Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:10 PM

14 posts, read 47,692 times

Advertisements

Thanks Karfar and the majority have been positive on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Political threads really don't give you much of an idea of the entire state. You should come up & visit & see if you like the area.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:42 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
With the passage of the homosexual marriage junk in Kalifornia I would get out too. Maybe you should think about Oregon. I here the grass is greener their.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:43 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
I wouldn't use "narrow minded" to describe most Alaskans.

However, a large majority of them are more conservative than (if you'll permit me a small stereotype here) the average Californian.

That said, there are plenty of very cool, very interesting, and extremely "anti-establishment" types here; that's one reason people move here! I'm friends with several of those folks; we just don't talk politics and I don't smoke pot. We get on just fine anyway!

But--you may find your personal comfort zone a little pushed by some of the everyday attitudes. That does NOT mean that more conservative Alaskans, even a die-hard like me, is close-minded. I've actually learned a lot on this site. there's plenty of folks I disagree with on the Alaskan forum as well (many of 'em don't actually live here, but that's ok.) That doesn't mean I don't think what they say has value; once in a while, I'm surprised to find myself in agreement with them.

Whoever you are, you'll probably make friends here--we do have variety.

One thing I'll say; I came up here and met another lady my age who was as liberal/green as you can get. However, she also really liked the lifestyle of hunting/gathering. The first thing she "changed" was her dislike of killing animals. Pretty soon, she was working on a private commercial fishing boat and let's just say...her politics have done about a 180. Living up here may alter your perspective just a tad.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osopaths View Post
Hi, I was thinking about moving to Alaska, but from many of the threads I've read, I have a feeling that people there are narrow minded.

Any comments?
Yes, and no. All depends on the side of the fence you, and an Alaskan, stand on. I see you as being narrow minded, while you may see me as being narrow minded. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just imagine a place where everyone thinks alike

Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 AM

145 posts, read 570,495 times
Or maybe rather than 'narrow or closed-minded' Alaskans (generalization I know) are strong-minded. IMHO someone who knows what he believes and stands up for it is much more of a person than one with no firm opinions.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Or maybe rather than 'narrow or closed-minded' Alaskans (generalization I know) are strong-minded. IMHO someone who knows what he believes and stands up for it is much more of a person than one with no firm opinions.
That sounds good.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,815 times
osopaths--you are never going to know what kind of people are in Alaska unless you go there. Alaska is like no other state in America, there is a different mentality there and Magoon makes a very good point that Alaskans are strong minded. You have to be to live up there.

I think the majority of the people are easy going and fun loving, there is such a wide variety of people up there I think you'll be able find someone you'll have something in common with.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Just imagine a place where everyone thinks alike
Oh wow!!! sounds like one version of hell to me!!! It was my experience, short lived as it was, during our drive about in the State of Alaska (the only state that has fewer miles of paved road than Alaska is Rhode Island) The people we met in various parts of the state were uniformly friendly, curious, endowed with a sense of humor, and just plain fun to speak with. We sensed no closed mindedness, they asked our lines of work, where we were from and seemed pleased to share their knowledge of Alaska with us. They asked about N.C.'s climate and what sort of fishin' we did. There was no mention of politics, religion, sexual inclination (hetero) we discussed things about people, not institutions. We did not discuss the latest fashions, the new trendy place to eat or any movie business gossip. We asked questions about the people we were talking to, and they asked about us, and showed photos of their house being built, we expounded on clearing 2.5 acres out of the middle of our tract, leaving the large poplars and oaks intact, and not messin' with the creek. A fifteen minute leg stretch, Pepsi and a pack of nabs turned into an hour and a half more often than not.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Alaskans are this, Alaskans are that--blah blah blah. We're just people. And it's a big state with a pretty substantial variety of communities and micro communities even.

But I think there is something about living in a less densely populated environment that makes people be...more themselves, I suppose; freer.

I have to laugh.

Quote:
Maybe you should think about Oregon. I here the grass is greener their.
So are the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage