U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,816,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkucza View Post
Hello. My brother and I are planning on taking a trip from Kansas to Alaska this summer. It should be quite a drive! We haven't ever crossed the border, so we are wondering, with the new legislation, if we'll need passports to drive from the border to Alaska? (We'll be crossing on I-29 from North Dakota). Also, we'd be driving a Pontiac Vibe. Are the roads ok for that type of vehicle? Any information would be great. Thanks!

If I were you I would apply for your passport it makes traveling through Canada so much easier than not having it. I've done both and without your are ask numerous questions, with it you are welcomed and sent on your way.

Plus they last for 10 years might as well bite the bullet they are a very good way to show identiy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

26 posts, read 57,012 times
I agree with Tressa. You should get a passport just for ease through the border if nothing else.

It amazes me how many Americans don't have a passport. In Europe, most of the population has passports, but it seems to be the oddity in the US. It begs the question, why don't Americans travel to other countries?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,808,368 times
Depending on the mood of the crossing guards, you can have a hassle free crossing or you have a complete search of your belongings or vehicle. Your passport is good for ten years from the date issued, that means the next trip you take, thats one less worry for you.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 PM

11,770 posts, read 18,384,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polockm203 View Post
I agree with Tressa. You should get a passport just for ease through the border if nothing else.

It amazes me how many Americans don't have a passport. In Europe, most of the population has passports, but it seems to be the oddity in the US. It begs the question, why don't Americans travel to other countries?
That's a good question. I've had a passport since I was a child. My parents traveled to Europe every summer with my brother & myself so that we could see a bit of the world. My brother travels frequently for both business & pleasure. I travel mostly for pleasure so I keep my passport updated as well.

I think that a great many Americans are satisfied traveling the lower 48, so they don't see the need for a passport. That may change when passports are required to travel to the Caribbean islands.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 PM

Barkingowl,

I think that's great that your parents took you out of the country since you were a child. I've been to 6 foreign countries in the last year, and each one I go to opens my eyes more and more. We live in an amazing country, but how can you truly appreciate it if you don't see (first hand) how other people live?

Stasia

Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm heading to Europe in May for a three week trip, a cross cultural tour. This will be my first time overseas, I can't wait. From what I've read about the places we're going to, I'm keeping an open mind and going to try what they eat/drink, I'll even try escargot in Paris. Sure, I've been through Canada 13 times on the Alcan and I had fun each and every time, but this will for sure be a new experience and you never know, I'll head back there again in the future.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Dude, where (other than France) are you going? I just got back from a trip to Spain, Italy, and Portugal.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM

England, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, and Italy. Taking the ferry from England to the Netherlands and taking the train to the other countries. We're also taking Eurorail from Italy to Paris, and Paris to London through the Chunnel.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,816,881 times
For some reason I haven't had the urge to go to Europe, been down to Mexico a couple time, and to the Caribbien Islands but other than Canada that pretty much it. I do like having my passport though and I use it often

Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
England, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, and Italy. Taking the ferry from England to the Netherlands and taking the train to the other countries. We're also taking Eurorail from Italy to Paris, and Paris to London through the Chunnel.
Italy was amazing. Rome, specifically. If you need a place to stay, we stayed in an apartment that was really cool (I can get you the info if you don't already have a place). The owner gives a really sweet magic show and treats you right.

The only prob about Europe is that it's so expensive!!! Damn dollar! Other than that, it's pretty cool. Public transportation rocks over there. The metro is usually pretty easy to navigate, although the bus system can be a bit more difficult.

Damn, now I have the travel itch! (better than other itches I guess, lol!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage