Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 27,288 times

Advertisements

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas right now and I am planning on moving to Anchorage this summer with my stuff in my car, and my dog at my side. One thing I want to ask about though is, what kind of dogs are usually seen around Anchorage? I want to make sure it won't be TOO cold for my little friend there. She's a tough girl and I think she'll do just fine but I just wanted to find out if there was a large majority of one breed there or not. Thanks. -Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
I know folks with chihuahuas and Jack Russell's, but by far the most common breed in Anchorage seems to be Labs.

Anchorage is no colder and sometimes warmer than Chicago. I should know, as I grew up there.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 PM

16 posts, read 71,985 times
Default One fuzzy, one not...

I live in Anchorage and grew up in Soldotna. Right now I have a Lhasha Apso (Squirt) and a 5 lb Chihuahua (Dolly). They both get along just fine. Dolly wears a sweater when we take her for walks in the winter and spends very little time looking for that "perfect spot" when she needs to do her business outside. She sleeps under the blankets at night. There are a lot of Chihuahua's in Alaska, you just have to be careful - Eagles and owls think they are food.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 PM

That's interesting, I was expecting to hear about the larger breeds being more popular, such as Huskies or Alaskan Malamutes(seeing as how they're from Alaska). Haha. My dog is an Australian Cattle Dog, or Blue Heeler. She's medium sized at about 40 pounds.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 PM

She'll be fine. Most of the dogs have a great time up here, but make sure you get her used to the area you move to, as orientation is as important for the dog as it is for kids.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,599 times
Default vaccination record

Don't forget to bring your vaccination records, I got jammed up going from AK into Canada and had to drive back to Wasilla to get them. The exception of course is if you are taking the Marine Highway, I assumed you'd be driving through Canada. Another thing to think about is guns and ammo. Don't bring any, and I mean ANY handguns or ammo through Canada, you'll be crucified if you're caught. If you're bringing long guns, all the paperwork necessary for Canadian Customs is available on the internet and I've found the Customs folks [i]really[i] appreciate it if it is done ahead of time.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 AM

222 posts, read 1,045,587 times
I assume that if you want to bring your handguns and ammo to AK you would have to have them shipped from one FFL dealer in the lower 48 to another FFL dealer in AK since Canada won't allow them to be transported through their country.

What about pets that don't get vaccinations...like parrots, what do you need to get them across Canada and into AK?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 AM

I don't have any firearms, it won't be a problem.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,599 times
Default vaccinations

Hey Cajun..my wife's pet dove is still living in Wasilla, we haven't flown there, only driven. Canada wouldn't let us bring the dove through, the only way to get her here is to fly. Don't ask me why, it didn't make sense to me. I do know that they would not let me enter from AK without vaccination records for my now dearly departed lab, no ifs, ands or buts. I checked into flying the dove here as one would a dog, but NWA (the only airline flying direct from MN to AK) wouldn't do it. The bird has a good home there, but it makes it awful inconvienient when ther are so many rules one has to discover and follow.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Another way to go is to catch the ferry from Bellingham WA to Juneau, and catch another ferry from Juneau to Whittier or Valdez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage