U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 22,115 times

Advertisements

Help! My daugher and son-in-law are moving from California to Anchorage Alaska in May 2008. What type of clothing do they need? Should they wait until they get there.....I don't think our clothes here in CA will be appropriate...duh.

I checked w/REI and all they have are camping type of clothing....is that what they're supposed to wear?

Thanks for your help...by the way, I'm jealous they are moving to Alaksa...I'd love to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 AM

2,801 posts, read 5,877,821 times
In Anchorage, the weather is probably warmer than northern Minnesota. Layers are always best because you can adjust to your own needs. I would suggest waiting until you get there.

Things I liked: gloves over mittens but mittens to go over very thin gloves for those cold days and snow shoveling. GOOD boots. You will wear one or more pair of socks in the boots so dont go with fashion go with comfort and warmth. My favorite pair were sheepskin lined leather. For slush, you can get overboots to protect your good footwear.

Coat: my favorite when I was there was Eddie Bauer down. Not the short and fancy ski outfit type byt a long zippered coat. Double duty with zip out liner even better. Remember it needs a good neck covering. If you go with the Everest temperature coats, you will limit your wear because they will not be useful for the shoulder seasons. Go with a midrange coat unless you are spending a lot of time winter camping or traveling to Fairbanks a lot or the bush.

I wore a lot of knitted scarves that were wide and long because they could be over the head, neck and face if needed.

I found denim to be some of the coldest fabric around. So tight denims will not be your friend.

I walked over a mile to school in pretty ordinary winter wear in Anchorage for over a decade and never got frostbite. So most ordinary sensible winter wear is fine.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM

15,007 posts, read 25,320,077 times
Your Cali clothes should be fine come spring/summer. They should wait on winter clothes until they get here.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,814,844 times
Your CA cloths like Rance says will be just fine here in Anchorage, right now I'm wearing a hoodie and jeans plenty warm. Most of the winter we wear a heavy sweater no real need to wear down unless your are going to be spending a great deal of time outdoors. All of my jackets are fiber - down can be way too hot and once wet no good to you. my prefered boots are Glaciers by Sorel, I'm an ex-southern CA girl myself the first year was tough but once I found boots to keep my feet warm I was set.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,777,534 times
As someone who moved from Los Angeles to Alaska, you want to dress for California's December weather when it is May in Anchorage. It will be in the mid-50Fs to the mid-60Fs in May. Warming up in June to between 65F and 75F. If it gets above 80F in Anchorage it will set a new record high in June, and that is the warmest month of the year.

It may take a year or two before they get fully acclimated to the lower temperatures, but eventually they will consider anything above 50F to be comfortably warm and anything above 70F to be uncomfortably hot.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 23,871 times
Smile Alaska is beautiful!

I lived there for 4 years. They'll love it, although it takes some getting used to. They should pack regular clothing, unless traveling in the winter. they will be able to get whatever they need when they arrive. The summers can be warm, but the warm weather doesn't start until the end of May. It averages about 75-85 in the summer w/ very little humidity. It will be cooler if they are near the coast. Most people buy their winter gear there, because it is easier to find than in the lower 48. If they are taking a car, don't forget to have an engine/transmission/oil pan heater installed before winter. Again, if they go in the summer they will have plenty of time to do this there.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,814,844 times
Summer's in Alaska have surprise visitors lately with it being so warm. All summer long when the sun is shinning you will see the parks full of sun bathers and swimer at the local lakes, we 2 popular lakes in Anchorage that draw quite a few folks in bikini's and other swim wear. Out is Wasilla and Big Lake is great deal more water activities goin on.

Memorial weekend of 1979 the weekend in Moose Pass was 92 degrees, just beautiful. I rmemeber this cuz I was pregnant and came home sun burnt. Spend one season and you should be use to the climate if not go south cuz you will never get use to it.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM

40 posts, read 96,334 times
Layers in all times of the year and down is essential in the winter

Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 PM

686 posts, read 2,734,746 times
Summers are like they are in Seattle except a bit cooler and sometimes rainier. Lows in the summer get down into the 40's and 50's still so it might be good to have a light jacket. Once the end of September hits, it begins getting colder and by mid to late october, you have your first snow. October-April is pretty cold. It's WINTER of course!!! I would bundle up during those months but just dress normally like you would anywhere.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 20,974 times
Hi, We are travelling in Alaska in March, April and May.
We are from Brisbane, Queensland Australia. So our normal climate is warm and sunny.
We are planning on buying our clothes for Anchorage any ideas of the best shop to do this.Also what types of coats, pants and boots will we need. My husband is planning on dog mushing in Fairbanks and will need clothes suitable for this. We are very excited about our advenutre. Thanks for any help you can give. Haveachat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage