U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

21,029 posts, read 22,526,447 times

Advertisements

There are gas stations at Haines Junction, Destruction Bay, and Beaver Creek. Kluane Wilderness Village was closed last August, no more gas there.

You can keep an eye on conditions before you travel at:

Alaska Road Traveler Information Service (http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp?display=all&area=STATEWIDE_AK&textOnly =False - broken link) This has conditions/construction reports for the Alaska Highway in the Yukon also.

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,350,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Farmgirl View Post
Hi! Can anyone give me an idea of what the drive from Haines to Tok is like? I'm mostly worried about gas stations along the way. I'll be driving during the day, and a friend is driving their car along with me, so I'm not worried about being alone. I drive a little pickup and it doesn't get the best gas mileage. Should I be worried about running out of gas or are there enough places to stop along the way? I'll be driving it two weeks from now. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
The first gas available once you cross the border is at Haines Junction, about 150 miles from Haines. We're making the trip to Anchorage from Haines and I figure we can make it to either Beaver Creek or the first station across the border (around 330-350 miles), before filling up. There are stations between Haines Jct. and Beaver Creek if you can't make it that far. From Beaver Creek to Tok is about 110 miles with a couple of stations along the way.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:49 AM

17 posts, read 74,554 times
Thanks everyone for your replies! I just made it to Anchorage, with no problems along the way (other than some slight nausea from all the frost-heave roller coaster roads...jk!). Customs was a breeze on both ends...I even told the lady "That's it?" because I was expecting more, and she thought it was funny! Gorgeous sail/drive!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,645 times
We drove through in December, there was only a handful of gas stations. We carried some extra gallons of gasoline with us just in case. But we did fine. :-) I heard it's gorgeous when there isn't snow on the ground!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage