get by is because of the pfd and generous government assistance help.

3. Just like in #2 Anchorage is full of creeps! It's hard to go anywhere sometimes without creepy men staring to trying to talk to you. I once took the city bus with a friend and I ended up getting stalked and chased by this homeless man all over downtown! That's only one of the many stories yet. Even the other day I was pumping gas and this random samoan guy walks up to me and tries getting me to hangout and smoke some dope with him in the middle of the night.. wtf? Women here really have to watch out because rape here is in every corner. It's so bad that in some neighborhoods you can't even feel safe simply just taking a walk. I sometimes even wear baggy clothes just so less creeps will find me appealing.

4. Anchorage is too small. If you're born and raised here you know that everywhere you go you literally see everyone you know. Plus, everyone knows everyone, even if you haven't met them you still know of them and literally all of their buisness. Everytime I go out to eat at a popular restaurant I see at least 4 to 5 people I know. I've even caught my friends bf with other women. It's hard for people to stay low key here because you everytime you step out you see everyone but hey that's just Anchorage. Plus there is only limited things to do here. There's the malls and a few other places but it is extremely boring for young people who want to get out and "live" especially during the winter.

I am very much disgusted and bored of anchorage and I am looking to move out. Everyday the crime just gets worse and worse.. I live in a neighborhood with million dollar homes and not even a month ago two intruders were in our backyard! Luckily the police got them to runaway, I've lived in this same house since 2012 and we have never had ANY problems except for now. Plus with this economy and pfd cuts, the criminals are really gonna start coming out and trying to take what ever they can from anyone they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:42 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
You should definitely move to Alaska ASAP. I think you'll like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: