Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

In two weeks, three of us, my daughter, son-in-law, and myself, will be on a quick trip to Alaska. After a few days fishing in Seward, we drive to Homer for 2 nights, then drive to Anchorage for 2 nights. After that we fly home. That leaves us with only one day to visit Anchorage. Actually a little less than a day since we have tickets to the Whale Fat Follies that evening.
How should we best spend a few hours in Anchorage?
Here's a few things I've pretty much decided NOT TO DO this trip:
1. Not visit the Anchorage Museum. That's because Balto won't be there nor will the Alaska Pipeline exhibit.
2. Not hike to Flat Top. It's a more strenuous hike than we want to do this time.
During a previous visit, I enjoyed eating breakfast at Peggy's. Is that still an OK place? Or should we try somewhere else.
Years ago, I thought the walk around Earthquake Park was interesting, but that was almost 20 years ago. Is that still an interesting place to visit?
So, I ask you folks what do you suggest we see/do during our few hours there?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
By the way, for you that live in Alaska, I have said for years that if, for whatever reason, I had gone to Alaska as a young man, I would still be there.
Glenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Make sure you have dinner at The Cookery in Seward. Astounding food!!! I would give them 10 stars. They are only open 5-9pm and I think 5 days a week. The chef cooks right behind the bar. We ate there twice and would have eaten every night. The halibut, a special, was melt in your mouth. The fried chicken is a great treat.

The SeaLife Center in Seward is very well done. Some of the puffins are so friendly, they will come right over.

Check out the Pratt Museum in Homer. Considering how small the town is, the museum is great. Watch the 30 minute video on bears. We both enjoyed it very much. The Fat Olive was a good place to eat. Prof. service and quality food.

Eat at Snow City downtown Anchorage. Breakfast and lunch. They do reservations and have been quite busy. If you want a bakery stop for a quick bite, Fire Island is wonderful for a baked snack and coffee. We had Moosetooth pizza (very popular place) and give it a thumbs up.

Earthquake park was ok but the views from the next two viewing spots along the same road were better. Got a great picture of Denali.

If a weekend, go to the Marketplace outside downtown. Handicrafts and food booths. Overlooks the train station.

There is a small book detailing a bunch of hikes around Anchorage. Barnes and Noble there has it. If you can rent a bike, there are wonderful trails all around Anchorage. Many are places we used to have rough trails in the 50s and 60s. An easy one is Westchester lagoon. Parking in a couple of places and an asphalt walk/bike trail not too far from downtown.

It is always fun to drive up the mountain side and check out the homes and views. Potter's Marsh if you are interested in birds.

Lived there from 53-77 and just returned from visiting my brother.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Moose's Tooth !

Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Instead of snow city (trendy place) eat at Kriner's diner. Their corn beef hash is the best. Anchorage is a city and it has the typical city things. The bike recommendation is a good one. If I only had one day in Anchorage, I'd hit earthquake park, or the wildlife center thing.
I'd honestly recommend using the day in anchorage as a day of rest and eating. Hit either Kriner's or Gweenie's for breakfast. Thai kitchen for lunch and either moose or bear tooth for dinner.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Earthquake park is nothing now like it was 20 yrs ago. You get a nice view of the mountains on the other side of the inlet but you get no idea of what it looked like after the quake. It is all grown over with birch trees now. I first saw it in 1972 and you could still get an idea of the destruction, not it just looks like a new birch forest.
New Berlin Restaurant is good for lunch or dinner. For burgers, Arctic roadrunner on Old Seward Highway and look at all the old pictures. Lucky Wishbone for burgers or fried chicken. For a local hole in the wall breakfast place that locals only frequent try Jackie's Place.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Earthquake park is nothing now like it was 20 yrs ago. You get a nice view of the mountains on the other side of the inlet but you get no idea of what it looked like after the quake. It is all grown over with birch trees now. I first saw it in 1972 and you could still get an idea of the destruction, not it just looks like a new birch forest.
New Berlin Restaurant is good for lunch or dinner. For burgers, Arctic roadrunner on Old Seward Highway and look at all the old pictures. Lucky Wishbone for burgers or fried chicken. For a local hole in the wall breakfast place that locals only frequent try Jackie's Place.
Thanks for the food suggestions. Always looking for new places to eat.
We do enjoy arctic roadrunners, and I always forget to recommend it. Mainly because we e only eaten there a few times, but that is mainly because I always forget the name and the cash only thing.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:00 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Moose's Tooth !
Way, way way, way over rated. Meh at best.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Moose's Tooth !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Way, way way, way over rated. Meh at best.
And definitely not worth the long lines. If you have to go, avoid the lunch crowd and go at 2 or 3 PM.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
And definitely not worth the long lines. If you have to go, avoid the lunch crowd and go at 2 or 3 PM.
Mooses tooth is really good pizza but the process of getting it is such a nightmare that it actually takes away from the flavor. The crowds and loud ambiance is so horrid that the food actually tastes worse when you finally get it. Now if you were some how able to eat a slice (of your favorite without you knowing what your favorite one was) at someones house who went and picked it up and it was still piping hot it is VERY good pizza.

They have let their venue get so out of hand I have to wonder if its starting to effect business. They also refuse to set up a separate building for pick up only or delivery. If they did delivery it would be huge .... provided it was not a 3 hr wait and maybe that's the issue is that they know it would be wildly popular and they would end up with half day long wait times and **** a bunch of people off ...

Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
The Bear Tooth, which is owned and operated by the same people, is just as good and way less busy, in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage