Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

We are being transferred to ANC this summer. I have read some of your comments about the high cost of living. What types of things are way higher costs than down here in the lower 48? My company is shipping our stuff for free, so I am wondering if I should load up before I come? Should I buy my snow tires ahead of time and bring them? Winter clothes? A kyak? Cases of soy milk? Good winter boots?
Also, we are torn as to whether we should buy or rent? We imagine house prices are down there as in the rest of the country, but what are the prospects for 3 years from now? Is ANC booming or busting? Would we be able to sell in 3 yrs time? And/Or: Can you rent a decent house in a nice neighborhood, we don't want an apt.
Lot's of q's, it's a big move, any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
Nope we are not suffering the housing crunch as the lower 48's are, I just recently sold my house never even had to market it. A decent home here in Anchoage will run you over $300,000 although you can get a condo for a bit cheaper. Before buying on sorts of items down there, check your sales taxes and remember we don't have any at this time. I haven't found the prices to be much different than down there once you consider the taxes, of course depending on where you are traveling from. For example Seattle's prices are pretty much the same as up here like Gottschalk in Seattle is the same price as Gottchalk's here in Anchorage but they pay sales tax on their goods and comes out to be a bit more than up here. The cost of living is not that much more it's just the produce and dairy goods are not as great as down there for quality.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
The reason the cost of living is so high in Alaska is because everything is flown or shipped in the state. We aren't lacking for anything you can find in the lower-48, we just have to pay more for everything. I would hold off buying snow tires and winter gear until after you have moved to Alaska.

Foreclosures are still up in the Mat-Su Valley, but it is quickly becoming a buyers market. The median price for a home in Anchorage is $265K, the median price for a home in the Mat-Su Valley is $215K. Property taxes in the Mat-Su Borough are 14.8 mils. Property taxes in Anchorage are slightly less at 14.3 mils.

My advice would be to temporarily rent a place in Anchorage or Eagle River, and see what the market is like in both Anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley before deciding whether or not to buy.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 19,444 times
Ship or buy?--Even though my wife's company moved us here, much of our possessions were at the end of their life so we purchased a lot new when we got here. Bulky and heavy items ship. I was looking for a lawn sweeper to pull behind my tractor--$180 on line at Sears, but $400 in the Sears store, and they would not do a buy online ship to a local store for pick up. While my children are older now, my employees tell me Little Tykes toys are hard to come by up here, so those large plastic doll houses and jungle gyms--ship. For the most part, Costco and Sams Club have lower 48 prices. I have not found furniture to be overly expensive, but if what you want is not in stock, then it is a long wait for it arrive. We purchased a Washer and Dryer at Lowes and I found the price to be equivalent to Lower 48 prices.

Housing---as above, I would say $300,000 minimum and up. You can always go to alaskarealestate.com and do some searching.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 28,324 times
We have just relocated to Anchorage and like you will be here for around 3 years for my husbands job. We got the majority of our furniture shipped (for free by my husbands company- I am wondering if you guys work for the same place!) but have also picked up some pieces here. Can't really compare prices for you though as we moved from outside USA.

We decided to rent a property and although there is not a lot on the market right now we were able to see a selection of houses. We ended up with a lovely 4 bed place in a great neighborhood. Paragon properties deal with rentals and were fantastic but there is not much available on their website right now Anchorage Alaska Property Management - Paragon Properties, Inc. (http://www.paragonpropertiesinc.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,674 times
If you have plans on buying a kayak, then yes. Pick one up down there. Any kayaks up here will be higher due to its shipping price.

Our higher cost of living is from the cost of shipping. Unless it was made here(very few items) then you will be paying more. Like $5.00 for a gallon of milk, etc.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
If you have plans on buying a kayak, then yes. Pick one up down there. Any kayaks up here will be higher due to its shipping price.

Our higher cost of living is from the cost of shipping. Unless it was made here(very few items) then you will be paying more. Like $5.00 for a gallon of milk, etc.
Unless you look at the kayaks at the Sportsman Warehouse. For example, the price of Old Town canoes and kayaks are usually set at the factory, much like Honda and Yamaha generators.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Orind take a look on this site: Portable Generators, Heaters + Wood Stoves, Snow Blowers, Pressure Washers | Northern Tool + Equipment I got one of their catalogs today & they have everything under the sun tool-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage