U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 24,136 times
Default Alaska Club?

I'm moving to anchorage in a month and I'm looking for a good place to work out. I have checked out planet fitness but was wondering if anyone here is a member of the alaska club. I would like to know how much membership is for a single person. The alaska club express is near where i will be staying and so it would be very convenient as I won't have a car right away. I tried calling them but they keep giving me the hard sell without any real info on prices.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 26,504 times
Default AK Club

I used to work at Alaska Club and I'm currently a member. They aren't allowed to give prices over the phone because they have a bunch of different types on memberships. Basically in a nut-shell, You can get a Gold-member ship that allows you access to all the clubs any time and use for most facilities for about $70.00 per month. Family is membership is $125.00. If your just going to use one club they have cheaper memberships but there are limitations. You could start uot with a cheaper one, then upgrade later. This club is perfect if you do multiple things for working out, but if you want to just lift wieghts, there are other clubs that are cheaper.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:23 PM

659 posts, read 204,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbneve View Post
I'm moving to anchorage in a month and I'm looking for a good place to work out. I have checked out planet fitness but was wondering if anyone here is a member of the alaska club. I would like to know how much membership is for a single person. The alaska club express is near where i will be staying and so it would be very convenient as I won't have a car right away. I tried calling them but they keep giving me the hard sell without any real info on prices.

Thanks!
Compared to what you would get in the lower 48, the Alaska Club is by far the most over-priced fittness club in the USA in my opinion. But hey, this is Alaska. It is the best Alaska has to offer and is full of modern fittnes equipment and options, but the price is way out of line. The Alaska Club has twice bought out any major competition that has come to Alaska to compete thus creating a virtual monopoly of the health club scene in Alaska. Other then a few mom and pop type gyms, the Alaska Club is your only real choice.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM

17,549 posts, read 11,179,227 times
My Alaska workout costs $25/year and consists of catching as many salmon and halibut as I am able.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 AM

50 posts, read 124,061 times
Alaska club is overpriced. Unless you want to swim, or play tennis or use a climbing wall or some such thing I would not join. I was a member for a year and never got my use out of it. I am a member now of Planet Fitness and think it is great. It's not a big place but they have all the equipment you need for a good workout, and you can't beat the price when it comes to gym memberships - I have the most expensive one they have and it's still only 20 bucks a month. You can't beat that with a stick.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 24,220 times
Default Alaska Club????NO THANK YOU!!!!

Super bad....bad ...bad....I don't even know why people stay a member...ooh I know, because its Alaska and they do not have any other choice and Alaska Club knows it!!! so if you don't like the costumer service, the cleanliness, and more, well NO OTHER PLACE TO GO...so...JOIN ALASKA CLUB....HA...HA...HA. So give your money away and shut the H...up. .... I was a member almost for 1 year at omally rd. location. I was taking all the crap since I really enjoy the workout, but when it came to the managers? They do not have any idea of keeping the place clean and friendly, especially Stacy, front desk manager???? She really needs to go back to school and read books about costumer service and find out why costumers are very important for business, then Mr. Jeff, General Manager..Oh my gosh..He got to my face and pretty much wanted to hit me...I'm a woman!!! 5'8 and 125 lbs...what business does he has being on my face, I'm telling you if I was to be a men he.....he.... , well I realize that Mr, Jeff IS NOT A MAN enough for doing such a thing to me...and the problem was because I finally told them about how nasty the place was, I also told them that they really needed to cleanup the bathrooms up, especially the ones for the woman’s family locker rooms...DESCASTING!!!..well they did not like that, so Jeff really needed to get to my face and challenge his macho manners!!!! PS. I really think that Jeff’s wife is the one wearing the pants around their home so Jeff has an issue with woman at work. If you want any more details about this, please email me at [email]Penelope.rovira@gmail.com[/email] and I will be more than happy to share the story with you. By the way, I do not live in Anchorage anymore since I realize that most of the people there do not have any good skills on how to run a business. Very sad.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM

270 posts, read 160,492 times
Default peneloperovira is right about Alaskan businesses

Most business owners and their employees in Alaska are clueless about quality and customer service, despite all of the price gouging customers are subjected to. From our city services to the local coffee shop, most of these businesses would not be able to cut it Outside if they provided the same slow, uneven to consistently poor, unfriendly service they provide up here. Outside, where there is real competition, customers quickly take their money elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM

11,764 posts, read 17,942,844 times
Club Paris is the one restaurant in Anchorage that I've been to that has had great service.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:46 AM

251 posts, read 419,238 times
costco and online shopping, the only way to go. For work out stuff I just bought some power blocks and a tread mill. If I cant find it at costco I buy it online (with the exception of some food items I buy at a few other places around town). You will learn this really quick in anchorage or you will go broke and you wont even have that great of a time doing it. Heck you cant even find a decent pool hall in anchorage for a decent price without going to a bar, the legion might be the only place.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM

5,964 posts, read 6,992,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Club Paris is the one restaurant in Anchorage that I've been to that has had great service.

I ate there a while back; their food is pretty darned good also. Let me add that I've known a few people who joined the AK. Club; as I recall one used it daily and the others just kind of let it lapse since they found it more fun to just be out walking or hiking.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 01-09-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage