U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 PM

11 posts, read 68,461 times

Advertisements

Hello. My brother and I are planning on taking a trip from Kansas to Alaska this summer. It should be quite a drive! We haven't ever crossed the border, so we are wondering, with the new legislation, if we'll need passports to drive from the border to Alaska? (We'll be crossing on I-29 from North Dakota). Also, we'd be driving a Pontiac Vibe. Are the roads ok for that type of vehicle? Any information would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,798,983 times
Any car will work good on the Alcan, its paved all the way with constructions areas through out the system. Right now, there is a ongoing project at Sheep Mountain that will cause delays most of the summer, they started on this last year. That was the main construction area and down at Donjek River, they're putting in a new bridge there. Yes, you do need a passport now because of Idiot Bush, I mean president. Get yourself a new Milepost Magazine, that is the Bible of driving up to Alaska, read it and learn it.

How to drive the Alcan:

A Guide to the Alaska Highway (Alcan) - ExploreNorth

How to Drive to Alaska in the Summer - ExploreNorth

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM

338 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkucza View Post
Hello. My brother and I are planning on taking a trip from Kansas to Alaska this summer. It should be quite a drive! We haven't ever crossed the border, so we are wondering, with the new legislation, if we'll need passports to drive from the border to Alaska? (We'll be crossing on I-29 from North Dakota). Also, we'd be driving a Pontiac Vibe. Are the roads ok for that type of vehicle? Any information would be great. Thanks!
*No* passport needed for now - the requirement was delayed. Read this link: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html - broken link) for specific information on what you *do* need as well as other pertinent travel information:

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL
The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website (http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm - broken link).
  • CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document - broken link); or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    As early as June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document - broken link).
From where are you starting in KS? You're going to have a GREAT time!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM

Thumbs up The Milepost & Alaska Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
...Get yourself a new Milepost Magazine, that is the Bible of driving up to Alaska, read it and learn it...
Ditto. This was one of the best bits of advice I'd rec'd before going to AK. It's like having the road right in front of your face in print:

Alaska Travel Guide and Alaska Trip Planner, The MILEPOST: Alaskan travel guide and Alaskan trip planner for Alaska, Yukon Territory, British Columbia, Alberta and Northwest Territories - Get your copy using this link.

Also, I really enjoyed reading Alaska Magazine. It's simple stories and fun photos just fed the flame before I was able to go and stirred some sentiment once I returned to the L48. Check it out: Alaska Magazine is life in Alaska travel and Alaska cruises and Alaska news - Home

What a great time! Enjoy...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 68,461 times
Thanks for the information. That will help a lot. We're starting from Lawrence, KS. We're pumped about the trip!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up Driving Routes & Denali

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkucza View Post
Thanks for the information. That will help a lot. We're starting from Lawrence, KS. We're pumped about the trip!
You are welcome. I have family & friends in KS and almost ended up at KU. I was asking bc I was wondering if you had considering driving further West, then North? I don't know if you've driven through ND, but it's not as scenic as other states further West - *if* you are planning on making a road-trip of it. The other thing is that having done a lot of road-tripping myself, I found that once I visited destinations like AK, so many other places paled *in comparison* for scenery... so I was glad I had at least driven through the others first.

How long are you planning on staying? Are you planning any sort of itinerary, or just winging it once you arrive?

Obviously, Denali is a place on most ppl's list if they travel above the SE. But once I saw it, it really did just set me back. It is truly awesome - in fact, awesome can't even describe it. If you go, and it's not clear the first day, hang around... it is said to clear about every 3rd day - and that is what happened with myself while I was there. You can see if from ANC without going, but it was well worth the drive to make the trip up to get even closer. I wanted to take a helicopter to it, but by that point, my funds were sufficiently low enough that I had to make a note of that for a later time...

Have a REALLY great time - you're going to LOVE it!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,242,323 times
Ok I don't know if you have thought about this but do you or him have any type of record no matter how old? If so you may have issues entering Canada. There is a chance you may not but if you have a record make sure it is something that wouldn't make you inadmissable into Canada. Anything to do with drinking or drugs no matter how old can keep you out for sure but so can other things. And as said earlier no need for a passport but you better have your ID,birth certificate,and a insurance card,not talking about the one they send out with your policy normally but a special one you have to request.
Not saying if you have a record you WON'T get in just you stand a chance of being asked and if you lie you could get into deep poo.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Lightbulb Amhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
...deep poo.
Great advice, Mom! The link I'd sent him does show the requirements, including the birth cert, etc. It should be pointed out that it needs to be an official one with a raised seal, not the pretty ones your Momma fills out and glues into your baby book!

If it was me, I'd order one from your birth state rather than use the original. You don't want that one getting lost. In fact, if they don't cost much, you might want to get more than one since you'll be going to/from just in case you lose the first one on some wild river boat ride! (Keep one in your vehicle in a separate place.)

In the event that you *would* be denied access into CAN, you can always keep driving West to Bellingham, WA and get on the ferry:

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF

There are separate charges for both the passenger and the vehicle, so you'll want to check that. One nice thing about the ferry is that you don't have to decide in-advance where you want to go - whether you buy a ticket upfront from one place to another, or... if you break it down and buy a ticket individually between each location, it's all the same. And it gives you more flexibility in deciding where you might want to stay a few extra days or just a couple of hours, then get back on the "road."

Another cool thing about it is that ... you can have another little semi-adventure by sleeping on deck - even in a tent if you'd like! I thought that'd be fun, but I had a lot of extra stuff with me when I went, so I got a cabin ... but they are yet an add'l charge.

Whether or not you intend to use it, it would be a good idea to at least look - just in case! Again, great thinking Megen's Mom!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 PM

16,104 posts, read 16,087,190 times
You can't really just hop on the ferry with a vehicle during the summer months. It's usually booked during that time, as are most of the cabins.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:12 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,815,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You can't really just hop on the ferry with a vehicle during the summer months. It's usually booked during that time, as are most of the cabins.

You got that right, I planned to have a vehicle on the ferry to head south. Very expensive and you need to make your plans far in advance and now that they only run one ferry a week space is limited. The only way to avoid Canada is to take the Bellingham ferry and get off in Whittier, Valdez or even Seward. For us we are hopping on the Whittier to Bellingham an 8 day trip but will be very awesome, our trip with rooms cost $5,000 now that we already have our tickets and such hopfully they won't increase it again due to the fuel charges going way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage