Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 AM

45 posts, read 211,951 times

Advertisements

Is it difficult to leave Anchorage in the Winter? Is the airport closed to flights more often than not? What about trains? I am looking into moving to Anchorage, and wondered if it would be difficult to get to the lower 48 to spend Christmas with my family each year.

Thanks in advacne for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I don't remember the Anchorage Airport ever closing due to weather in Anchorage. The one train will take you to Fairbanks or Seward or Whittier. It does not run all the way to the lower 48.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,032 times
Thumbs up Anc & Flying...

It is not difficult to fly out of ANC in the winter, but depending on where you are flying, it can be costly & timely.

Best thing is to watch Alaska Airlines for specials, and when you find one - book it! If you watch them regularly, you'll become familiar with fares for the areas you want to fly. Begin to accumulate miles asap - there are a variety of ways. I flew free twice just in miles accumulated - store, gas stations, however & wherever they are offered for things you'd buy anyway. AK Airlines isn't limited to AK - they fly in many places in the L48 now, too.

When I went, I was flying from Midwest & either had to fly through Mpls or Seattle from my original destination. At the time, an *average* price was $700 R.T., and the cheapest I'd found that route was $340ish. For the holidays, I recommend booking in-advance and *not* traveling through places where airports are consistently delayed in winters with hefty snow reports (e.g., Denver - besides that, it's a boring airport if you get stuck!)

Also, timewise, plan on a long layover *somewhere* & take at least something to snack on & a bottled water. (That you'll have to buy in the airport now, but a snack you can carry on-board.) If I were to get stuck an an airport... Minneapolis has some great shopping, and Cinncinati (I think - or Cleveland) is nice as well! Seattle is fun if you have the time - take a longer layover, and you can shuttle bus to the Market for a couple hours before you have to return for your plane! (And leave your carry-on bags in the aiport security for just a few dollars so you don't have to tote them!)

You'll love AK! There's no place like it.
Enjoy!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,970 times
Cats,

Ted Stevens (Anchorage Intl) is one of the largest air cargo transportation hubs in the world (read top 5--generally considered #3 behind Memphis and Hong Kong). What that translates to...no, no closures (air cargo is a time sensitive business).

And you get the added benefit of a roller coaster ride when coming into/out of the "Bowl" (turbulence). My wife hates it, I kinda dig it

Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I think the hardest part of flying out of Anchorage in the winter would be actually having to leave Alaska at all. I'm sure that the airport clears the runways & deices the planes.
In my mind its the emotions associated with leaving that trouble me.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think the hardest part of flying out of Anchorage in the winter would be actually having to leave Alaska at all. I'm sure that the airport clears the runways & deices the planes. In my mind its the emotions associated with leaving that trouble me.
Yes, Owl... thank you for sharing the perspective. So true!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 211,951 times
Thanks for the reassurance! It sounds like it is actually easier to fly out of Anchorage than other places. Last Christmas I spent 11 hours sitting at OHaire before I could get a flight out. The Chicago wind grounds planes often.
Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
You don't have too many smooth flights into or out of Anchorage, that wind that comes up from Turnagain Arm can be strong (when do you have a smooth flight there anyways?) and a bouncy ride. One time the pilot fought the plane all the way to touch down, fun. Nothing you can do about it, you're just on it for the ride. Try taking sleep aid while flying, no worries after that.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 81,115 times
It can be costly, but I know a lot of people get the Alaska Airlines mileage card in order to get free trips down to the lower 48.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:09 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Northwest Airlines flies in & out of ANC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage