Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,640 times

Advertisements

my bf may take a job in anchorage. It will be a huge change for me because im from nyc and thats where my family resides so i know i will be far far away from them...but im thrilled about the possibility of moving to alaska. My mom said she wants to visit alaska one day so that would give her reason to go there. I have been looking at pics on the net about anchorage..seems really nice. Can you tell me some advantages and disadvantages about living in anchorage besides the weather?? thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
One advantage of living in Anchorage...your not living in NYC. One disadvantage of not living in Anchorage...your not living in Anchorage!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Lived in Charleston, SC for 4 yrs.

Advantages: We speak clearly here - i.e. we don't drone on in tedious southern drawls - unless you count all of the Texas transplants working for the oil companies!

Disadvantages: Best Hot wings I ever had were in Charleston. Haven't found an equal up here yet.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post

Advantages: We speak clearly here - i.e. we don't drone on in tedious southern drawls - unless you count all of the Texas transplants working for the oil companies!

Disadvantages: Best Hot wings I ever had were in Charleston. Haven't found an equal up here yet.
LOL about the Texas transplants working for the oil companies. I understand they are one big annoying click.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
One advantage I can think of is that you won't suffer from the terrible heat & humidity like you are now.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post

Hooters had the best hot wings (and view) in Anchorage before they closed.

Anchorage Advantage:
  • Living among the wildlife, with bears and moose on your property;
  • No sales taxes;
  • Good wages; and
  • Lots of greenbelts and hiking/biking trails.
Anchorage Disadvantage:
  • Living among the wildlife, with bears and moose on your property;
  • High property taxes;
  • High Cost-Of-Living; and
  • High Crime Rate.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM

20 posts, read 88,389 times
Advantages:
*No poisonous anything
*About a million less bugs
*No sales tax! Love that
*It's truly one of the most beautiful places in the world
*Anchorage has some super cute areas with good shopping
*Strong D.I.Y./craft culture
*Dividends, once you've been a resident long enough
*The music/art scene is not going to live up to the expectations of someone who has lived in NYC, but it's better than you're probably imagining.
*Wildlife! I love seeing moose, they're so cute. {I have never seen a bear in Anchorage, and I've lived here for 30 years.}
*Alaska has a very unique sense of humor.
*Telling people you've lived in Alaska never stops impressing.

Disadvantages:
*Long, dark winter. Do not underestimate this, a lot of people have a hard time with the lack of sunshine.
*Higher prices on just about everything, from s&h when you order something to produce. It costs a lot to haul stuff all the way up here and that price reflects.
*You will have a really hard time getting around without a car, though I hear the bus service is expanding.
*High property tax {shrug... would you buy a house here anyway?}
*Driving in the winter. UGH.

People keep mentioning the high crime rate, but I have never once felt unsafe in Alaska, even while walking around at night by myself. Being from NYC I think you'll feel very safe. Though you might be a little bored. lol

Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKirstin View Post
Disadvantages:
*Higher prices on just about everything, from s&h when you order something to produce. It costs a lot to haul stuff all the way up here and that price reflects.
True, there have been many times where I've cancelled an order because the shipping was more than the items I ordered. But the Internet is your friend and you'll eventually learn which companies offer reasonable shipping to Alaska. Many think Alaska is a foreign country and gouge you on the shipping, but others are coming around and offer cheaper options. For example, we got free shipping on a laptop from HP.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 PM

20 posts, read 88,389 times
Yeah some are better than others. The bigger companies are great, and honor free shipping like they do other states. Hopefully it will keep getting better. A few years ago it was typical to pay an extra $15 for anything. The need to order is getting smaller too, since we are getting so many stores and boutiques, as Anchorage becomes more metropolitan.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKirstin View Post
Yeah some are better than others. The bigger companies are great, and honor free shipping like they do other states. Hopefully it will keep getting better. A few years ago it was typical to pay an extra $15 for anything. The need to order is getting smaller too, since we are getting so many stores and boutiques, as Anchorage becomes more metropolitan.
Hmm, do we really want Anchorage to become more metropolitan?? I don't go into Anchorage too often but when I do, I hate how it has lost that "frontier city" touch - way too much building going on there.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage