Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:48 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I did my 38 years in Alaska
Yeah, during the Klondike gold rush. Your intel (if one can very generously call it that) is not what anyone would call up-to-date, on the rare occasion that you do share actual information - your posts in this forum are consistently full of personal insults and slurs rather than content. It's summer. Get out from behind your computer for a while, get some fresh air, find some perspective. Picking fights with strangers on a forum about a place you lived during your lost youth is not healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
Whoa, that's a bit of a harsh generalization, don't you think? There's criminals everywhere. But yeah that's probably a good rule of thumb either way (to do a background search on a random person you just met and plan on getting into a serious relationship with.)
Yea, but lately in Alaska the crime rate has spiked, normally i tell people not to worry becuase its not stranger crime. But in this case its relavent, most of the crimes are domestic violence and its becoming more prolific in Anchorage. Of course we have alot of sub communities in Anchorage and I am not sure if it is confined to certian groups or if its even across the board.

So depending on your socioeconomic strata it may not be too harsh. Also regarding the military base, those people are constantly being forced moved, deployed, etc thats not a life style everyone wants.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
OP, since you'll be in Anchorage and in a professional career you'll fit just fine.

I do recommend staying away from fisherman though.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, during the Klondike gold rush. Your intel (if one can very generously call it that) is not what anyone would call up-to-date, on the rare occasion that you do share actual information - your posts in this forum are consistently full of personal insults and slurs rather than content. It's summer. Get out from behind your computer for a while, get some fresh air, find some perspective. Picking fights with strangers on a forum about a place you lived during your lost youth is not healthy.

OK - you're the expert for sure but still wrong. I don't pick fights at all but just can not stand smart arses like you that just know everything and make up what you don't know - which is most things.

I sold my last AK property in 2012 .. hardly the gold rush.

Put me on your ignore list please ... hahahaha. But it doesn't matter because you don't matter.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:06 PM

631 posts, read 561,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
You are right. I missed that. My bad. Sounds like marital bliss. Have a good day.
I apologize if the above post offended. I did a check of my motives behind that post, and there was an element of *dig* or *tear down*. Companionship is a fundamental human need. So, again I apologize.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
I sold my last AK property in 2012 .. hardly the gold rush.
That phrasing is an interesting way of obfuscating when you last actually lived here.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Mini-Met tells me that dating is tough because most of the young single people who have much going for them have moved on to greener pastures.

But you'll be in Anchorage, which has a larger population than we're from. You might meet a lot of traveling health care people, idk.

In Alaska, you can check someone's court record online, which is what Mizzle was initially talking about. Keep in mind that it only shows someone's record in Alaska.

Idk about the whole full on background check thing for someone you're just dating. On one hand, I get the sense that you either don't have good instincts -- that's not meant as an insult; some people just don't. Personally, if I were still on the prowl, I'd take any suspicion that something isn't right about a person as a sign I didn't need to be involved with them. On the other hand, people are getting duped by con artists all the time, it seems, so maybe an extra layer of caution couldn't hurt. On the other hand, background checks can be faked. And it's probably useless anyway because the last decent guy on the planet got snagged by Mizzle.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 PM

67 posts, read 167,463 times
Quote:
Well since you went and got all nasty here is the scoop.

Got your panties in a wad over nothing. It damn sure does NOT cost $40K a year to go to college. Maybe you can spend and waste that amount but it isn't necessary. I made enough to be debt free before I was 30 - degree and all. Unfortunately, most kids think college is just a high school extension and fashionable. 90% of them end up with worthless degrees and as you are seeing, their fields are full and people are a dime-a-dozen. All that education and that is all you're qualified for? Oh well, I guess you can teach with the rest of them but it certainly does not sound like you'll be setting up shop soon.

Panty wad #2 - no one was trying to "psychoanalyze [your] life and [and] relationship" - just reviewing the facts friend. Don't post them if they are "sensitive".

Panty wad #3 - no one "judged" you. You must be a touchy-feely type person to read a boat load into the facts.

Fact - take Frostnip like a stinky gas - it will pass
Ummmm... you automatically assumed that i am in a serious relationship and that i am trying to get rich quick. I never said any of that stuff. If i were trying to get rich, i would have chosen business, engineering, or another field that pays better.... So please stop spreading false information about me. K thanks.

And good for you for accomplishing all you have.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's always easier for women. You have two military bases right next door, so lots of single guys there. On top of all the single civilian guys. The downside for you might be the fact that a lot of guys here are outdoorsy types. I hope you're not squeamish about firearms, because most of us have a nice assortment, including pistols, an AR-15 and/or AK-47 and shotguns.
"The odds are good but the goods are odd" => sums up Alaska or Georgia Tech according to some women.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
Ummmm... you automatically assumed that i am in a serious relationship and that i am trying to get rich quick. I never said any of that stuff. If i were trying to get rich, i would have chosen business, engineering, or another field that pays better.... So please stop spreading false information about me. K thanks.

And good for you for accomplishing all you have.
Um dont choose engineering lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage