Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times

Advertisements

Last winter, one of our trucks slid off to the side of the road up by Glen Alps. No traction at all, but two guys slid the truck back onto the road by pushing ot from the side, and then one guy got into it and they "surfed" back down to a graveled portion of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,457 times
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like the views and the wind are the major pros and cons. Hmm, the views are there everyday and the wind only happens a few days a year. That sounds like a no brainer.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:26 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,015,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like the views and the wind are the major pros and cons. Hmm, the views are there everyday and the wind only happens a few days a year. That sounds like a no brainer.
I prefer to look at the bright side - I've NEVER had to rake leaves on my property!

Always wondered where they all go and who gets stuck with them.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,351 times
The hillside winds are way more than a few days a year!

If it were I, with the price of gas, I would consider where my work site was & how long of a commute. I commute from midtown to downtown & that's a lot right now with the gas over $4!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
The hillside winds are way more than a few days a year!

If it were I, with the price of gas, I would consider where my work site was & how long of a commute. I commute from midtown to downtown & that's a lot right now with the gas over $4!
Really? How many days more than a "few?"

Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Really? How many days more than a "few?"
Last winter, I figure probably about every two weeks or so, lasting two or three days each time. Basically, the low pressure systems that move up from the gulf (which are a predominate winter pattern) bring high winds on the leading side due to the pressure change, then dump snow as the backside moves over. The one “advantage” to this pattern, at least at my place because we’re somewhat exposed out on a bluff, is that the high winds often scrub off the existing snow from the ground before leaving the new stuff, so we usually only have one storm's worth of accumulation to deal with at any one time. Makes plowing my driveway a little easier. Of course it’s really specific due to the local topography, and any sheltered areas collect the blowing snow making ground accumulation quite variable.

It's kind of like the leaves in the fall. On the really high wind days, I sometimes notice snow falling down in the city, even with no clouds around. Then I realize it's really just the snow being blown off the Mountain tops and falling downwind in the bowl! There have been a few days where I've left my house for work in the morning in 60 mph gale-force winds, only to find dead calm and fog at the bottom of the hill when I get to the highway!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 09-30-2008 at 11:59 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Moose have you tried just coasting down the hill?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Moose have you tried just coasting down the hill?
That actually works pretty well as I only have one stop sign between my house and the highway...unless I get stuck behind the darn school bus!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Moose,
Does it make a difference where you are on the hillside when it comes to the wind? Are you referring to upper hillside area? What about the Goldenview area, which is what I would consider lower (at the most, mid) hillside. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Moose,
Does it make a difference where you are on the hillside when it comes to the wind? Are you referring to upper hillside area? What about the Goldenview area, which is what I would consider lower (at the most, mid) hillside. Any thoughts? Thanks
Yes, it actually makes a big difference. Anchorage can be broken up into many different microclimates which can show surprising variability due to particulars of elevation, topography, exposure, etc. In particular, Upper, Mid, and Lower Hillside will experience different wind conditions, with Upper hillside being the most extreme. I just went back and re-read your initial post and noticed you did say Mid hillside, so that won’t be quite as windy as where I’m at on Upper hillside, but now that you mention Goldenview, which is down closer to Turnagain Arm, that will be different as well. Though I haven’t actually been down in that area when the winds are blowing, I do know that when the National Weather Service issues a high wind warning for Anchorage, it’s usually worded in the form of: “High winds expected for Turnagain Arm and Upper Elevations”.

As I mentioned, I live on the Upper Hillside and work in Midtown. There is a running joke in the office among us who live on the hill that the weather at home will always be opposite of that when we leave work. On days when it is actually windy down in the city, it will often be calm up on the hill, and vice versa. Many times when the Chinook winds are really blowing up on the hill, you won’t even notice a thing down in the city, particularly in winter when the inversion layer effectively builds a brick wall between upper and lower elevations.

It’s not that bad though, and you just learn to deal with whatever it takes. That’s part of the fun of living here. Nobody ever said the weather in Alaska is boring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage