Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 PM

23 posts, read 135,804 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, I'm desperate to relocate to Anchorage this summer. I am planning to visit in early June. Currently I live in Houston Tx, and am wondering if any one who has made such a big move could advise me... Does anyone know of a good shipping company that is reasonably pried? I will be moving by myself, and would like to avoid driving there if at all possible. I have a one bed room apartment in Houston, not lots of furnature, couch, chair, bed, nightstand, dresser, kitchen stuff, tv, coffee table, car... How much can I expect to spend having all that shipped to Anchorage?

Also just wanted to add that I'm pretty new to this forum, and love it!! Everyone seems so friendly and helpfull! You guys rock!!

Also any other info that anyone may think is important would be grealy appriciated!! I've done lots of reasearch on line, I'm aware of the weather, the dark and light, the cost of living. I also subscribe to the Anchorage daily news online. I check it pretty regularly just to get a feel for the place. Thanks for any info you guys might have for me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 02:09 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Default Moving

'Kay.

There are several companies in Seattle that ship goods and stuff up by barge. Samson is one of them. They are reasonable, and there are others.

and second, drive to Seattle, and catch the ferry from Bremerton to Juneau, transfer to the ferry to Whittier. Cost is about 1300 bucks I think. Check prices on the Alaska Marine Highway site.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:38 PM

>>If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't
>>work there, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in
>>Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed
>>a wrong number, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you know several people who have hit a moose more than once, you
>>may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you have switched from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back
>>again, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging
>>blizzard without flinching, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave
>>both unlocked, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them,
>>you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you
>>may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80 and
>>everybody is passing you, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled
>>with snow, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and
>>road construction, you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you may live
>>in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you find 10 degrees "a little chilly", you may live in Alaska.
>>
>>
>>
>>If you actually understand these jokes, and forward them to your
>>entire Alaskan friends & others, you definitely live in Alaska.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 135,804 times
Some of those apply to living in Texas too!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,240 times
It applies to Maine as well exept our speed limit is 65.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:17 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
It applies to Maine as well exept our speed limit is 65.
HAHAHA, I just read that list and I saw almost all of those same identital "jokes" listed for Maine somewhere else

Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM

19 posts, read 185,666 times
The sad part is the Snow filling the potholes one is entirely true.

And I've hit a moose with 2 different cars. 3 different times and moose though.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Maine vs Alaska

Some of it might be true for Maine, but I seriously doubt they get a phone call from Outside and people want to know about the weather and about living conditions in the Bush. I have vendors calling me in July wanting to know about snow conditions, and whether people still live in igloos. Nobody in Alaska refers to natives as Eskimos. They say native or refer to them by tribe. Frost heaves are expected as are 45 minute delays for construction during the summer months when I wind up behind 15 RV's with rental ads or out of state plates. I've had to avoid the tourists parked on either side of a two lane road to take pictures of rainbows (or moose or bear). I hate the Glenn highway in summer. The haul road to Deadhorse is better in winter, because there are no real potholes, and no dust. And Alyeska is a real bear about the speed limit. Dunno about Home Depot in Maine, but in Alaska, it applies to any job you gotta get done. If you don't get advice, someone will volunteer to help.

No one I know talks about summer construction without cussing. But I've met some of the nicest people waiting for a 10 mile one lane to switch directions, tourists included. You only cuss at them when they're running uphill at 40 MPH in a 65 MPH zone - 10-15 RV's in a line, %$#@&***&#.

Where else can you find people combat fishing, and willing to pass you another hook (or weight, or whatever), because I was too dumb to check my gear before wetting my line. I've actually loaned a spare rod to a guy who busted his on the Kasilof. It didn't hurt me any, and he got to get his limit before going back to town.

Some of it might be true somewhere Outside, but here it's all true all the time.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,513 times
There are so many tourists in Maine from June to early September and then the state goes back to normal, probably much like Alaska. Summer is the only time they do road construction too. The only one that doesnt apply is the snow suit one for Halloween, because it rarely snows in October, but could be very chilly to go trick-or-treating. Also, no one calls to ask about the Bush conditions. Cell phone coverage is spotty though.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Years ago, there used to be snow on the ground almost every Halloween. I remember taking my nieces out, lol. They would run to a house, then back to the car and we would drive to the next house. I don't remember the exact year, but there was about 2 feet on the ground already. That was pretty rough.

Combat fishing....man oh man. I think the Kenai/Russian river was the reason that term was invented. People lined up every foot along the river and people spent as much time fixing lines as fishing.

Lol, tourist season can be a bit rough. Often, I will try to leave really early or really late to avoid traffic on the Seward Highway. I left at midnight and arrived in Homer at around 5 am. It worked out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage