Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times

Advertisements

The family is in the market for a newer (2015 to new) vehicle. We are considering buying without actually going to the dealership (I know there are risks, but it is quite common for bush dwellers to do this), so we are looking for reputable dealerships in Anchorage or even Seattle. There is a possibility, we will be making a trip to Anchorage in January, but we are trying to avoid (small kids start adding up on the costs) a family trip.

Won't be able to get the vehicle to us until April, and we are fine with that. We just want something a little newer and a little more dependable than what we have.

Used or new dealerships are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM

459 posts, read 585,604 times
Why not just buy the cheapest junker you can fine. Can't be a long walk if it is in the village. When it dies just push it off to the side and go get another one ... that is the village way - yes?

There are no reputable dealers. All of them are probably honest but they are there for the same reason you go to work - to make a buck. Unfortunately most people think car dealers are making millions and ripping them off - little do they know. You're probably doing as well as they are and with no risk. So I'd say you can chose any you like and will get the same level of service and likely they are honest people.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Why not just buy the cheapest junker you can fine. Can't be a long walk if it is in the village. When it dies just push it off to the side and go get another one ... that is the village way - yes?

There are no reputable dealers. All of them are probably honest but they are there for the same reason you go to work - to make a buck. Unfortunately most people think car dealers are making millions and ripping them off - little do they know. You're probably doing as well as they are and with no risk. So I'd say you can chose any you like and will get the same level of service and likely they are honest people.
That's probably true now days since Worthington Ford no longer exists, they were truly pieces work. Hopefully Kendall fired all their salesmen too.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Trust the Yelp reviews. Those are more accurate than other websites. In general, I trust franchise dealerships more. However, I was recently burned by a luxury franchise dealership in my area. I am going to have to take them to court.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post

I wouldn't say I live in a village. I have a 8 mile commute to work...lol
And we have paved roads and a police force.

I've seen some ads recently with some of the dealerships in Anchorage that offer no hassle buying. Kind of like carmax down south.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Trust the Yelp reviews. Those are more accurate than other websites. In general, I trust franchise dealerships more. However, I was recently burned by a luxury franchise dealership in my area. I am going to have to take them to court.
One in Buckhead?

Old 11-21-2017, 05:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
One in Buckhead?
Chicagoland

Old 11-21-2017, 05:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I've seen some ads recently with some of the dealerships in Anchorage that offer no hassle buying.

It really is no hassle IF you just agree to the price they give you. Otherwise, maybe, maybe not.

I've dealt with Worthington Ford buying a used truck and they were actually fine. Much better than I thought they were going to be. There were several issues that got resolved quickly and in a way I was happy with. However, it's now Kendall Ford and I haven't dealt with them.

I've also dealt with Continental Subaru for two new Subarus. While they did nothing unethical, they sure don't give those away. They know what it costs to get one bought down south up here and price theirs accordingly, because, hey, where else are you going to go? They'll tack on a "market fee" on top of the MSRP and options and about all you can hope for is to get them down to just the MSRP.

We did buy a used Mountaineer from Continental Honda across the street. That transaction was fairly straight forward.

Although we did not buy from them, Lyberger's seemed decent. I was looking for a truck with specific features and they did not have one. They were friendly about it, didn't try too hard to sell me something else, and we left with a bag of potatoes.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It really is no hassle IF you just agree to the price they give you. Otherwise, maybe, maybe not.

I've dealt with Worthington Ford buying a used truck and they were actually fine. Much better than I thought they were going to be. There were several issues that got resolved quickly and in a way I was happy with. However, it's now Kendall Ford and I haven't dealt with them.

I've also dealt with Continental Subaru for two new Subarus. While they did nothing unethical, they sure don't give those away. They know what it costs to get one bought down south up here and price theirs accordingly, because, hey, where else are you going to go? They'll tack on a "market fee" on top of the MSRP and options and about all you can hope for is to get them down to just the MSRP.

We did buy a used Mountaineer from Continental Honda across the street. That transaction was fairly straight forward.

Although we did not buy from them, Lyberger's seemed decent. I was looking for a truck with specific features and they did not have one. They were friendly about it, didn't try too hard to sell me something else, and we left with a bag of potatoes.
I got a tundra from Kendal and it was a great experience and I felt I got a good deal, it was a brand new truck.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post

Continental Subaru is one I'm curious about. I've considered the buying down south and driving it back thought.

Gotta decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage