Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times

Advertisements

I left my home of Anchorage, Alaska almost 2 years ago for Orange County, CA. I have not been right since. I am still homesick to this day and reading these threads makes it even worse sometimes . I was warned before I moved here too....huge mistake...now hubby has no interest in moving back! I can't believe I left AK for SoCal of all places. I don't really know what the point of my thread is, I guess I just wanted to express how much I miss home. Please enjoy it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Come on home!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 AM

607 posts, read 1,333,758 times
You poor thing! I spent the summer up in AK, and miss it tons- you must feel it a million times worse.
Does your husband know how unhappy you are? Perhaps he'll soften to the idea of going back...?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Definitely go home.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:49 PM

He knows I'm not happy here. The ONE good thing I have going for me here at this point is my school situation. I'm considered a resident now ( scary ) so going to the local community college is super affordable ( surprising ). So I've acquiesced to the fact of staying here just until I finish school. After school = OUT. If I can't convince him to go back home, we are considering Kalispell, Montana ( where he grew up and I actually have family too ) . Montana would kinda be a compromise. We've also considered Dallas, Texas - a lovely city if I might add! Strange but I like their crazy weather. But neither one of us have any family there and I would like family near when we start a family. BarkingOwl, are you native to Alaska or NC? I've always wanted to see NC, it sounds like a lovely place as well.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
BarkingOwl, are you native to Alaska or NC? I've always wanted to see NC, it sounds like a lovely place as well.
Neither actually. I suppose I'm native to Massachusetts since I grew up there. NC is getting very spendy & that coupled with our gas shortage is making life here uncomfortable. But it is a very pretty state, definitely worth coming out & checking out.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 98,214 times
If you want to visit North Carolina either go to the far far west or the far far east (outer banks). I am from the Charlotte area but I moved to eastern NC for school in 01. I really don't like eastern NC or the piedmont of NC. Developement is out of control (believe me I regulate the stuff)! NC is a nice place to visit but VA is better!!! I plan on moving to AK in the next 6-8 months to get away.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,258 times
What ever you do AKgirlinCa..........please, I repeat please, do not got to Dallas, Texas. Unless you are very young, and don't plan on living there forever. It's a nice place to live for a year, if only to experience the mild winter. If you are used to the four seasons, and Mountains, Dallas just isn't going to cut it. Good luck in your journey!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Sweetie Pie

Thank you for your reply! What is the deal on Dallas? Did you ever live there? I'm interested to hear your feedback. It is highly unlikely we would end up there; but I know it would be better than SoCal!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
AKgirlinCA- I know what you are talking about. Sorry you have the homesick feelings too. Dh and I left, (oh my gosh!!) almost 16 years ago, and have not been truly happy with anywhere else we have lived since. And we have lived in several states, right now in San Antonio, Texas. We hope to go back once the kids finish school. We have liked many places, but Alaska was home, and there is nothing like it for us anywhere. No one really warned us it would be like that before we left- but they had plenty to say when we did--- they weren't surprised. I hope that you will be able to return one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage