Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 AM

31 posts, read 177,728 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into a military posting near to Anchorage amongst other places.

We like to walk our dogs, ride our mountain bikes and motorbikes, have a healthy amount to spend on a house and are fairly liberal, open-minded non-judgemental people in our late 30s with no children (the dogs are our kids).

We love scenery, not too bothered by shops etc but a few nice good quality restaurants and bars would be a plus.

My question is will we like living in or around Anchorage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM

364 posts, read 991,097 times
I think you will and I recommend trying it out. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Alaska is for some people. For others,it's not quite their cup of tea. Just do me a favor - don't be like so many idiots and let your dogs run around without a leash. Wildlife is abundant and I get so angry when I hear about another dog being a meal for wolves just because they let their dogs run around without a leash.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 PM

I did wonder about the whle dog on leads thing, its a tough one as our dogs are Lurchers and need to run everyday (also they are young and have lots of energy). That would be a huge downside for us. Hmmmmm....

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Who was talking about the eagle carrying off the poodle?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 PM

OMG, great photo opportunity but not so great for the owner! My dogs are only used to rabbits and Deer in the forest here in the UK, I think they would be inquisitive enough to get themselves into trouble! Mind you, one of them saw a Swan for the first time on the river today and ran away as soon as it hissed at him! He is a big girls blouse for such a big dog!

I think we may have to rule Alaska out on the extreme dog walking conditions, but weather and wildlife wise. Maybe we'll just come visit in the summer in an RV. when we retire!!!

Thanks you everyone for posting. Arizona and Colorado still to be ruled in or out now.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,810 times
The quality of life in AK is great. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be coming back to Anchorage to attend UAA if I didn't like it. I had three dogs when I lived up there and I never had a problem. I had some moose come up into my yard that my dog wanted to nip at but that was about it. Anchorage is JUST LIKE any other american city. it's just misunderstood. People aren't that familiar with it. I'm leaving the heat of Arizona for the beautiful weather of Anchorage in Jan. can't wait!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM

We have pretty much decided to visit Alaska in the summer for a few months in an RV when we retire in a few years when on our great road trip. That way we'll get to see anyway.
We are favouring Colorado Springs at the mo, we were considering Tucson but I really think I'll be miserable in that heat, there are only so many clothes you can take off! Lol!

I wish you a good time in Anchorage!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 10,285 times
libby go home

Old 03-12-2009, 05:19 PM

119 posts, read 387,427 times
Have a great visit, I'm sure you will enjoy the scenery, the activities and the people here. Don't be discouraged about dog walking, there are plenty of safe places to let your dogs get the exercise they need. Wildlife vs pets incidents are very rare, and usually result from people not using common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: