Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:34 AM

12 posts, read 11,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have been looking for a job for some time now and this is something I was looking into doing but I have no idea where to even start, I am an engineer (senior chemical and entry level electrical).

If I could look for jobs out of state while staying in Anchorage that would be awesome, not having to do the whole rent out the house, pack and all that crap would be wonderful.
Try looking at the website FlexJobs. You may have to pay a small fee to be able to search jobs, but it is the best site around to see what jobs aren’t open right now that are 100% remote. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Make a list on what you have and where in the trailer it's located. Don't bother bringing guns with you, it's a lot of paperwork to fill out.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I travel through Canada regularly, that last time being November. Their only concern has been rabies vaccination for my dog. There is no need for a health certificate. Just have proof of the rabies vaccination. I've never been asked to show it, but better safe than sorry.
Agreed - rabies certificate, no health certificate. Though I travel back and forth very frequently and am asked to show the certificates more often than not.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You might just need proof of rabies to get into Canada, but the state of Alaska requires a health certificate.

Pet Import/Export

They may or may not check for one at the border when you enter the state. I have no idea what happens if you fail to provide it.
This is outdated info, even from the state site. Health certificate not required. Rabies certificates, yes.

A veterinarian usually has the most updated information.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1323 View Post
Try looking at the website FlexJobs. You may have to pay a small fee to be able to search jobs, but it is the best site around to see what jobs aren’t open right now that are 100% remote. Good luck!
Best of luck with your search.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
This is outdated info, even from the state site. Health certificate not required. Rabies certificates, yes.

A veterinarian usually has the most updated information.
Mizzle, do you have a link to anything that supports what you're claiming? The only date I see on the website at all is 2018.

As far as vets having the most updated info, the vet in Ketchikan tried to tell me I needed full health certificates for my two to even get on the ferry headed south and out-of-state. That proved to be total BS; she was just trying to sell a service and scam me out of $300. She even kept lying about it even after I called her out on her social media page.
However, they are, as of very recently, requiring a full health cert. to be allowed on the ferry going into the state from Bellingham (this is a state of Alaska reg, not a Marine Highway reg).

There may be some confusion here because a rabies cert. is all that's necessary to cross the Canadian border, idk, but the info I provided was applicable to getting into Alaska.

Outdated info or not (and please provide updated info if any in fact exists), if I were going to try to cross the Alaska border going into the state with an out-of-state plate, I'd go by what the official state website said rather than taking someone's word on the internet. Just because frequent travelers who happen to be Alaska residents are often given a pass at the border doesn't mean the same is going to apply to others.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-16-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Mizzle, do you have a link to anything that supports what you're claiming? The only date I see on the website at all is 2018.

As far as vets having the most updated info, the vet in Ketchikan tried to tell me I needed full health certificates for my two to even get on the ferry headed south and out-of-state. That proved to be total BS; she was just trying to sell a service and scam me out of $300. She even kept lying about it even after I called her out on her social media page.
However, they are, as of very recently, requiring a full health cert. to be allowed on the ferry going into the state from Bellingham (this is a state of Alaska reg, not a Marine Highway reg).

There may be some confusion here because a rabies cert. is all that's necessary to cross the Canadian border, idk, but the info I provided was applicable to getting into Alaska.

Outdated info or not (and please provide updated info if any in fact exists), if I were going to try to cross the Alaska border going into the state with an out-of-state plate, I'd go by what the official state website said rather than taking someone's word on the internet. Just because frequent travelers who happen to be Alaska residents are often given a pass at the border doesn't mean the same is going to apply to others.
Nothing in writing, but just be aware that this stuff changes ALL the time and sometimes even vets don't know. My vet was bugging me to get health certs but I go over so frequently I knew it's not needed.

Of course you're right that it's better to be safe than sorry but in the last year I've been over the border both directions upwards of two dozen times and only ever been asked for rabies certs. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but never anything other than rabies if they ask about the animals.

You make a good point that I have AK plates so it's possible that people with other state plates might have a different experience....

Old 03-18-2018, 11:53 PM

Nothing has changed; the info I provided was not outdated. I actually called them Friday because I need to know these things this time of year because I've got out-of-state new hires headed up. Canada lets you in with a rabies cert. but Alaska requires a general health cert. that's issued within 30 days of entry. Border agents obviously have a certain amount of discretion here (you're probably in Homeland Security's computerized system as a resident who does frequent crossings with no problems), but there's no way I'd advise someone with -48 plates to chance it just because Joe Podunk on City-Data didn't get asked.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-19-2018 at 12:17 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Nothing has changed; the info I provided was not outdated. I actually called them Friday because I need to know these things this time of year because I've got out-of-state new hires headed up. Canada lets you in with a rabies cert. but Alaska requires a general health cert. that's issued within 30 days of entry. Border agents obviously have a certain amount of discretion here (you're probably in Homeland Security's computerized system as a resident who does frequent crossings with no problems), but there's no way I'd advise someone with -48 plates to chance it just because Joe Podunk on City-Data didn't get asked.
Aha, I see what you are missing when you read the web site. It is this:

"Only a current rabies certificate is required for dog and cat round-trip movement (i.e. vacation, sightseeing trips, dog shows, etc.) from Alaska to Canada that is not longer than one month. It is important to have the actual rabies certificate as proof of vaccination, not just a rabies tag. A health certificate is not required.
See the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's website for more information on importing animals to Canada: Importation of Pets or call at 250-363-3618. For travel by road through Canada, passengers might also wish to check with Canada Border Services Agency for related information."

Old 03-19-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Aha, I see what you are missing when you read the web site. It is this:

"Only a current rabies certificate is required for dog and cat round-trip movement (i.e. vacation, sightseeing trips, dog shows, etc.) from Alaska to Canada that is not longer than one month. It is important to have the actual rabies certificate as proof of vaccination, not just a rabies tag. A health certificate is not required.
See the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's website for more information on importing animals to Canada: Importation of Pets or call at 250-363-3618. For travel by road through Canada, passengers might also wish to check with Canada Border Services Agency for related information."
Mizzle, I'm not missing anything -- this is from the Canadian website. I am talking about Alaska's requirements for going into Alaska, not Canada's requirements for going into Canada.

Again, anyone going from the -48 into Alaska really should hedge their bets and follow Alaska's official regulations.

I can't make it any more clear. Alaska and Canada are not the same place. What applies at the Canadian border isn't necessarily applicable to Alaska.

I really hope that people moving up from the -48 realize this and don't think that just because Canada doesn't require the thing doesn't mean you won't be asked for it at the Alaska border when trying to enter the state. I sure wouldn't want to be trying to get my dog into Alaska with podunk plates and a border agent who's having a bad day (or one who's just doing his job and asking for the required documentation).

Can't dumb it down any further, sorry, so go ahead with the Canadian border regs and anecdotal "proof" that the vet cert requirement isn't necessary to enter Alaska. I guess if people moving up aren't smart enough to understand the difference and to realize the Canadian border isn't the same as the Alaska border, we don't need them anyway.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-19-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage