Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM

13 posts, read 40,257 times

Advertisements

Would you be kind enough to share your experiences regarding approximate commute times during rush hour and outside of rush hour from Eagle River, Far South and other points in town to downtown?

What about commuting by bike? Is that crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM

376 posts, read 828,648 times
For the most part, getting around Anchorage doesn't take a long time. I live in South Ancorage, and drive to 36th and C Street for work. In the summer, it may take me about 10-15 minutes, but in the winter it might take 20-30 minutes, which can be dependent on road conditions and/or accidents.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,488,535 times
I'd definitely like some input on the Eagle River to UAA drive, too. If all goes to plan I'll live in Eagle River and work at the VA and go to UAA for my BSN in a few years time.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 PM

376 posts, read 828,648 times
Are you a nurse already with an associates degree? If you are just entering nursing school, you should check with UAA because I have heard they do have a waiting list. I can't tell you at this point in time how long of a wait you would have. I've heard some say it could be up to 2 years. There is lots of options for a BSN on line if you are an associate degree nurse already. I can tell you that I know of a few people that live in the Eagle River area and during rush hour traffic, it may be slow going. The highway can be closed when an accident happens, and there isn't too many options to go around an accident.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:20 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,788,708 times
While we're discussing this, I'd be interested in travel times between Wasilla/Palmer to and from Anchorage. Thanks!

Last edited by cjg5; 11-20-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,488,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL551 View Post
Are you a nurse already with an associates degree? If you are just entering nursing school, you should check with UAA because I have heard they do have a waiting list. I can't tell you at this point in time how long of a wait you would have. I've heard some say it could be up to 2 years. There is lots of options for a BSN on line if you are an associate degree nurse already. I can tell you that I know of a few people that live in the Eagle River area and during rush hour traffic, it may be slow going. The highway can be closed when an accident happens, and there isn't too many options to go around an accident.
I'm looking at the LPN to RN program. Last I heard there wasn't a waiting list but even if there is I'll just knock out the pre-reqs as I wait.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:56 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,089,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL551 View Post
For the most part, getting around Anchorage doesn't take a long time. I live in South Ancorage, and drive to 36th and C Street for work. In the summer, it may take me about 10-15 minutes, but in the winter it might take 20-30 minutes, which can be dependent on road conditions and/or accidents.
I agree that getting around Anchorage is fairly easy - especially given some of the road projects in the last couple years. I do the same commute. It takes me about 15-20 minutes year round, unless as you said there is bad weather. The traffic picks up around 36th, so if you had to go all the way to downtown, it would probably take longer. I would think a commute all the way to downtown might add another 10-15 minutes (in good weather and during rush hour).

Personally, I think the South Anchorage commute is much easier than the Eagle River commute. There are many more arteries to help relieve traffic. Coming from Eagle River, there is really only one going into downtown.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,406,264 times
Depending on where you live in Wasilla / Palmer the commute to Anchorage can be anywhere between 45 - hour 15 mins. In the winter that can easily double, there is one road in and one road out so a single accident ca close the whole road.

Eagle river is about 25-30 minute commute, the Glen Hwy bottlenecks around Eagle river heading north so out times are typically longer than travelling in.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,567,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal2011 View Post
What about commuting by bike? Is that crazy?
I know there's a bike path between Eagle River & Anchorage. I don't know if they keep the snow plowed off in the winter... But it's been 10 below zero that last few days...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM

165 posts, read 551,185 times
There was a 2 year wait for Nursing last year, when my wife tried. Commute times vary daily but 30-40 minutes would be a good average from Eagle River to South Anchorage, in the Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage