Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:37 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Just because you don't like men there is no need to freak out the newbies !!!!!!
lol.

Her very safety is at stake in the number one state for rape and abuse BY MEN and you're just sad you're getting your little male fee fees hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
Mizzle, that's some crazy stuff! Thanks for the warning.

My friend's brother spends summers doing a fishing job in Alaska, and he makes a lot of money. If he's there this summer, hopefully I can certainly connect with him and his co-workers. In addition to the beautiful scenery, I am attracted to Alaska because the field I am in (Psychology) has ridiculously high salaries - plus, no income tax. I figure I'll stay long enough to pay off a good chunk of my student loans and then see from there if I want to stay longer.
You'll have a great time in Alaska. Just don't get into relationships with men (anywhere, IMO, but there for absolute certain).

DO NOT DATE A FISHERMAN.
OMG do not do it.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

While mizzile is almost certainly exaggerating
I'm not. Check the court records of your single dude friends. And then think about how many, if any, of your single dude friends you would want your sister in a relationship with. Why ARE your single dude friends single? You ALL know what I'm talking about whether you admit it or not.

The few good men I know in Alaska (every one of them married, long term married) tell me they wouldn't let a woman they cared about near their friends with a ten foot pole.

It's not only the dangerous and violent ones, OP (and there are plenty of those). It's also the selfish narcissists who just want everything that is within their reach to belong to them. They care nothing for anything deeper than their own "Alaska adventure experience." These grown manchildren are not worth your time. These are people to whom drinking and partying and snowboarding or what have you are the most important things in life. They'll litter. They'll harass. They'll do anything they feel like.

I have just seen this FARRRRR too many times. Far too many. If they are past, say, thirty and single - there is a very very good reason.

Oh and good luck finding one without kids by another woman, there's that as well.

Lastly - accompany them to the doctor and get a full STD check. Don't just let them tell you they are "clean." They aren't. Don't trust a man to either know his status or tell you the truth about it.

Don't like these words, guys? Then do better.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
Whoa, that's a bit of a harsh generalization, don't you think? There's criminals everywhere. But yeah that's probably a good rule of thumb either way (to do a background search on a random person you just met and plan on getting into a serious relationship with.)

Will they need to run a background check on you as well ... maybe works both ways - yes? How would you feel about that?

If I found out a gal had done that to me she would be out the door and disqualified .. no one needs that crap attitude from anyone. And, if someone is that paranoid they are likely a whack job which no one needs or just unstable.

Don't let the mizzile poison the well. If you're not an unkept slob the opportunities are "normal".

I think you will likely be hard pressed to find that golden high dollar job as well.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2018, 12:50 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
lol.

Her very safety is at stake in the number one state for rape and abuse BY MEN and you're just sad you're getting your little male fee fees hurt.

Nope - I am much, much too old for that at 72 and been married 47 years so far to my first and best .. how you doing?

Safety pasty ... all in you head!

Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Living in Alaska and paying off student loans sounds like a smart plan to me.
What makes you say this? Alaska's no longer the place to go to make big bucks and leave, although it sounds like she's in health care so probably safe enough from being laid off.

Quote:
The ratio of men to women would prove favorable to a single female.
And actually, the ratio of single men to women is pretty much equal anymore in Alaska's urban areas. The whole "Men in Trees" thing is another old myth that needs to die.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-02-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
For crying out loud, mizzle.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Mizzle's being kind of OTT, but I think anyone being honest has to admit that this state a)has a disproportionate amount of sexual predators and b)attracts a lot of people who don't play nice with others.

I'm not saying don't date, I'm just saying that whatever precautions you'd normally take in the Midwest, like...double down on that.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
For crying out loud, mizzle.

Exercising caution is always prudent. But when a person takes such a broadly negative attitude towards the opposite sex, it likely says more about them than the opposite sex.

I have some troubles with women and freely admit that is partly due to my own idiosyncrasies. Then again, I grew up wanting to be a "hermit" so perhaps I am being true to myself. Marriage is not for everybody. Many people are perfectly happy being single. Which often bothers those who supplement their income dealing with relationship wars.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
How does that saying go for women in Alaska looking for men to date, 'The Odds are Good, but the Goods are Odd!' or something like that; we have that same saying down in Antarctica for the women when I worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage