Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Since Indians are US Citizens I don't think you will have a problem. What tribe do you belong to??
I am betting she is an Asian Indian and not a North American one... Just a thought though.

If that is the case, the procedure to immigrate to AK is the same as anywhere else in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:46 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,693 times
If the OP didn't want a PFD or hunting/fishing eligibility or some other AK benefit, or to bilk another state out of income taxes, s/he wouldn't care at all about being an official resident.

OP, you admit you don't want to live here year round. So just stay a resident of the place you're already at and don't try to cheat the system.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,561 times
Default Gaming the PFD & AK

So, I have this acquaintance that has just come up to Alaska for a few days this summer from his home in Shreveport, LA to go dipnetting and get his 72 hours in AK to qualify for the PFD. He's in the military and was stationed here for a couple of years and then got stationed in Shreveport (his choice), near family but he claims AK as his permanent residence so he doesn't have to pay state income tax in LA and he gets his PFD for himself, his wife and their 4 kids.

He said Fish and Game's opinion is if the PFD office says you're a resident, then so do we.

I'm not in the military (I DO live here in AK), but I could, theoretically, move somewhere else and keep my AK driver's lic. and say I'm an AK resident so, give me my PFD. But this is NOT legal. This is fraud. Why is it not for the military?

I know some will say, "hey military personnel get sent overseas to fight and can't help not being here. Don't they deserve it for their sacrifice?" Yes, in certain, limited circumstances the military should stand to get a PFD without being here, but not people like this guy. He chose to leave AK because he wants to live near his family, but he's happy to receive AK's money and take a vacation up here every year & dipnet so he can legally bring 75 salmon home to Louisiana.

Legal? Someone said Sarah Palin had a law passed while she was Gov. that helps this happen. I don't know about that.

Is it right? Not if you ask me, but nobody cares what I think.

Last edited by 911c4c; 07-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Sounds like AK needs to make some examples of people fraudulently getting their PFD and that will stop. Something with huge fines and jail time. I am not an Alaskan and that ticks me off.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,821 times
Default Alaska

Live there 2 years, then legal resident qualified to get PFD

Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,821 times
Our last winter there it didn't go above 0 for November-March. Saw snow on ground in June and August. For fashion wear people were running around wearing shorts with winter coats in Anchorage. Pretty comical.(haha) Also funny, amusing, is moose walking down street on sidewalks behind people.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,063 times
Default senior hunting & fishing lic

I need some information... I am a 70yr young senior have been living in Alaska since April 2013, my question is?? When can I apply for my senior hunting & fishing lic ?
I have rent, utility, and boat moorage receipts, I have Alaska drivers lic my vehicle is registered in Alaska, and I am registered to vote in Alaska, I think I am doing all the right things but any information will be helpful..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter943 View Post
I need some information... I am a 70yr young senior have been living in Alaska since April 2013, my question is?? When can I apply for my senior hunting & fishing lic ?
I have rent, utility, and boat moorage receipts, I have Alaska drivers lic my vehicle is registered in Alaska, and I am registered to vote in Alaska, I think I am doing all the right things but any information will be helpful..
Here's the details on the Senior License: Disabled and Elderly Alaskans, Licensing and Permitting Options, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
It says you must be a resident, which is defined as living here 12 months. So you've got to wait until April of 2014.
Residency Definitions, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter943 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Here's the details on the Senior License: Disabled and Elderly Alaskans, Licensing and Permitting Options, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
It says you must be a resident, which is defined as living here 12 months. So you've got to wait until April of 2014.
Residency Definitions, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
You can get the application online and either fax or scan and email it in. I just did that on Monday and received it on Wednesday. Do wait until April because they do confirm your residency. I'd wait until the day after you got your Alaska drivers license, since you haven't received any Permanent Fund dividends.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,063 times
Thanks a bunch for the quick answers to my questions.. that's what I thought about getting it but you folks just confirmed my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage