U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,114,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
I believe I will have to deal with people wherever I live. In Chicago I have encountered many nosey, gossipy, petty, superficial, judgmental, ignorant people. I usually ignore them but if I could avoid them that would be even better!

I am concerned that Anchorage may be full of red-neck racist undereducated hicks that fear or are jealous of "outsiders"?

I don't want the "locals" in my face, grinning--I am a quiet, shy, loner and I prefer to not be bothered.

My definition of bothered consist of communicating with a person for malicious negative reasons.

Where is the best place for me to live where I won't be bothered?

I don't want to be stalked or the gossiped about. I just want to live in peace--I want to feel safe--I want to avoid crime--I want to avoid conflict--I am not seeking any friends--I just want to go home and to work with NO conflict.

I can avoid crime--I don't drink alcohol, do drugs, hang at bars or do anything that would welcome crime. I am low maintenance and do all I can to avoid people. I just want to make sure I move to an area where I can live my life I want to without drama.
I am concerned that Anchorage may be full of red-neck racist undereducated hicks that fear or are jealous of "outsiders"?

I don't want the "locals" in my face, grinning--I am a quiet, shy, loner and I prefer to not be bothered.

Actually, if you feel that Anchorage is full of redneck racist, undereducated hicks, why would you even consider it?? You can rest assured that people in Anchorage and in other parts of Alaska are just as educated as you are, if not more so. And education does not always assure excellent character; to think so, makes one come off as a snob. Why would you think the locals would be in your face grinning? Why do you think others would fear or be jealous of outsiders?? Drama is all over, it's how we react to it.

Is it possible that your attitude of wanting to be left alone comes off to others that you are cold, unfriendly, snooty, and somewhat bitter? I'm not saying you are this. I'm just wondering how you come off to others and perhaps this is part of the problem.

Met's reply to you was right on target. Anchorage is not full of red-necked hicks. You are going to find people that are nosey, gossipy, areas of crime, and just general problems ALL over. There is no perfect place without problems. If there was all of the good people would be there. In all honesty, I think you need to take a look within; you seem to think that people are gossipy and nosey towards you, along with racism. Alot depends upon OUR own attitudes towards ourselves and towards others of how we are treated. Unless you live in total wilderness somewhere you are going to encounter people. People who are idiots, ignorant, and a pain in the butt. However, you will encounter decent people with morals and kindness. You are looking for a place that doesn't exist unless as I said, you live in total wilderness, and good luck with that. I don't know what has happened to cause you to want to avoid all encounters with people, but alot of times we just need to take a look at ourselves; how we come off to others and our own attitudes. Enough preaching here now. Good luck.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-16-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM

14,943 posts, read 25,051,891 times
I have that in my area. Although I choose to go have a beer with the oldtimers in the middle of the day, or go check the mail, or go to town for groceries on occasion, my area is nice and quiet. Sometimes there is no avoiding communicating with others. But I have the option to go home and work in the garden, or lay around the house doing nothing, or spending time out at the lake surrounded by wilderness and no people, or socializing at the local watering hole in the middle of the day. Being a loner is not neccesarily a bad thing. I've been that way for the last 17 years! I don't have honking horns, mass amounts of rude people, major crime, etc.

I might be considered a redneck hick tho! Along with some of my neighbors. Some of the best people you will ever meet!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I have that in my area. Although I choose to go have a beer with the oldtimers in the middle of the day, or go check the mail, or go to town for groceries on occasion, my area is nice and quiet. Sometimes there is no avoiding communicating with others. But I have the option to go home and work in the garden, or lay around the house doing nothing, or spending time out at the lake surrounded by wilderness and no people, or socializing at the local watering hole in the middle of the day. Being a loner is not neccesarily a bad thing. I've been that way for the last 17 years! I don't have honking horns, mass amounts of rude people, major crime, etc.

I might be considered a redneck hick tho! Along with some of my neighbors. Some of the best people you will ever meet!
I know exactly what you're saying. At work I have to be a "people person." However, in my private life I am somewhat a loner. Never been big on lots of socialization. My husband is much more a loner then me. I have a small circle of friends that I've had for years. I like peace and quiet and do not like crowds period or people living on top of me. Other then one neighbor who we are good friends with, the rest of the neighbors are the type you simply wave to and go on about your business. Nothing wrong with being a redneck hick, lol. My husband and I may be considered the same. No matter what one is, the important thing is their character. I try to be decent to everyone I meet and sometimes that is hard lol. Good people come from all backgrounds.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM

21 posts, read 93,680 times
Default isolation

I believe I just like being alone. Regardless of the people around me I prefer my own company. Now that I have acknowledged that I am ready to move forward. Alaska is so far away and getting there will be a chore. Now what?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 2 days ago)

31,343 posts, read 36,955,458 times
Actually, there is a decent sized black community in Anchorage, about 7%, due mainly to the military bases in the area. I want to say most live on the East side of the city. Fairbanks another city in Alaska has a higher Black percentage, around 12% and has had a Black mayor before. That further up in the state though. Here are some articles about this mayor and the demographics of Anchorage:James C. Hayes: Alaska's first black mayor - mayor of Fairbanks | Ebony | Find Articles at BNET

The Pastor of Lily of the Valley Church of God in Christ (http://www.lilyofthevalley.org/body_pastor.html - broken link)

Anchorage Borough QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM

117 posts, read 255,446 times
If getting away from "superficial materialistic fake people" is your goal, Alaska is your place. People here are very down to earth. No one will bother you if you want to be by yourself, yet people will be very helpful if you are in distress. The culture shock coming from Chicago may be suprising.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNana View Post
If getting away from "superficial materialistic fake people" is your goal, Alaska is your place. People here are very down to earth. No one will bother you if you want to be by yourself, yet people will be very helpful if you are in distress. The culture shock coming from Chicago may be suprising.
In all honesty, Alaska is not exempt from "superficial, materialistic, fake people." I've not seen any place that doesn't have folks like that. I've met folks like that in Anchorage (especially). What I'm saying is everywhere you will meet people like that, and you'll meet with good, decent, down-to-earth people also. You can weed the fakes out very quickly and ignore them, or laugh at them.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 35,371 times
I work with two black people from chicago. they love it here. LOL that seems kind of racist somehow...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM

13 posts, read 35,371 times
rance is there anywhere that you're not? LOL say.....I like your photo!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 AM

14,943 posts, read 25,051,891 times
Have days off...will travel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage